Fire Safety Stick

The firesticks meet no current British Standard. They have no kitemark. Fires are put out by.... removing the fuel or cooling the fire below ignition temperature or smothering. The firestick smothers a fire by excluding oxygen. It is dubious to say they would be safe to operate in a confined space as humans need air. Also I would suggest there is no cooling effect so unless the fuel and ignition source are separated once the most has wafted away a class A fire would likey re-ignite. Once used you have no reserve to further fight the fire. A water mist or dry powder extinguisher has more control and does not need to be full expended in one attack. By far and away the best and least messy addition everyone should have is a fire blanket.... cheap and extremely effective.
I do thank the poster of this article because of the useful focus it has given to fire safety. I am a retired fire safety officer. If I were to use a firestick I would set it off in the moho stainless sink...leave smartly and close the door ... then call the fire brigade if in any doubt. When re-openning the door you would allow an in-rush of air....so be prepared by having a couple of buckets of water or borrowed extinguisher to hand.

Hmm, I looked at the video on YouTube, and comments ARE TURNED OFF I would expect them to be good comments if it was any good, might be snake oil.

Reactions: GMJ
Seen a few videos and reports on these and I remain unimpressed so far. We have a heat alarm, but don't carry a extinguisher, if we catch fire i don't feel I would want to try putting it out.

Fisherman used to be a fireman, his input would would be interesting. Not sure he uses this site though, may be worth posting on the WC site.

Seen a few videos and reports on these and I remain unimpressed so far. We have a heat alarm, but don't carry a extinguisher, if we catch fire i don't feel I would want to try putting it out.

The only problem with that mate is of the fire is between you and the exit doors. I carry an extinguisher in the back and another in the front in case of that scenario (and a fire blanket in the middle)...but generally am with you regarding not putting it out and exiting to safety first.

Regarding the lithium explosion above:
eek.gif

No not a LiFePO4 but I am sure there are people with these type of battery packs in their vans, I won't name this one but it is a well known make, as I said you will see the metal body held the explosion in directing it out of both ends, it took a hell of a time to extinguish and almost burnt through the large fire blanket it was so fierce. It was just one of those feelings, I had been watching my iPad and had it plugged in, I then heard some fizzing and popping sounds inside that just didn't sound right, I put it on the patio area, I even had a few seconds as fizzing continued to get my hose off the real but that was melted in the explosion! Then boom! Had I been in front of it or even behind I would have had my legs and face melted, I had no idea how an explosion would occur, so a lesson is if you have one like this and it explodes the jet of pure powerful flame WILL come out of the meekest points e.g. the ends. THAT is why you need a fore blanket and something to suck out the oxygen not that in this case it would have made the slightest difference, it doesn't take much imagination to think what would have happened if that was in your van and between you and your exit, always have an escape route planned and beware where you put this kind of stuff.
Very scary. Certainly something we should all be aware of.

I think there are people (mostly in the USA) who 'repurpose' Electric Car power packs (typically crashed Nissan Leafs but also Teslas) into their RVs/Campers and as I understand it it is those batteries that if they catch fire do as it shown and basically cannot be extinquished and burn themselves out.
LiFePO4 are a very different kettle of fish.

..... When re-opening the door you would allow an in-rush of air....so be prepared by having a couple of buckets of water or borrowed extinguisher to hand.
This is a very important point. I had a kitchen pan fire and dealt with it in the recommended way.... until I made the mistake of after it was [apparently] out, slightly lifted the cloth to check it was out, thus letting in air and reigniting the fire.
Got out of the hospital after a few days (on my birthday- nice present!) with some of my leg grafted on my hand.

• Sad
Reactions: Rec
As mentioned before it has no British kitemark.
Also as a race/fire Marshall,
A: you have to get too close to the fire, and
B: you mention it last for 57 seconds, trust me if you can't put it out in under 10 seconds you aren't going to put it out.
Don't get me wrong it probably has its uses, but I wouldn't rely on it alone. By all means have one in your door pocket.
I know people go on about the mess of powder, but it's not as much of a mess as a burnt out shell of your pride and joy.

Just wanted to say thank you for all your comments and opinions. I was considering a fire stick but taking into account some of the comments I think I will either have both or just stick to an extinguisher. This is what this forum does best - exchanging knowledge and opinions.

Reactions: GMJ
Hi Scotty
Not quite sure if you're having a go at me or agreeing.
I've put wet grass on a engine fire in the past to put it out, you use what you've got and are happy to use.
I'm not slagging this stick off, just pointing out it's not kite marked, and there's a reason why.

If I were pondering an extinguisher product would I be asking on the net or would I phone my fire station and talk to a properly trained professional fire officer?

B2

I think on balance I might get one of these to keep in the side pocket of the drivers door in my MH. I already have 2 fire extinguishers and a fire blanket but the ease of use of this fire stick might be of use if one can spot a fire early enough.

My pair arrived today. Fitted one next to the conventional Fire Extinquisher and both accessible by the Hab door.
1626176023079.png

Finally got round to mounting the Fire Blanket in an accessible place last week as well!
1626176109240.png

Might keep the other safety stick in the house?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back