European Travel after 29th March 2019 - Driving Permits

paulhelenwilko

As Brexit approaches and for many of us are thinking of organising our trips to the continent the rules on travel are a little fluid. I have started this thread as an easy access reference point. It is not for political comment, just for people to share information as they come across it. I have started similar threads on Travel Insurance and Pets.

Apologies for plagiarising other threads but thought it useful if the info was all pulled together.

I am grateful to Pete and Lisa (r4dent) for posting this info on Wild Camping :

Driving in EU after 29/3/19 - UK government statement 14/1/19
..... "From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.
If you hold a UK driving licence you should not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from 29 March 2019 as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries...."
N.B. [IDP = International Driving Permit - £5.50 from the Post Office]

The information that probably affects most of us is :​

1547644078225.png
Paul​

Last edited:

GeordieBoy

I am leaving for France / Italy on Wednesday 23rd January and not returning until mid April. In case of no deal I have been charged £15 administration fee by Caravan Guard to provide me with Green Card for insurance purposes and my local main Cheltenham Post Office will issue me with International Driving Permit IDP on Monday in 10 min process if I pay £5.50 and have passport and current passport sized photograph from local supermarket photo booth for £6. Not sure if I will need them but safety first!

moonshadow

Rally Organiser
As Brexit approaches and for many of us are thinking of organising our trips to the continent the rules on travel are a little fluid. I have started this thread as an easy access reference point. It is not for political comment, just for people to share information as they come across it. I have started similar threads on Travel Insurance and Pets.

Apologies for plagiarising other threads but thought it useful if the info was all pulled together.

..... "From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.
If you hold a UK driving licence you should not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from 29 March 2019 as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries...."

Paul​

NB the relevant word is MAY
with this link you can sign up for email alerts from the DVLA https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit/requirements-for-all-uk-citizens-driving-abroad-from-29-march-2019

WillyO

Paul​
Much appreciated Paul as I aim to do my first road trip to Portugal this year.Willy.

EJB

Free Member
Checked with my local post office this morning to confirm that that will be one of the 2,500 POs supplying permits from 1st February.
They confirmed that they would.....so at least they are up to date.
Did try the telephone but it is a centralised PO number and is rather confusing and complicated!

paulhelenwilko

The Gov has updated some info today 1st Feb. Specifically the update today refers to :Changes to vehicle number plate, registration document and insurance requirements for all UK drivers driving in the EU after Brexit.

Guidance
Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit
What all drivers from the UK may need to do to drive in the EU and EEA when the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.
Published 25 October 2018
Last updated 1 February 2019 — see all updates
From:Department for Transport, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, and Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

