Expectations....

MarkJ

Free Member

We’re relatively new to motorhoming - 4 years or so - and I’m wondering if my expectations weren’t quite right.

We prefer campsites to wild camping, for various reasons, not least for the social side of it.

We also had this idea that we could look at the weather a week ahead, pick an area and set off. But I’m finding that the sites we fancy on the various websites and directories are always booked. We’ve met some people who say they book a year ahead: as soon as they’ve done their week/weekend or whatever they book up for next year “to make sure we get a pitch”.

So it’s not as spontaneous as we’d hoped. We always find somewhere, and that can be a nice surprise, when you find a gem, but it’s just not quite what we expected.

Have things changed? Are there more and more campers looking for pitches?

You might need to mix it up a little do a bit of wild camping why not go to some of our meets you could plan a few trips round them and it’s a good way of getting to meet people pick up some ideas. I was like you at first I wanted to go on sites all the time but with time and experience you’ll figure it out I hardly go near a site now but the first year we had a van we used them quite a lot

I'm afraid you're right, UK camp sites are getting busier. Just as you say, people are booking long ahead, and then cancelling (within set windows) if they don't like the weather.

If you are not keen on CLs or CSs, have you thought about pubs as many accept vans on their forecourts as long as you buy a meal or a few drinks.

Having to book ahead does take a lot of the spontaneity that having a motorhome can provide. Maybe look at alternatives to staying exclusively on sites. For example if you look at the rallies button at the top left of the homepage here there is one at least on most weeks. Additionally many pubs are happy to let you stay on their car parks, which may not appeal at first but can give some very nice locations to stay. A few towns have dedicated space for overnight parking, sometimes even free such as Hawick. The big clubs have rallies and temporary holiday sites listed in their magazines which often do not require pre booking.
Certainly there are more campers about than in the past, but there are many alternatives to having to prebook.

I'd definitely agree with Wully that you should get to some meets if you possibly can. They're a heap more friendly and sociable than a lot of campsites and you'll get to meet some of the same people each time, so gradually make a good circle of camping friends. I'm not sure what clubs you belong to but if it's the big two like me, then I've found over the years that the small CL/CS sites are much easier to book at short notice... which is almost impossible with the big club sites. Pubs can also be a great resource, as the others have said. Mixing it up is definitely the way to go but, whatever you decide, have fun! :)

This is exactly why in the Uk we prefer to Brit stop at pubs or use smaller sites.
I often bang on about the idea of club sites letting motor homes use their late arrival bays for a single night, say between 6pm and 10am, at least then we could be more spontaneous and tour more easily.
And don’t get me started on prices... I’m pretty sure that for anything over 3 nights it’s cheaper for us to go to France even allowing for the cost of a tunnel crossing.
The searchforsites app or website is a really useful resource for stopover sites which may help you be more spontaneous.

I used to use CLs most of the time but took up wild camping when, going birding in winter, I found many sites were closed. At other times of the year I also found the booking in advance did distract from the carefree, go when the spirit moved me idea of owning a motorhome that was a main attraction. I use sites occasionally but mainly wild now. The wild camping sister site is excellent and I use Google maps to check out other likley overnight places. I always try to have a few alternative places in case a first choice is full or unsuitable e.g. out of date Google street view. Before I got a small motorhome I often booked YHAs, B&Bs and the freedom my own mobile accommodation gives me is what keeps me a happy camper!

We are members of the C&MC and in so saying, we steadfastly refuse to go to any of their club sites and generally speaking will never go to anything other than a basic CL.
Every single year when the new book comes out I spend quite some time going through all the details of all the counties and areas of the country that we like going to setting ourselves a maximum cost per night of only £10!

We like to go away on a totally impromptu basis reaching our decision to go when we see the weather is improving, we then select the part of the country that is supposed to be having the best weather and then make contact with our carefully limited few sites that have the best reviews.

To date, we have never yet come up short in finding a CL which doesn't tick all of our boxes and normally most of them are nigh on empty which is perfect for us.

I have never been in a camp site & most here are for wobbly boxes/tents which seem to atract drunks dogs kids screeming, id rather hear a banshee scretch.:eek:

If you join the Camping and Caravanning Club, you will have access to DA (District Association) meets which are run all over the UK and most do not require booking - you just turn up and pay your £10 - 12 per unit (not person) per night and they are a lot of fun. They normally run between March and October and you can go to any meet in any area that you want. EHU is not normally available so if this is a requirement, this would not be for you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back