Fixing to the roof

The quiddies

I have just received a snipe 4 sat dish and I am going to fit it myself to my motorhome Over the Christmas break. Has anyone got any advise on the best sealant to use

Sikaflex is perfect but as Steve says check usage temp and make sure fixing points are clean and free from any dirt / dust

I used Sikaflex 292i when fitting an additional solar panel to my Pilote C class After speaking to Pilote, and a couple of suppliers & fitters of solar panels.
Mounted behind the factory fitted panel using 50mm x 50mm ali angle iron brackets x 4, the recommended Sikaflex cleaner / activator and roughened up the brackets & roof as instructed. As per the the factory fitted panel didn’t bother with screws.

Remember that Sikoflex MUST have a thickness. Personally, I used matchsticks under the supports, to ensure that a thickness is created. No thickness, no strength!
Welcome to the forum!
We did something similar when fitting the solar panel....and then some bloody great screws.
Paranoid I know...
On the plus side....it’s still there and no leaks.

Thanks for the tip and thanks for the welcome I was going to cut the nozzle into a V to give the sealer depth

Thanks for the tip and thanks for the welcome I was going to cut the nozzle into a V to give the sealer depth
It would help enormously if you poked something just under the edge of the Snipe base, that you will be able to press down on, without squashing all the Sikoflex out from underneath. Once it has set, it should then be possible to pull the (matchsticks) out, and run a thin bead around the base, totally sealing it.
There is not really any need to use any more fixings, such as screws, puncturing the roof is never a good idea imho.

I was thinking about not screwing it. But if you was to crash at 70mph is it likely to come flying off?
No.
Once Sikoflex has cured, it’s extremely difficult to remove, and is very strong, BUT don’t try to squash it together, you must make sure it has thickness.
As others have said, tile spacers or matchsticks are ideal.
I believe Sikoflex recommend up to a 5mm thickness.
A while ago, we were travelling with a vicious side wind, which managed to rip one of the sun roofs right off, but the solar panel, which is secured by Sikoflex and nothing else, stayed exactly where it was!

Last edited:
That sounds great. Let’s hope I have some dry weather over Christmas I have several upgrades to do on the van

That sounds great. Let’s hope I have some dry weather over Christmas I have several upgrades to do on the van
Good Luck!
Might as well get on with a few jobs..... not much else happening over Christmas!
Let us all know how you get on.

What's the problem with the owner drilling holes in the roof of their van? If they can't do a proper job they shouldn't be doing it.

From my experience of so called professional fitting some shouldn't have given up their job at the butcher's!

If you do it yourself you've only yourself to blame if it leaks and it saves the stress of trying to get it repaired/bodger again by the professional.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back