Fiat ducato 2.3 180 bhp 2017. Cambelt change

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

I've just spoken to fiat commercial section .
I always understood that cambelts should be changed at 5 years regardless of mileage.

But they say fiat commercial engines is 8 years or 120.000 which ever comes first ..
At cost of £850 Inc.

Interesting, I had my belt (and water pump) changed in 2022 which was probably 7 years from build irrespective of model year. The mileage was in the region of 36,000. I worked on the old theory of 5 (ish) years or 60,000 miles. I was fairly confident that my owners manual was similar.

I googled the link below and whilst timing belt is not shown as to when to change in the main column, there is an asterisk which leads to a smallish print advice to change every 5 years, especially if sitting idle for long periods, town use, cold weather etc. The max mileage is quoted as 190,000 km and there is also a mention of a 4 year change.

I reckon the old 5 year or 60,000 is probably the best option, certainly for peace of mind, along with good tyres, and regular oil changes.

Davy

I've just spoken to fiat commercial section .
I always understood that cambelts should be changed at 5 years regardless of mileage.

But they say fiat commercial engines is 8 years or 120.000 which ever comes first ..
At cost of £850 Inc.
We have the 130bhp Ducato and the Owner's Manual says 4 years change interval! I remember a Forum post last year [Autumn 2021?] where the Dealer Price was £930, so I wonder whether the £850 includes the water pump [VW Tiguan price was £50 cheaper if the water pump was not changed, although this, IMO, is a false economy, and I am a cynical old git re price reductions]

Steve

Yes Inc of water pump.
They did say the 2.3 180 bhp is a commercial eng .
None commercial is 5 years..

I only rang them as we purchased van September 2022 .
I spoke to our supplying motor home dealer this week because could not see they had changed it on delivery to us .
They said it didn't need doing yet so checked with fiat..
They confirmed 8 years

We all make the decisions we each think best for our individual needs. I took my previous Auto-Trail for the usual set of cambelt, water pump, belts change, etc after 7 years.

They smiled when I picked it up, and said "You've been lucky, have a feel of your water pump bearing". It was incredibly stiff and the belt would have soon failed.

My current van is starting it's 5th year, and the cambelt set is already on my radar.

We all make the decisions we each think best for our individual needs. I took my previous Auto-Trail for the usual set of cambelt, water pump, belts change, etc after 7 years.

They smiled when I picked it up, and said "You've been lucky, have a feel of your water pump bearing". It was incredibly stiff and the belt would have soon failed.

My current van is starting it's 5th year, and the cambelt set is already on my radar.
We have full warranty till September,so after thinking I will get it changed August .
Don't want to pay for new engine.

Think mine is 2.3 130 but Fiat dealer told me recently that strictly mine is 5 years, Peugeot, I think, they said is identical engine but they specify 10 years!!!! He said he didn’t think it was essential but of course he had to point it out. 🤔

Think mine is 2.3 130 but Fiat dealer told me recently that strictly mine is 5 years, Peugeot, I think, they said is identical engine but they specify 10 years!!!! He said he didn’t think it was essential but of course he had to point it out. 🤔
We had 2.3 130 bhp .Peugeot 2015 .
That had the ford engine which was a chain.10 years

1680162008709.jpeg

I have the 2.2 more than enough power for a leisure vehicle and has a cam chain.

1680162062217.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back