Firestick to USB TV?

Vanterrier

First of all, I am not a networks/hardware/electronics/much-else-wiring expert so apologies in advance for any daft questions in the following...
I have an Avtex TV with a USB socket but no HDMI socket.
I have a firestick with an HDMI plug.
I have a BT mini hub (supplied by BT as a backup for my home Hub6 router).
I have an HDMI video capture adaptor with a USB output (male) and HDMI input (female).
Phew! So my question is, can I plug the firestick into the video capture adaptor and plug it into the TV to get more channels.
I already tested the mini hub and can connect by wifi to our phones so I guess I should be able to connect to the firestick(?)
Or have I misunderstood what the video capture adaptor does and will this just not work?
Please be gentle with your reply ;)
Thanks in advance
K 😉

A bit under the weather today so not thinking asi should but I am fairly certain it’s a no. The Firestick needs to go into an hdmi slot for playback and needs power to it from usb. Most modern tv will have a powered usb socket and hdmi but that doesn’t help you.
Do you have a laptop with an hdmi port as you may be able to get it working that way but that’s where I aren’t thinking straight

Edit: you can always plug it together and see what happens, I am happy to be wrong 😁👍

Thanks. My old laptop has various sockets but no HDMI so unless there's a suitable HDMI to whatever-these-sockets-are I guess that options out.
I think I will just plug it all in and see what happens, I just didn't want to hear that tell-tale " buzz-pop!" Sound and think I should have asked...
New TV's for vans are just too expensive for the use we would give it so I was hoping to cobble some existing junk together to get something for nowt... oh well.
Thanks again.
I'll let you know how my test goes, assuming I dont electrocute myself in the process.
K ;)

Thanks. My old laptop has various sockets but no HDMI so unless there's a suitable HDMI to whatever-these-sockets-are I guess that options out.
I think I will just plug it all in and see what happens, I just didn't want to hear that tell-tale " buzz-pop!" Sound and think I should have asked...
New TV's for vans are just too expensive for the use we would give it so I was hoping to cobble some existing junk together to get something for nowt... oh well.
Thanks again.
I'll let you know how my test goes, assuming I dont electrocute myself in the process.
K ;)
You won’t electrocute yourself and so long as the Firestick hdmi goes into an hdmi input on the video capture adaptor nothing will go pop lol.
I can’t remember what make the little box I once bought was but I thought it would connect everything with just the one output to a tv. Mine didn’t work which is why I am doubtful but I have only ever tried with one device. You can usually find a way eventually. Wonder if Dave knows, he is Amazon gadget man :)

I also have a firestick (actually a NowTV one) and and Avtex TV with no HDMI. I bought a similar one of these off Ebay for a few quid. I plug the stick into it and use the 3 coloured plugs into the tv and it works.

NB This isn't the exact one I bought as mine was around a tenner but Ebay has loads of options but you'd need a trawl.

The USB didn't work for me as I tried that avenue first.

I use an EE 4G router which is for the home but is portable so we can use it anywhere in the UK and it works fine with my set up above.

Sorry I missed the bit about internet for the Firestick, that will definitely work from either a wireless router, dongle or phone hotspot. It’s just the hdmi to usb I meant in my other post 👍

Ah, nice one, in my quest to use the USB I overlooked the AV plugs which I do have on my avtex.
Thats a great tip and I think I will have a trawl on ebay for one.
Cheers
K ;)

No probs. It looks a bit clunky and spaghetti-ish but It works a treat (y)

The device that GMJ has mentioned looks just the job.
As a side comment, you may be able to power the setup off the USB socket on the Avtex TV. It depends on the current rating of the socket - some seem to be able to, some don't, but I have my Firesticks powered up by one Samsung TV and the Avtex in the Motorhome, but with another Samsung TV I get a power warning on the screen.

I told you I was dumb... is this not the wrong way around for me? Surely I want from HDMI to AVS ? See diagram on listing..
Screenshot_20220505-180708_eBay.jpg

Looks the ticket :)

(I said that last time, but your one above is going in the right direction :) )

That looks likely but check it comes with the 3 leads or else you'll need to buy them separately

In that diagram why does it show as connecting to a monitor or tv WITH hdmi? Should it not be without?

Its the second item I have now bought so its HDMI to AV ;)
I'll report back how it goes but thanks all for the pointers and advice.
K ;)

That looks likely but check it comes with the 3 leads or else you'll need to buy them separately
Good spot ;)
No it doesn't so I have now bought those too...
If it works it will be a damned site cheaper than a new TV.
K ;)

My Avtex TV which I use in the shed doesn't have HDMI but it does have component connectors (YPbPr)
so I bought one of these to use a firestick, it cost £16 but it works excellently, the picture using component input is better quality than RCA AV

71a2oayXtUL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back