Floating Roof

vagandvoyager

Can anyone shed any light on this subject? I am about to fit solar panels to my Eura Mobil 770. But while up on the roof measuring, I was horrified when touching the rear part of the roof which felt like the outer skin had come away from the main structure. I checked all the sealant around the edges and skylights and all seems fine.
I was about to take it back to the dealer (as we have only just bought it) when I was told about floating roofs...I thought it was a wind up, but after finding a few posts on other forums it looks like this is normal and not what I was thinking it might be (delamination).
Can anyone here verify this for me, and put my mind at ease.
I did put a video on our "the vagabond voyagers" youtube channel which shows this problem (or not). Believe me I had a really sinking feeling in my stomach at what I was seeing.
Not sure how I could sikaflex solar panels on a roof that floats?

Our Swift had a floating roof too, I remember that feeling you get when you first touch the roof and notice it doesn’t appear to be stuck down!
However, I sikaflexed a solar panel and Snipe 2 Satellite dish to it, but they were located just behind the hump for the Overcab bed and the roof seemed to be fixed to the interior at that point.
I would try and contact your dealer to ask advice or the manufacturers if possible

Our Swift had a floating roof too, I remember that feeling you get when you first touch the roof and notice it doesn’t appear to be stuck down!
However, I sikaflexed a solar panel and Snipe 2 Satellite dish to it, but they were located just behind the hump for the Overcab bed and the roof seemed to be fixed to the interior at that point.
I would try and contact your dealer to ask advice or the manufacturers if possible
The front seems fine, its just from just past centre from the toilet skylight towards the back of the MH that seems to move. I think the solar panels will be OK as one will go across the front end and the second will be on the side so might get away with it. I am also going to fit a maxx fan and that will be fitted where the movement is so that might help as it will be secured down.....was a bit of a shock though I can say.

The roof on my Plaxton Cheetah coach is just a big glass fibre bag. The roof hatches are the the only points it really connects to the steel frame.

What’s the thinking behind it do you know, is it to stop hail damage to roof panels?

Common on Rapidos apparently. I would be wary of bonding down solar panels to a floating roof. I don't like the idea of the whole roof peeling back like a sardine can with me as the sardine!
May have to put a an inspection camera up and look for any wiring and then possibly look at screwing a bracket down..not sure yet.

I have a Pilote Explorateur A Class motorhome with a floating roof. Eight years ago I fixed 2 solar panels to the roof with Sikaflex. Since then I have done over 50,000 miles (France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria etc) and they're still there, and so is the roof!

I have a Pilote Explorateur A Class motorhome with a floating roof. Eight years ago I fixed 2 solar panels to the roof with Sikaflex. Since then I have done over 50,000 miles (France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria etc) and they're still there, and so is the roof!
Thanks for that update, It has really been great knowing that I can fix the solar panels without worrying that someone behind me might get an unpleasant surprise and a solar panel accessory added to their vehicle.

MY Elddis 155 has a floating roof the aluminium sheet can be seen to ripple on hot days,I don't think it would harm to screw your panel to the roof as the sheet would find it's own way to expand

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back