Email from Comfort insurance about BREXIT

Admin

Administator

This is not a debate, I am just going to repost the message sent to me by Comfort Insurance for reference.

BREXIT - Guidance For customers travelling in Europe with a policy underwritten by Aviva

With negotiations still continuing over the United Kingdom's exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, we want to provide (as best we can) an update on the potential impact on our customers, should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement. It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but customers should be aware of the potential implications in respect of motorhome insurance and travel in Europe.

As the United Kingdom is currently due to leave the European Union on 29th March 2019, any trip that ends before this date will not require a Green Card unless you are travelling to any of the following countries: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Israel, Morocco, Montenegro, Tunisia or Turkey. In the event of a “no deal “ Brexit, customers travelling to Europe may need to take action for some types of cover, however we can only issue a Green Card 21 days before the start of your trip. You should therefore contact us at the appropriate time for us to issue you a Green Card. As of 27th February it appears increasingly likely that there will be an extension to negotiations, in which case there will be no changes for the time being. We will continue to monitor political developments and we are engaging with our underwriters/regulators, so we can minimise any regulatory or operational difficulties that might arise, and we are seeking to provide the service our customers expect whatever the Brexit outcome.

Why do customers need a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary minimum insurance cover. It certificates that the policyholder is suitably insured to drive abroad. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at a border without a physical Green Card, they may not be allowed to drive in that country.

What does it mean for our customers?

At present, Comfort policies allow policyholders to drive within the European Union, cover is still in place and nothing will change. If you are planning a trip that is completed before the 29th March 2019 then there is no change.

How will we be issuing Green Cards?

The process of issuing Green Cards for driving within the EU is currently being implemented by Comfort Insurance. Until more certainty is provided about the formal Brexit agreement on 29th March, the interim guidance is that you should contact us if you intend to drive abroad three weeks before travel, and we will issue and send the required document. From 1st March there will be no charge when we issue a Green Card.
We will keep you updated with further information when there is more clarity regarding the long term implications of Brexit.

Will a UK driving licence be valid to drive in the EU after 29th March 2019?

While it is too soon to say, in the event of a “no deal” situation, the Department for Transport has indicated that you may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU. This would need to be shown in conjunction with a UK driving licence. The IDP is issued by the Government via Post Offices; Comfort Insurance cannot issue IDPs. It is important to note that there are different types of IDP, and this will depend on the country you will be driving in:
  • A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or
  • A 1968 Convention IDP covers all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland
Whatever the Brexit outcome, we will continue to update customers with further information and/or actions you may need to take as soon as we can.

Please note that a lot of the changes taking place will only apply in the event of a “no deal”. There are actions taking place to keep the pan-European Green Card which is already part of your insurance policy so an additional Green Card may not be required.

As this is a rapidly changing issue we will keep our customers informed of progress.

Please send me Darren’s contact at AIB so I can make sure I am ok

Forget it I found it in the discount bit.

Last edited:
What might be useful to know is if there are other countries OUTSIDE the EU (or EFTA) where an IDP may be required once the UK has left the EU.
I am thinking in some Countries, a UK Driving License was sufficient because it was also an EU driving license, and not just because it was an EU one.

What might be useful to know is if there are other countries OUTSIDE the EU (or EFTA) where an IDP may be required once the UK has left the EU.
I am thinking in some Countries, a UK Driving License was sufficient because it was also an EU driving license, and not just because it was an EU one.

There has been a focus by many people on International Driving Permits because of the adoption of the 1968 version of the agreement by most countries in the EU. IDPs have become necessary due to Brexit for travel in the EU. Brexit ahs meant the withdrawal from the EU scheme to dispense with them internally. IDPs are not something unique to the EU. They are used worldwide in more than 140 countries and may well be needed if you need to rent a car for example while on holiday. The Post Office is keeping up to date with the changing situation and they have an IDP checker service which covers every country on their website here https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

There has been a focus by many people on International Driving Permits because of the adoption of the 1968 version of the agreement by most countries in the EU. IDPs have become necessary due to Brexit for travel in the EU. Brexit ahs meant the withdrawal from the EU scheme to dispense with them internally. IDPs are not something unique to the EU. They are used worldwide in more than 140 countries and may well be needed if you need to rent a car for example while on holiday. The Post Office is keeping up to date with the changing situation and they have an IDP checker service which covers every country on their website here https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker
Thanks for that. I did actually understand the focus was on the EU remarkably enough. Your reply did not actually answer my point until you posted the link, so thanks for that link anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit
and
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit#IDP-Checker

Are conflicting in the need to have an IDP

P.O. states you need one for all countries whilst the gov.uk shows which IDP is needed with a note when it is actually needed.
Good Info :)
I thought there would be a change requirement for Non-EU (and non-EFTA) countries following an exit from the EU - the Govt website seems to make it nice and clear (which is a remarkable achievement from a government website! must have Outsourced that bit :D )

Reactions: Rec
If you have an Irish passport are you treated as a eu citizen. Is your driving licence British or European?
Driving test taken here in this country.
Would you still need a driving permit to hire a car in Spain?
Thinking out side the box for a mate.
Cheers.