Contents
  1. Requirements for all UK drivers when driving abroad from 29 March 2019
  2. Stay informed
  3. Driving licence exchange for UK nationals living in the EU
  4. Driving licences and international driving permits
  5. Number plates and national identifiers
  6. Vehicle registration documents
  7. Vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles in the EU
  8. Road traffic accidents in the EU
  9. Trailer registration
  10. EU drivers visiting or living in the UK after EU Exit
  11. See also
Requirements for all UK drivers when driving abroad from 29 March 2019
From 28 March 2019, drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.
In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.
If you drive for work in the EU, see also:
Stay informed
Some of these requirements may change depending on the terms that the UK leaves the EU. Bookmark and revisit this web page or sign up for email alerts to stay up to date.
Driving licence exchange for UK nationals living in the EU
If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019. From that date, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there.
You should consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence as soon as possible. Increased demand may lead to longer processing times and delays to exchanging driving licences the closer it is to 29 March 2019.
You can drive on your EU licence when visiting the UK until it expires or you turn 70 – whichever comes first.
If you return to live in the UK you can drive on your EU licence for up to 3 years. Then, provided you passed your driving test in the UK or another specified country, you can exchange your EU licence for a UK licence without taking another test.
Prepare for driving licence exchange
Exchange your UK driving licence for an EU or EEA driving licence.
Driving licences and international driving permits
On 28 March 2019, the type of international driving permit (IDP) that some countries outside the EU and EEA recognise will change.
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.
If you hold a UK driving licence you should not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from 29 March 2019 as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries.
Prepare for IDP changes
Check which IDPs you may need.
Number plates and national identifiers
Under international conventions, GB is the distinguishing sign to display on UK-registered vehicles when driving outside of the UK, including in the EUand the EEA.
You can display the distinguishing sign as either a GB sticker or a GB sign on your number plate.
From 29 March 2019, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you may need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign).
You will not need a GB sticker to drive outside the UK if you replace a Euro-plate with a number plate that features the GB sign without the EU flag.
More about displaying number plates, flags, symbols and identifiers.
Vehicle registration documents
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you should continue to carry your vehicle registration documents with you when driving abroad for less than 12 months. This can be either:
More about taking a vehicle out of the UK for less than 12 months.
Vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles in the EU
A motor insurance Green Card is evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad.
The EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland are part of a Green Card-free circulation area. Currently, you do not need a motor insurance Green Card to drive a UK registered vehicle in these countries.
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal and the European Commission does not make a decision ensuring that UK registered vehicles will not be checked for proof of insurance, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA.
Some countries also require separate insurance for trailers. This means that you may also need a separate Green Card for your trailer.
Contact your vehicle insurance provider to obtain a motor insurance Green Card.
More about vehicle insurance.
Road traffic accidents in the EU
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).
Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.
In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.
If involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country before 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings in the UK against either the insurer or the MIB before 29 March 2019. After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice.
Trailer registration
From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg before they can travel to or through most EU and EEA countries.
You can voluntarily register non-commercial trailers that weigh over 750kg but there is no legal requirement to do this.
More about trailer registration.
EU drivers visiting or living in the UK after EU Exit
From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, arrangements for EU licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK will not change.
Visitors with EU driving licences will not need an IDP to drive in the UK.
EU licence holders can drive in the UK on their EU licence:
  • until it expires or until they turn 70 – which ever comes first.
  • for up to 3 years when coming to live in the UK
For EU licence holders who passed their test in the EU or EEA, the UK will continue to exchange their licence.
EU licence holders who passed their test outside the EU or EEA have restrictions on licence exchange. As such, they may need to take a test to obtain a UK licence.
More about exchanging a foreign driving licence.
See also
Published 25 October 2018
Last updated 1 February 2019 + show all updates

Clunegapyears

Tried to buy IDP at local post office last week only to be advised to try again after 1st Feb when new stationery is supposed to be in place. I was told to give it at least a week after as stationery unlikely to arrive on time. Does anyone know if it is now possible to purchase the IDP - we will need both sorts in the next year.

moonshadow

Rally Organiser
Someone on a different group posted on FB to say they had got the first one issued by their post office and it was valid for 3 years. As with all FB feed I doubt I could find it again to post the link - sorry

cronkle

Someone on a different group posted on FB to say they had got the first one issued by their post office and it was valid for 3 years. As with all FB feed I doubt I could find it again to post the link - sorry
I saw that as well. I'm not sure that a link would be permissable or would work without the reader being a member of that group. Anyhow, the poster did show a picture.

paulhelenwilko

EJB 1/2/19 posted in another thread :
Collected our 'just in case' International Driving Permits this morning from our local small town post office.
The first one took the assistant 45 mins to complete correctly and the second one took less than 5 mins.:)

Last edited:

paulhelenwilko

Good to know that it is straight forward. I think we shall wait till closer to departure date because if there is a deal we may not have to fork out the 2 lots of £5.50 (one each).

Paul

HurricaneSmith

I think I might get a couple.

Who knows, an IDP might distract the constabulary should I ever be banned.

:) :) :)

paulhelenwilko

Just noticed this advert in the Sunday Paper.
file-4.jpeg

What is different is that they have not qualified it with 'if there is no deal'.

Paul

paulhelenwilko

Got a squeeky bum so popped down to the post office to get my IDP 1968. The process was straight forward. Just took a photo, passport and driving licence and £5.50 (grrrrr). It took a bit of time because she had not processed one with a pink licence before !

So this is what you get :

idp paul blank.jpgIDP paul 2blank.JPG
The lady at the post office said they did have a rush to start with and nearly ran out of IDPs but they have been restocked now.

Paul.

Minisorella

Looks very much as though the whole thing could be pushed forward a few months now. At least the Post Office will have time to get restocked.

Last edited:

Jann

Although only certain Post Office Office will issue them, I found it very straightforward, not worth not having one

paulhelenwilko

The Government have put out an alert to say they have updated the advice. Please follow the link.

Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit

What all drivers from the UK may need to do to drive in the EU and EEA when the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.

11:29am, 5 March 2019: Clarification on the rules for displaying GB stickers.