Favourite TV Chefs/Shows

wildebus

Just watching a program about 1970s Dinner Parties and they showed a bit from what was for sure my all-time favourite TV Chef.
Made me think who would be my top 3 all-time?

#1: The Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr. I really don't know why as I should be too young to even remember him, let alone want to watch a cookery program from the 1960's, but I really loved his show.

#2: Ainsley Harriot, Can't Cook Won't Cook & Ready Steady Cook. I only watched those shows when Ainsley was on it. He made the shows for sure for me.

#3: Third one is a hard choice. Be much easier to stick with my top two, but tradition demands you nominate a top 3 in a post like this, so stuck with choosing a third one :( . I think I will go for the BBC "Food and Drink" program. Good variety and some daftness there (Jilly Goolden and her wines with hints of cat pee and aircraft runways!)

What is your top 3?

Last edited:
None for us I'm afraid as we don't watch any TV cooking programmes.

And as Jonny Craddock said, “I hope your donuts turn out like Fannys”

Davy
From Nationwide, via Frank Bough, in response to frantic signals from the Floor Manager to wrap the programme, with the theme music starting and Fanny Craddock *still* talking ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

I have to say Prue Leiths Cotswold kitchen is a modern day fanny and Johnny its a good watchable program so would be my number one Jamie Oliver no2 and James Martin would be my no3 well he is from Yorkshire 😂

My mother was very taken with the galloping gourmet, so I remember him well from my early years.
I can't think of a single one that I would call my favourite now but I like Angela Hartnett's down to earth approach and enjoyed BBC's Best Home Cook.
Mary Berry reminds me of my late mother and Delia is a good go-to for good basic recipes.

I have to say Prue Leiths Cotswold kitchen is a modern day fanny and Johnny its a good watchable program so would be my number one Jamie Oliver no2 and James Martin would be my no3 well he is from Yorkshire 😂
I've not seen that. Only seen her on the British Bakeoff program, and I do like her. I like how she always manages to find some positive comment to make even when the food was a total disaster (unlike Hollywood, of course (but he is usually ok unless he doesn't like the person!)).

I've not seen that. Only seen her on the British Bakeoff program, and I do like her. I like how she always manages to find some positive comment to make even when the food was a total disaster (unlike Hollywood, of course (but he is usually ok unless he doesn't like the person!)).
It’s a new program on a Saturday morning filmed in her stunning house in the Cotswold with her husband John.

1. The Hairy Bikers - they will be very sadly missed

2. James Martin - I always record his Saturday live show to watch later on

3. Jamie Oliver

I think for entertainment value the hairy bikers can't be beat. And as far as taste and practicality Ol Fat tongue Oliver rules.
The rest I can take or leave. Come to think of it Nigel Slater I'll definitely leave, can't abide the way the pretentious prat always finds a piece of 'left over' artisan cheese or ham wrapped in brown paper at the back of his fridge. Prick☹️

Last edited:
I think for entertainment value the hairy bikers can't be beat. And as far as taste and practicality Ol Fat tongue Oliver rules.
The rest I can take or leave. Come to think of it Nigel Slater I'll definitely leave, can't abide the way the pretentious prat always finds a piece of 'left over' artisan cheese or ham wrapped in brown paper at the back of his fridge. Prick☹️
I think they all (well, most) have their own plus and minus points.
Delia was good for real novice cooks.
Nigella I could rarely watch due to the awful filming and constant closeups of hands
Jamie Oliver has a lot of good variety and generally worth a watch
Ramsey with his Kitchen Nightmares could be entertaining, but not really as a cooking program
Nadia (bakeoff winner) was popular but I found her as entertaining and exciting a cook as Leona Lewis (X factor winner) was as a Singer :rolleyes:
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall I think is good and goes some interesting stuff. I think if you don't like Nigel Slater (I don't either for similar reasons), Hugh could be balancing on that fine line, but I think he navigates it well.
Hairy Bikers .... I could never quite get into them in the same way most seem to have. Too hairy maybe?
Gino de'Campo? Throw me a sick bag.
And I do watch GB Bakeoff and Masterchef - but only the 'normal' one. Don't watch any of the spinoff ones such as "MC - The Professionals".

(I do like the odd cooking program ;) )

I much prefer eating :)

I like to view Antonio Carluccio, I just love his passion when he preparing tasty looking dishes.

Keith Floyd here too.

Nigella(y)
I think she cooks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back