Good Info :)
I thought there would be a change requirement for Non-EU (and non-EFTA) countries following an exit from the EU - the Govt website seems to make it nice and clear (which is a remarkable achievement from a government website! must have Outsourced that bit :D )
However, the Govt website is incorrect. For example, we've driven regularly in Australia on our UK licences and hired cars a few times. The hire companies always accepted our licences without IDPs and so did the police when we were randomly roadside checked. However, the UK Govt website says we need a 1949 convention IDP. The Australian Govt website says,
In most Australian states and territories (the exception is the Northern Territory), you are able to drive on a overseas licence as long as it is current.
Checking the VicRoads website, we need one of:
  • An overseas licence written in English;
  • An overseas licence together with an official translation into English; or
  • An IDP.
Our UK licences are written in English and so completely acceptable in most of Aus. Our son emigrated some time ago and drove on his UK licence for six months before he was obliged to obtain a VIC licence.

I note that the UK Govt website says that "In some countries, you’ll only need to get a permit in certain situations. For example, if you’re hiring a car, or if you’ll be there for more than 30 days.", but UK licence holders don't need an IDP unless (possibly) they're going to drive in NT. I guess the best thing would be to check both the UK Govt and PO info but then investigate further to find if you actually need an IDP.

All this discussion has got me digging around on the web. I think that any sovereign country can make its own rules on this. So whether or not it has ratified the Vienna Convention in its various forms a country can accept alternative documentation as it may decide as is evident in the Aus information given above. However if you can avoid glazed eyes reading the stuff below you will see from the first link that some countries have not been applying the requirements of the 1949 convention correctly.

There are various versions of the 1968 Vienna Convention. The most recent was proposed in 2018 - see here
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2018/wp1/ECE-TRANS-WP1-2018-1e.pdf
and adopted in Oct 2018
http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2018/wp1/ECE-TRANS-WP1-165e.pdf

The UK signed the 1968 Vienna Convention in 1968 but did not ratify it until 28 March 2018 immediately after the 76th session of the Convention on Road Traffic (1968) see here
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2019/9780111177600/pdfs/ukdsiem_9780111177600_en.pdf

Two further points of interest
1 Drivers depending on foreign driving licences will need a 1968 IDP from the country issuing the licence before coming to the UK
2 From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers (this includes private individuals) over 3,500kg before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. I would think this may affect a few forum members. There is no need to register if you are staying in the UK.
This means that these trailers making international journeys will need to:
  • be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • display their own registration plate (separate from the vehicle towing them)
  • be able to present the Trailer Registration Certificate to a foreign authority on request
Taken from
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trailer-registration

However, the Govt website is incorrect. For example, we've driven regularly in Australia on our UK licences and hired cars a few times. The hire companies always accepted our licences without IDPs and so did the police when we were randomly roadside checked. However, the UK Govt website says we need a 1949 convention IDP. The Australian Govt website says,
Checking the VicRoads website, we need one of:
  • An overseas licence written in English;
  • An overseas licence together with an official translation into English; or
  • An IDP.
Our UK licences are written in English and so completely acceptable in most of Aus. Our son emigrated some time ago and drove on his UK licence for six months before he was obliged to obtain a VIC licence.

I note that the UK Govt website says that "In some countries, you’ll only need to get a permit in certain situations. For example, if you’re hiring a car, or if you’ll be there for more than 30 days.", but UK licence holders don't need an IDP unless (possibly) they're going to drive in NT. I guess the best thing would be to check both the UK Govt and PO info but then investigate further to find if you actually need an IDP.
I am guessing some places tend to waiver the IDP.
I noticed the USA is listed as a Country that requires an IDP, but when I have rented cars in the USA I have just shown my UK License. However that is the Rental Company of course - what would have happened if I had to show the license to the Police after an RTA might be another matter.
Not driven or rented in any other countries outside the EU/EFTA area so don't know about any others.

Thanks Phil, I'd not had the email off Comfort yet so the heads up was timely.Off in a few weeks so ordered one today.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back