Folding solar panels.

Most people you’ll see using them are charging power banks like Jakery or ECOFLOW systems but some have them connected to the van lesurue batteries through a solar controller. The one I’m using is a 400w set of panels that can do both. The man who seems to have all the answers is wildebus. Here’s the system I’m using

If you have the space to store and carry when not in use you are better off with rigid framed panels
Very true. But. There’s only so much you can put on the roof. Some of these high budget MH’s have so much junk on the roof, spread out willy nilly, you have little option than to have them spread out on the floor.
My 200w panels live in a frame under the bed, when not out. They do have their own MPPT. The main array tilts on the roof when parked. There’s never to little sunshine, it’s always not enough battery 🫣

I recently bought x 2 of these 200 watt folding solar panels below after a recommendation from a member.
They have been excellent, no solar controller which for me isn’t an issue as they are for charging my EcoFlow Delta 2 max & extra battery power station which has the solar controller built in, I just plug the power station into the caravan ehu socket and basically I’m now self sufficient for power since buying the panels.
I have a folding EcoFlow folding panel but the stand is rubbish, it uses the carry case as a stand. The Excel Power stand is heavyweight and I peg them down if windy. They come with an excellent padded carry case into the bargain. Also way cheaper than EcoFlow panels.

Last edited:
Very true. But. There’s only so much you can put on the roof. Some of these high budget MH’s have so much junk on the roof, spread out willy nilly, you have little option than to have them spread out on the floor.
My 200w panels live in a frame under the bed, when not out. They do have their own MPPT. The main array tilts on the roof when parked. There’s never to little sunshine, it’s always not enough battery 🫣
Yeah I meant lose panels Del, lean them against the van, hang on the van whatever when parked.

Thinking of getting one to; no idea how they connect up or what to. Can anyone recommend a you tube video. Thanks

Thinking of getting one to; no idea how they connect up or what to. Can anyone recommend a you tube video. Thanks
It’s not difficult, it can be expensive. One of those occasions where you do get what you pay for.
For me, now, cos I have bought some rubbish, it’s got to be a Victron MPPT. And a named solar panel.
I’ve had no issues with Craig Solar on my fixed panels on roof, and the Bluetti 200w

Now there’s an idea for you. Go for the Bluetti or Eco Flow power stations, they could come with their own folding panels. That way you’ll have solar and a rechargeable lithium battery. After that, you’d want to upgrade from rubbish lead acid batteries, that only give you 50% of its capacity, to lithium that will give power in the high 90’s%
Honestly, lithium is a game changer.
Going that route, you could take advantage of our 5% Fogstar discount offer, Phil has arranged. 😬

YouTube? Look at Greg Virgo’s videos. He is considered by some, to be the guru of British van builders.

Would be better with will Prowse or Bob wells I would have thought for that?

Would be better with will Prowse or Bob wells I would have thought for that?
I would agree Neil. I was trying to give a 👍 for the Brits. You could have also added Explorist Life. He has probably a more informative channel.

After all, all we are doing connecting couple of cables and fuses. No brain surgery is involved 🤯

I would agree Neil. I was trying to give a 👍 for the Brits. You could have also added Explorist Life. He has probably a more informative channel.

After all, all we are doing connecting couple of cables and fuses. No brain surgery is involved 🤯
I have never heard of that one Del, I have seen a lot of vids Bob has done although I don’t usually watch the solar and powerbank ones as they aren’t really relevant to me. I usually have a look at Will every now and then just to keep up, unfortunately a lot of the brands he gets aren’t available here on lifepo4 battery’s but it gives you a decent idea 👍

I have never heard of that one Del, I have seen a lot of vids Bob has done although I don’t usually watch the solar and powerbank ones as they aren’t really relevant to me. I usually have a look at Will every now and then just to keep up, unfortunately a lot of the brands he gets aren’t available here on lifepo4 battery’s but it gives you a decent idea 👍
Worth watch Neil. Give you something to do in those long evenings 😶‍🌫️

I fitted so semi flexible ones to the roof of our MH because they are lighter without the frames. They have worked really well for the last 4 years. 2 x 50 in series, 2 x 50 in series and 2 x 80 in series then the 3 sets connected in parrallel. Gives 40 + volts and about 8 amps into a Victron Controller.

Back