EU Pet Travel

My understanding is that we will go back to doing the titre (blood) test post vaccination. This can be done anywhere by any vet. If the dog passes it will be entered in the passport and that will be the end of it. If the dog fails i.e has not enough antibodies to rabies, a second vaccination is given and that really is the end of that. No more blood tests needed ever again. I have already taken the precaution of doing this as it was the UK that wanted that test all along and the EU overruled us. I once had a dog fail the test which meant the vaccine was not strong enough protection against rabies.

Once that is out of the way we will have to visit the vet, who must be a vet approved by DEFRA for such purposes, up to 10 days before entering Europe to get a health certificate stating that the dog is healthy and vaccinated against rabies. Europe is not accepting the pet passport as proof. Most practices will have a DEFRA approved vet on their staff. That certificate is valid for 4 month travel in Europe.

Then we will have the usual requirements to worm the pet before return to the UK.

We have made an appointment with our vet, for an Animal Health Certificate, to be issued nine days before we take the long road South in March. To transfer all the information from the Pet Passport we have been quoted £21.40
This palava has to be repeated each time we go abroad, somebody’s obviously woken up one morning and thought ‘what can we do today to bugger up a perfectly good Pet Passport System. I know.......’.

Reactions: Rec
Yup! Of course if some sort of deal is done then we may not end up as a "third country" which may, in turn, mean that our Pet Passport is accepted. Third countries include many, such as Mongolia , Syria etc that have high levels of disease among their animals. I am hoping that Brussels is bigger than being so petty as to ask for health certificates from a country such as ours.

ASFAIK from 1st Jan we will not be able to use the Pet Passport as that applies only to members of the EU and therefore, regardless of any deal, we will need the AHC. A Titer test for the rabies vaccination will not be required.

All the relevant info is on the link to the Gov website given by greyduster.

Ah, yes, the titre test is only required if you are travelling from "unlisted" countries. Depending on what sort of deal we get I would not be surprised, however, if it were not reintroduced by our Government.

We have made an appointment with our vet, for an Animal Health Certificate, to be issued nine days before we take the long road South in March. To transfer all the information from the Pet Passport we have been quoted £21.40
This palava has to be repeated each time we go abroad, somebody’s obviously woken up one morning and thought ‘what can we do today to bugger up a perfectly good Pet Passport System. I know.......’.
I guess that decision was made in June 2016 😀

You really only need your vet to certify that the dog is healthy on the day of examination and its rabies vaccinations are up to date. Mind you whatever the vet had to do we would have to pay for their time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back