Ferry to Spain

Mobilvetta

Given the on going problems in France and the advise I have received so far regarding France being very cold and water been switched of in Aires in January, we have decided that it will be best to catch the ferry to Spain and then travel back through France in March.

So I have a few questions.
Is it only Brittany ferries who service this route direct to Spain now,
Is it worth paying the £60 difference to travel on cruise as opposed to economie.

My motorhome specs say it is 7.4 metre long, so will have to pay for the 8 metre category, the height according to the specs is 2.9metre, but when I measured it with the status Ariel it measured 3.2 metres, so I don't think I would get away with the 3 metre height category unless there's a fair bit of leeway, so will have to go for 4 metre height, the prices are coming up at £400 one way for the cruise or £340.
These prices are available using Brittany ferries site.

I am a member of the motorhome and caravan club, am I likely to get a better price going through them or does anyone know any good comparison sites that would be more competitive or have any discount codes that work please.

Do you get any meals included on the cruise ferry, like you would on a proper cruise ship.

Has anyone got any tips they are willing to share for us newbys who have never done this trip before.

I personally dont think the food on the cruise ship is a s good as the economie ship plus you are on the boat for longer on the cruise ship. I was really dissapointed with the cruise ship and its facilities. The food was definitely more expensive.

I personally dont think the food on the cruise ship is a s good as the economie ship plus you are on the boat for longer on the cruise ship. I was really dissapointed with the cruise ship and its facilities. The food was definitely more expensive.
Thanks I never realised that, do you get an ensuite cabin on the economie ship in the standard price or do you have to pay extra.

Incidentally, I wouldn't worry about getting water while traveling down through France. It only takes a coupe of days and water is available at service areas

Thanks for the reply, I think what really made my mind up is it seems the French are going to have a winter of discontent, judging by the protests, so thought it's probably wise to bypass it until it settles down. Wouldn't want to get caught up in it and also it was mentioned they are restricting how much fuel you can buy and given that the Fiat has a smaller tank than my car, don't fancy been rationed.

You have to pay for a cabin there is no alternative however you get to choose what sort of cabin, they are all ensuite but you can have an outside one or an upmarket suite if you wish but they all cost different prices.

You have to pay for a cabin there is no alternative however you get to choose what sort of cabin, they are all ensuite but you can have an outside one or an upmarket suite if you wish but they all cost different prices.

It's a shame they don't allow you to sleep in the motorhome as I know how comfy my bed is then.

Regarding times aboard. When I last checked, the economy boats were slower and longer sailing duration, except for the cruise ship which calls into France for a crew change during its journey
You may actually be right, I've only sailed at weekends and the economie sailing is overnight where as the cruise is two nights, so it may just be perception.

We did the 2 nighter just over a week ago and have done for several years. It suits us as you get into Bilbao early (no driving in the dark) and can get well down in one day. The usual sailings are 24 hours, roughly. I haven't been on the Economie, but I reckon the Cap Finistere or the Pont Aven are superb boats with excellent restaurants for an evening meal - the buffet on the Pont is simply amazing.

Best to be honest with your dimensions as they will measure your unit if there is any doubt. Give the length as per handbook and tick for a bike carrier if you have one. If you have a dog they have to go in a kennel unless you can get a pet friendly cabin, but these sell out very quickly as soon as the timetables go live.

The downside is that the Bay of Biscay can be rough, although we've never experienced it so far, and sailings can be cancelled.

We did the 2 nighter just over a week ago and have done for several years. It suits us as you get into Bilbao early (no driving in the dark) and can get well down in one day. The usual sailings are 24 hours, roughly. I haven't been on the Economie, but I reckon the Cap Finistere or the Pont Aven are superb boats with excellent restaurants for an evening meal - the buffet on the Pont is simply amazing.

Best to be honest with your dimensions as they will measure your unit if there is any doubt. Give the length as per handbook and tick for a bike carrier if you have one. If you have a dog they have to go in a kennel unless you can get a pet friendly cabin, but these sell out very quickly as soon as the timetables go live.

The downside is that the Bay of Biscay can be rough, although we've never experienced it so far, and sailings can be cancelled.

Thanks for the info, I have actually booked the economic service as my mate has been on it several times and said it was ok, he did say the crossing is the roughest he has ever experienced. My motorhome is 7.4 meters by 3 metres according to the spec sheet but having measured the height to the top of the Ariel it was nearer 3.2 meters, so have paid for upto 8 metres by 4 metres height. Total cost with an outside cabin was £403.00 one way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back