fitting Victron battery charger for starter battery before DC-DC smart

davethorpeo

Hi all clever people i have just finished adding muiltplus and Cerbo GX to system. was hopeing to use the dual output from muiltplus. to change both lithium fogstar and starter battery. but seems to be incorrect mixing different battery types. so thought I would add Victron charger setup for starter battery before dc-dc. will this not switch on engine startup on dc-dc or are there some settings I need to change first. was ok before disableing the split charge on elb119. now have no charge to starter battery.
I have Victron DC-DC connected to Fogstar 280A Victron 1600 muiltplus and Victron mppt solar all connected to Cerbo GX. and Victron 7a changer
was hoping for a easy way to charge starter.
many thanks if anyone got any ideas

Hi all clever people i have just finished adding muiltplus and Cerbo GX to system. was hopeing to use the dual output from muiltplus. to change both lithium fogstar and starter battery. but seems to be incorrect mixing different battery types. so thought I would add Victron charger setup for starter battery before dc-dc. will this not switch on engine startup on dc-dc or are there some settings I need to change first. was ok before disableing the split charge on elb119. now have no charge to starter battery.
I have Victron DC-DC connected to Fogstar 280A Victron 1600 muiltplus and Victron mppt solar all connected to Cerbo GX. and Victron 7a changer
was hoping for a easy way to charge starter.
many thanks if anyone got any ideas
If you have the DC-DC charger set to activate on voltage detection alone, then putting a mains charger on the starter battery will almost certainly cause it to activate. (This has happened to me in the past ... put on a 20A charger on the starter battery and the 40A B2B kicked in and ended up in a worse situation until the Leisure Batteries could take no more charge).
What you can do with the Victron is instead of having the wire in the green 2-pin plug simply looped, is to connect the D+ signal you will find coming into the EBL119 and also connect that to the Victron Orion. See the manual for how that would be wired - there is a diagram that explains it. By doing this the DC-DC charger will only activate when the Voltage is above the theshold AND the engine is running.

You will have lost the starter battery charging not by disabling the split-charge, but by pulling the mains lead out the ELB I would say.

When you say "dual output from Multiplus" do you mean the Aux charging connection on the MP? It is meant to work by sending around 4A (depends on model) to an auxiliary battery such as a starter battery. it is not a part of a dual-output battery charger, just a constant low-current output.
I don't actually know anyone who has used this TBH. It dosn't really work as described and best off ignored. I'd add a battery maintainer personally rather than a mains charger. Much more flexible.

If you have the DC-DC charger set to activate on voltage detection alone, then putting a mains charger on the starter battery will almost certainly cause it to activate. (This has happened to me in the past ... put on a 20A charger on the starter battery and the 40A B2B kicked in and ended up in a worse situation until the Leisure Batteries could take no more charge).
What you can do with the Victron is instead of having the wire in the green 2-pin plug simply looped, is to connect the D+ signal you will find coming into the EBL119 and also connect that to the Victron Orion. See the manual for how that would be wired - there is a diagram that explains it. By doing this the DC-DC charger will only activate when the Voltage is above the theshold AND the engine is running.

You will have lost the starter battery charging not by disabling the split-charge, but by pulling the mains lead out the ELB I would say.

When you say "dual output from Multiplus" do you mean the Aux charging connection on the MP? It is meant to work by sending around 4A (depends on model) to an auxiliary battery such as a starter battery. it is not a part of a dual-output battery charger, just a constant low-current output.
I don't actually know anyone who has used this TBH. It dosn't really work as described and best off ignored. I'd add a battery maintainer personally rather than a mains charger. Much more flexible.
Hi Wildbus Thanks for that information yes I did mean the aux output, I did pull the 50a fuse going to the elb. as someone told me that keeps the display showing voltage connected. so if I take the d+ signal that will work will check wiring for that. was only trying to use the Victron charger as had spare once the muiltplus was fitted. which battery maintainer would work best.
many thanks

Hi Wildbus Thanks for that information yes I did mean the aux output, I did pull the 50a fuse going to the elb. as someone told me that keeps the display showing voltage connected. so if I take the d+ signal that will work will check wiring for that. was only trying to use the Victron charger as had spare once the muiltplus was fitted. which battery maintainer would work best.
many thanks
My preference is the Ablemail AMT12-2. Yes, I sell them and no, I don't do any others as the AMT12-2 is the best available IMO.

You would keep the D+ on the EBL unit, but piggyback with another wire to go to the Orion.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back