European Travel after 29th March 2019 - Driving Permits

TJBi

Wish they'd get their act together:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit
"Following the UK’s exit from the EU, it is recommended that you display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle, irrespective of whether you currently have a number plate which includes the GB identifier."

That page also has a link to:
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers
"If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, then you will not need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union."

As a precaution I have had to cancel my insurance and start a new policy from today. We will be in France when the old policy was due to renew, but whilst I could renew online I could not get a hard copy green card in my possession for the portion of the trip after renewal.

Davy

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Crit Air vignette? and also where is the best place to buy breathalyzer's

Rec

Crit Air vignette was very quick. Completed online, email confirmation received within two days which can be used till paper copy arrives. Others have got this within a week, expecting mine any minute. Breathalyser on amazon or eBay. The French do not enforce the law regarding this so it is just a precaution. Would not depend on one to check if ok to drive personally, feel that if I was not sure , wouldn't drive.

Kontiki

It seems the breathalyser law was never really enforced. Although it still is the law to carry them they have to be the NF Approved breathalyser kit, the twist is there is no fine or other penalty for not carrying them. France Breathalyser Law .
The Crit air sticker is easy to get but make sure you use the official site CRIT AIR & should cost 4.21€ (inc. postage). Often the first site that you get they charge a lot more, last time we got one it came within a week.

I applied for the crit air certificate on 21/2/19 and have not had anything in the post yet. However when you apply and pay you get a email 2 days later :

1551965910092.png

Last edited:
I applied for the crit air certificate on 21/2/19 and have not had anything in the post yet. However when you apply and pay you get a email 2 days later :

View attachment 43350
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Crit Air vignette? and also where is the best place to buy breathalyzer's
I made an application via the official site and the cost was 4.21euros and as advised above received a email response with attached certificate. Which has raised another query the certificate appears to have a "2" yellow classification on it when my vehicle is Euro 5. Additionally they use the Emissions reported on the Registration documents instead of ones from the latest MOT test this seems to be pointless to me, re the VW scandal!
Interested in anyone else's take on this

I came away before I got the hard copy, so if stopped I’ll have to show the receipt on my phone.
Tbh, from what I’ve seen,not many French drivers bother to display them, even if they’ve applied for one.
I admire them for the ability to put two fingers up to the authorities,

I thought they were using the date of first registration, our Transit is 2008 and has been given a 4.

1552291929234.png

Paul

TJBi

I made an application via the official site and the cost was 4.21euros and as advised above received a email response with attached certificate. Which has raised another query the certificate appears to have a "2" yellow classification on it when my vehicle is Euro 5. Additionally they use the Emissions reported on the Registration documents instead of ones from the latest MOT test this seems to be pointless to me, re the VW scandal!
If you look at the Crit'Air scheme, you'll see that the ratings allocate the lowest numbers to the least polluting vehicles, whereas the opposite is true of Euro engine classifications, so perfectly logical that your vehicle is "2". Not sure why you think that the French should use UK MOT criteria.

rayc

Free Member
If you look at the Crit'Air scheme, you'll see that the ratings allocate the lowest numbers to the least polluting vehicles, whereas the opposite is true of Euro engine classifications, so perfectly logical that your vehicle is "2". Not sure why you think that the French should use UK MOT criteria.
It's interesting that the French use the lowest number for the highest Euro rating which is the opposite classification to the Germans where the higher the number the higher the Euro rating.

Mine took about 3/4 weeks from applying the one I had trouble with was the German one which I am led to believe is on route now.

Crit Air arrived today (11th March) in the post. Ordered online on the 21st Feb. Got an emailed copy on the 26th Feb which will cover you in lieu of the actual sticker.

Paul

I'm not sure that they have said that and it's not our Government Departments telling us what the worst case scenario could be. Somewhere I posted information translated from a statement by the French Interior Ministry saying that we would just need to carry a translation of our licence to be legal there. Google Translate was exercised for a few minutes and hey-ho!

Oop, answering a post that has since disappeared!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that they have said that and it's not our Government Departments telling us what the worst case scenario could be. Somewhere I posted information translated from a statement by the French Interior Ministry saying that we would just need to carry a translation of our licence to be legal there. Google Translate was exercised for a few minutes and hey-ho!

Oop, answering a post that has since disappeared!!!!
I would be a bit wary of relying on Google Translate for a valid translation of your driving licence, because:
a) Google Translate cannot be relied upon to produce a correct translation - output can range from accurate to complete gobbledygook (and has been known to state the exact opposite of the source text due, for example, to omission of "not" or similar words.
b) It may be that the translation has to be effected by a recognised translator as in the case of exchange of driving licence:
"Traduction officielle du permis de conduire en français, soit établie en France par un traducteur habilité , soit une traduction établie à l'étranger légalisée ou apostillée".

If you have the UK Credit card license then they are the same as the EU ones with the exception the EU one does not have your address on it ...
and after today it looks like you are all way infront yourselves ..we are not leaving ;););)

If you have the UK Credit card license then they are the same as the EU ones with the exception the EU one does not have your address on it ...
and after today it looks like you are all way infront yourselves ..we are not leaving ;););)
My UK-issued EU photocard driving licence DOES have my address on it - at item 8, which is below the signature.

I would be a bit wary of relying on Google Translate for a valid translation of your driving licence, because:
a) Google Translate cannot be relied upon to produce a correct translation - output can range from accurate to complete gobbledygook (and has been known to state the exact opposite of the source text due, for example, to omission of "not" or similar words.
b) It may be that the translation has to be effected by a recognised translator as in the case of exchange of driving licence:
"Traduction officielle du permis de conduire en français, soit établie en France par un traducteur habilité , soit une traduction établie à l'étranger légalisée ou apostillée".
It's only the tiny writing on the back that needs translating the rest is numbers and pictures:

Driving licence - Permis de conduire
1: Surname - Nom de famille
2: Other names - Autres noms
3: Date and place of birth - Date et lieu de naissance
4a: Licence valid from - Licence valable à partir de
4b: Licence valid to - Licence valable pour
4c: Issuing authority - Autorité de délivrance
5: Licence number - Numéro de licence
9: Category - Catégorie
12 :Information codes - Codes d'information

Forntunately my French is good enough to know it is correct. The codes are self explanatory.

However, I will probably get an IDP for there and other countries. It's cheap as well as being belt and braces.

It's only the tiny writing on the back that needs translating the rest is numbers and pictures:

Driving licence - Permis de conduire
1: Surname - Nom de famille
2: Other names - Autres noms
3: Date and place of birth - Date et lieu de naissance
4a: Licence valid from - Licence valable à partir de
4b: Licence valid to - Licence valable pour
4c: Issuing authority - Autorité de délivrance
5: Licence number - Numéro de licence
9: Category - Catégorie
12 :Information codes - Codes d'information

Forntunately my French is good enough to know it is correct. The codes are self explanatory.

However, I will probably get an IDP for there and other countries. It's cheap as well as being belt and braces.
I would take issue with 4a, 4b and 5. Replace "licence" with "permis" (as in "Permis de conduire" at the top).

It's interesting that the French use the lowest number for the highest Euro rating which is the opposite classification to the Germans where the higher the number the higher the Euro rating.
I just thought that an MOT certificate gives a reading of how the vehicle is performing emissions wise at the last test, which would be more accurate for their purposes