Fitting reversing cameera.

Independant73

I purchased a Halfords top of range reversing camera, made an appointment for the fitting 3 weeks ago. When I went to get it fitted I was told this appointment was only to assess if it could be fitted. Following week I went for the 'Fitting' , told by the young man that he didn't know how to fit it, and would need a colleague to help. I've watched How to fit a camera on google. It doesn't seem so difficult, if you can get under the van and hold up your arms to do the job. Something I can't do. Then the day before my appointment, this was cancelled. They were short of staff, would rearrange the fitting. Iven not heard from them, so can anyone tell me who I can get to fit this camera, in the next month, before my tax runs out. I don't want to use the van in the winter. Can anyone give me advise please. Live in
Rugby

I might be inclined to return the camera for a refund as they have not lived up to part of the deal.

I have looked at their cameras and basically, they are not any better than the £40 ones off eBay, I've fitted a few cheapo ones with no problems, but never needed to get under the van, it's all done inside with the cables running through top lockers, you can also get wireless ones, but I have no knowledge of them.

I'm too far away but maybe a local member could help.

Depending on your van, it’s a good idea to fit a dual camera with 2 different focal lengths for rear view and reversing. My screen is fitted in place of a rear view mirror (no back window) with a constant live feed. In the past I’ve routed through the lockers, but going under the van was much simpler. While you’re under there, fit a couple of sets of parking sensors (£20 a set on eBay) front and rear.

edit: wireless systems will run out of battery on a rainy night…

The easy, albeit expensive, way to do it is to purchase the Garmin Driveluxe satnav and the Garmin BC40 wireless reversing camera.
The satnav is brilliant as is the camera. The cam connects faultlessly on my 7 meter van and is supplied with the rear mounting. The camera clips on the back and can easily be removed to be placed in a remote position for precise manoeuvres. It can be turned on and off by voice command. Had mine for a couple of years and still highly chuffed with it.

Reactions: GMJ
The easy, albeit expensive, way to do it is to purchase the Garmin Driveluxe satnav and the Garmin BC40 wireless reversing camera.
The satnav is brilliant as is the camera. The cam connects faultlessly on my 7 meter van and is supplied with the rear mounting. The camera clips on the back and can easily be removed to be placed in a remote position for precise manoeuvres. It can be turned on and off by voice command. Had mine for a couple of years and still highly chuffed with it.
Sounds like a great piece of equipment . Wireless rev cameras don't , in general , get good reviews.
How much was it ?

Sounds like a great piece of equipment . Wireless rev cameras don't , in general , get good reviews.
How much was it ?
Satnav £190, camera (BC 30) £146. Garmin also do a ‘camper’ satnav if that’s your thping but so far the Drivesmart has found all the campsites in the UK that I’ve asked it to. E.G. ‘campsite Cheddar’ brings up C&CC campsite at Priddy.

Satnav £190, camera (BC 30) £146. Garmin also do a ‘camper’ satnav if that’s your thping but so far the Drivesmart has found all the campsites in the UK that I’ve asked it to. E.G. ‘campsite Cheddar’ brings up C&CC campsite at Priddy.
For what you are getting not a bad price

I have a Garmin SatNav with a couple of BC30 wireless cameras connected to it.

as a Reversing Camera I find it excellent and better than the Reversing Camera that is fitted as standard to the Autotrail, but I don't really rate it as a rear-view (mirror replacement) camera. It seems to have a limited data rate or whatever the term for camera system might be. While the reversing camera displays in real-time, the rear view has a slow refresh. I think it is because there is a lot more changing in that mode compared to a reversing mode. It also shows the rear quite far away compared to reality (as the signs on door mirrors sometimes say ... "objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear").

I purchased a Halfords top of range reversing camera, made an appointment for the fitting 3 weeks ago. When I went to get it fitted I was told this appointment was only to assess if it could be fitted. Following week I went for the 'Fitting' , told by the young man that he didn't know how to fit it, and would need a colleague to help. I've watched How to fit a camera on google. It doesn't seem so difficult, if you can get under the van and hold up your arms to do the job. Something I can't do. Then the day before my appointment, this was cancelled. They were short of staff, would rearrange the fitting. Iven not heard from them, so can anyone tell me who I can get to fit this camera, in the next month, before my tax runs out. I don't want to use the van in the winter. Can anyone give me advise please. Live in
Rugby
Sorry can't help out live too far away, return it get your money back. Just fitted a wireless one of e Bay £50 works great No crawling about under the van or routing wires inside. Regards

I don't know if they exist anymore, but car radio shops would do reversing camera kits - supply and fit - and almost certainly a much neater job then the typical Halfords (Halfords is a good shop but not for installation work).
Wireless setups get a bad press but they are fine. maybe not HD resolution, but as long as you can make out what is behind you, that is good enough! don't need to pick out the dead flies on the car bonnet behind you, just the big old bonnet itself :)

I don't know if they exist anymore, but car radio shops would do reversing camera kits - supply and fit - and almost certainly a much neater job then the typical Halfords (Halfords is a good shop but not for installation work).
Wireless setups get a bad press but they are fine. maybe not HD resolution, but as long as you can make out what is behind you, that is good enough! don't need to pick out the dead flies on the car bonnet behind you, just the big old bonnet itself :)
Spot on. Regards.

far harder to install though, Trev, if on a already-converted camper or a motorhome.
True but where theres a will there is a way, never beaten yet and I'm sure you are the same, remember R the Bruse and the we spider.

True but where theres a will there is a way, never beaten yet and I'm sure you are the same, remember R the Bruse and the we spider.
Yes , but .....

If a new conversion, 100% go wired. Best quality for sure.
If retro-fit, wireless while not as good is honestly good enough to do the job with the minimal of disruption.

There is a phrase that one of my bosses used to remind me of when I constantly tried to improve on something that did the required job already and could have really been getting on with other stuff... "The best is the enemy of the good".
In other words, recognise when something is already good enough and stop trying to improve when there is no need. (This is generally a business decision where money is the driver, but can apply to anything - especially when doing van conversions! :D )

Yes , but .....

If a new conversion, 100% go wired. Best quality for sure.
If retro-fit, wireless while not as good is honestly good enough to do the job with the minimal of disruption.

There is a phrase that one of my bosses used to remind me of when I constantly tried to improve on something that did the required job already and could have really been getting on with other stuff... "The best is the enemy of the good".
In other words, recognise when something is already good enough and stop trying to improve when there is no need. (This is generally a business decision where money is the driver, but can apply to anything - especially when doing van conversions! :D )
Ok grasshopper i shall take heed of wise boss from temple of work. (y)
Dont think the wife will let me take shortcuts when wallpapering mind you. 😂

Ok grasshopper i shall take heed of wise boss from temple of work. (y)
Dont think the wife will let me take shortcuts when wallpapering mind you. 😂
Talking decorating I avoid it and especially avoid trying to plaster .... That takes a real knack to know just when to stop smoothing for the best results as it dries. I keep trying to smooth a bit more and a bit more and end up with a worst result :(. As Mr chumley-warner would say ... "Gentlemen, know your limitations" :) )

The original fitment camera on our van is a full colour Dometic unit wired straight to our radio unit screen.
It’s not bad, but definition isn’t that good, similar to other wired cameras that we have had in previous vans.
We have a Garmin 770 Camper sat nav so decided to get the BC40 wireless camera to go with it
The image quality is way ahead of the Dometic unit and it’s been running on the same pair of Energiser lithium batteries for almost 2 years now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back