Fiat Ducato Peugeot Boxer Citroen Relay Spare Wheel Winch 2009

UFO

The spare wheel was removed today and now the winch (photo winch 1) will not wind up or down. I took the winch box off and removed the nut in the centre (photo winch 2) as it looks like the two halves of the winch casing come apart - but they will not budge. Next step would be to take the whole assembly off the van and get the winch box in a vice and give it some heafty hits.

Before I do this has anyone experience of this? The van is nearly 10 years old and the spare wheel has only been removed once in this time.

Winch 2.JPGWinch 1.JPG

Searching the internet I see that there was a safety-recall in 2011 relating to the spare-wheel-carrier factory-fitted to Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Relay and Fiat Ducato vehicles. The tool needed to operate the replacement winch has a 5-sided end rather than the original 6-sided one.

I have a six sided tool. Does this mean I have the original winch?

It’s sounds like it mine is the five sided end and I had trouble with mine had to take it to bits and re grease the worm drive .

Yep yours will be the old one.
If of any use I have a brand new one of the updated type, it's in France (where I live) but can get it to you, unless you find yourself in North West France, yours for £20 plus postage.
They are different for 15" and 16" wheels I do happen to have one of each so let me know which one you want should you actually want it.

Yep yours will be the old one.
If of any use I have a brand new one of the updated type, it's in France (where I live) but can get it to you, unless you find yourself in North West France, yours for £20 plus postage.
They are different for 15" and 16" wheels I do happen to have one of each so let me know which one you want should you actually want it.
This sound good. I attach some photos as it seems there are a couple of different types, mine is accessed through a hole when the rear doors of the van are open. Does yours use the five sided bar? If so do you also have this? If you can confirm that the one you have is the same as in the photos and that you have the complete kit I will have a think about how I can get it off you. My wheels are 15".
Spare wheel winch 1.JPGSpare wheel winch 1.JPG
Spare wheel winch 2.JPG

Mine is the same as this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Duc...205094?hash=item1c87c95d66:g:w78AAOSwXeJYMDbl
As you can see the modified version is totally different to yours, and for the X250
The activation is from the side of the van.
Mine is complete and does include the 5 sided adapter, which utilises the ratchet spanner that is supplied to operate the jack.
Should have mentioned that the one in advert is actually the latest version which has been modified for either 15" or 16" wheels, whereas the ones I have will only fit the size of wheel chosen for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. The activation from the side of the van, via the wheel arch, variant is for motorhomes as it would not be possible to access via the rear of the van. My Adria Twin being a panel van conversion uses the standard Fiat Ducato van assembly - I think! I don't know whether it would be possible to fit the access-via-the-wheelarch variant to my 2009 van.

Please bear with me on this, I am trying to understand what I have and what I need! I took the winch box apart today and it's completely mangled inside, so I need a new kit. The one in the ebay link you provided https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Duc...205094?hash=item1c87c95d66:g:w78AAOSwXeJYMDbl is described as '... Motorhome 2015 ...' and is the via the wheel arch type. I am guessing the via the wheel arch type is the updated version.

Looking at my van there is a 10mm hole through the chassis into the wheel arch, on both near and off sides - see photo. Is this where the tool to operate the winch goes through? Looking at the ebay photos and the van I can't see how the winch attaches to the chassis - do new holes have to be drilled?

thanks
Spare wheel winch 3.JPG

OK the penny has now finally fully dropped and I can see what needs to be done - thank you for your patience. I will buy the 15" wheel version from you. Two options -
A) we land in Dieppe on 1 May for a 2 month tour of France, Spain and Portugal. We could make a detour to you, in Mayenne. This would work if your kit has the rivnuts / bolts (rivnut tool needed) to fit the new winch/winding assembly on the existing holes in the chassis cross member. The wheel carrier itself should fit using the exisitng four bolts.
B) if the above is not possible send the assembly to me so that it arrives in a week or so to give me time to fit it.

I can't send you a private message so my email is gittingsd@gmail.com for payment (PayPal?) and address exchange.

thanks David

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back