FAO Landlords

St3v3

If you ever have the estate agent arrange works for you be careful. I've just had another agent ask me to sign their terms and conditions to do work which includes:

The Contractor agrees to pay the Agent an administration fee equivalent to 10% of the cost of the works instructed which will be deducted from each of the invoices received by (the estate agent, name removed)

I politely declined. The worst part for me is the deceit, as far as the landlord is concerned the agent isn't charging anything. Reason being they are already paying a management fee.

You will find that a lot of letting estate agents charge this, or will ask there list of contractors to inflate there quote by 10% in order for them to give the agent a kickback. Because of this and other discrepancies we now do it all in house.

We also found some agents were less fussier than us out of desperation, when it came to finding tenants, I would rather a property be empty than have a bad tenant placed in one.

One agent was even offering a rent guarantee, but that was only for certain qualifying tenants if they met the criteria and they tried to put one in one of our property's who had CCJs against them, so wouldn't have qualified for the rent guarantee anyhow, but it didn't stop them trying it on. To many sharks running letting agency's unfortunately.

Nightmare.

The worst for me was that the landlord is paying a management fee that they believe involves calling a contractor to fix it. In reality, the invoice they see will be inflated to cover the 10pc.

Wrong!

In Scotland we have what’s called factors the skum of the earth l I refuse to work for them I can now be Picky who I work for but learned pretty much early on that all estate agents are One step from hell below them are solicitors then you have roofers who are the guys stoking the fire.

In Scotland we have what’s called factors the skum of the earth l I refuse to work for them I can now be Picky who I work for but learned pretty much early on that all estate agents are One step from hell below them are solicitors then you have roofers who are the guys stoking the fire.

Concur. I found some of the so-called "high professions" were nearly always the worst payers when it came to bill time.

And I guess your line of work makes you the "highest" profession of all, @Wully ? ;) 😁

giphy.gif

Last edited:
“Some rob you with a six gun and some with a fountain pen.”

The ballad of Pretty Boy Floyd. Never s truer word.

Cheers

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back