Fitting a B.M.S. to Elddis 185

Wes

Hi..Anyone had experience of fitting a BMS. In this model, leisure battery at the other end of van from engine battery.
Any help on how to run cable etc would be most helpful.
Thanks Wes

Hi..Anyone had experience of fitting a BMS. In this model, leisure battery at the other end of van from engine battery.
Any help on how to run cable etc would be most helpful.
Thanks Wes
do you mean a BMS or a B2B (split charge charging system)?

BMS usually stands for Battery Management System - generally relates to something fitted to a Lithium Battery and manages the battery, ensuring when the battery will charge, manages over-current, this kind of thing. Not an actual charger device

B2B stands for Battery to Battery and is a mechanism to charge a Leisure Battery from the alternator in a managed way using a multi-stage smart DC-DC charger.
Most advanced form of a split-charger.
The more basic split-charger system would be a relay, that just closes when engine runs or voltage hits a certain level (depending on relay type).
Relay is a lot cheaper than B2B. B2B is better than Relay.
If this is for the motorhome in your Avatar you must have something fitted at the moment and if you want to improve it you almost certainly need to disable what is in place.

Find it bizarre that a 2019 c class, going off your avatar doesn’t charge the leisure batteries from the alternator when on the move. Personnelly I would have it checked out to ensure there isn’t something amiss before fitting anything else to charge them.

Thank you for your explanation of the various systems.. My motorhome at present only the engine battery charged by alternator....leisure battery from mains charger, and solar panel.
That is unusual for a factory-built motorhome. I have come across that before with conversion companies where they just didn't fit a split-charge system of any type on a campervan, but not a motorhome.

How have you come to the conclusion that your .leisure battery is not being charged , as wildebus says it should at least have a VSR . Could be possible that BTB has been removed by the owner and the VSR not reconnected .another possibility but unlikely is your van has a smart alternator..

Last edited:
I would get the charging system checked by an Elddis dealer if I were you. As I understand it the Autoquest range, unlike other Elddis models, should charge both batteries from hook-up and the split charging system. Standard for other modern Elddis vehicles is charging to both batteries with engine on and just the leisure battery on hook-up. I had a Battery Master fitted to my Elddis Accordo so that both batteries would be charged parked up on the drive.

If you had a BMS fitted, you could monitor the charging by; Running the engine and watching the charge on the BMS, then stopping engine and connecting to EHU, check charge again then do the same when charging from solar.
You’ll have to cover the solar panels when checking the charge on engine and EHU.
Ensure your battery is discharged a bit before you start.
I hope this helps.

OP not returned since March, I don't get why this keeps happening.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back