Eurotunnel

Must admit I'm not a Chunnel fan - creaks, rattles, and bangs abound when the train is moving - how could someone say they didn't know when it was moving? My van was shaking like it does when parked in a hurricane. The trains may have been quite smart when they were new but it all looks terribly run down now.

I might use it again because of my dog, it may be better for dogs, but on the other hand I might not. Plus with the new AHC it's so expensive to take the dog I might just stay in blighty for ever.

DFDS also take Tesco vouchers and are a lot cheaper so you don't need so many. Personally I much prefer the ferry as it seems more like the "holiday" has begun and I enjoy wandering around and seeing the sea, leaving the white cliffs and seeing France up ahead.
Ahah, Dover to Calais 21 miles; back of the M20 queue to Dover about 12 miles ... :unsure:

Steve

TBH whenever I have compared the cost is pretty much the same. I like the speed, convenience, ease of driving on and off, arrive half hour before booked time and no manoeuvring. Plus I am seasick, and, when we had Chloe, she could just stay with us for only £19. We book well in advance and use tesco vouchers. And when the French go on strike, they seem to block the port not the tunnel!

DFDS also take Tesco vouchers and are a lot cheaper so you don't need so many.
There's no mention of DFDS on Tesco's list on their website, so I don't think they accept them now.

Has anybody used the “ Euro tunnel”
For their van , I’m getting a bit tired of 10 hour ferry rides or paying a certain channel island operator a fortune with long connections. ?

Is it a squeeze getting it on a train ?
I'm curious, which ferry only takes 10 hours,,,

There's no mention of DFDS on Tesco's list on their website, so I don't think they accept them now.
No, it seems not - but both P&O and Irish Ferries now seem to do a Dover - Calais one that is listed on Tesco Clubcard so all good. :):)

TBH whenever I have compared the cost is pretty much the same. I like the speed, convenience, ease of driving on and off, arrive half hour before booked time and no manoeuvring. Plus I am seasick, and, when we had Chloe, she could just stay with us for only £19. We book well in advance and use tesco vouchers. And when the French go on strike, they seem to block the port not the tunnel!
Compare the prices constantly , never come across that !
Unless you're including Tesco vouchers ?

We usually book the tunnel well in advance and it works out around £200 or so...or 60-65 quid's worth of Tesco vouchers.

We always use the tunnel for ease of use; speed of crossing; and lack of sea sickness. No fear of rough seas nor vehicles moving once chained down. Plus we can sit in comfort in our MH having a coffee and being in a safe covid-free environment during these times.

I can't say it was like a mill pond but it only got a little choppy mid channel.
I found it surprisingly pleasant.
Not many passenger so we got recliner seats and didn't have to queue for anything.
There was a long wait at passport control for covid paperwork and people were being stopped by the duane but Ken and I both went striaght through customs.8

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back