Foods available in France, with French names

Maggie

Free Member

Don't know if this will help anyone worrying about what food they can bring from the UK after the dreaded B word. I will try to give French equivalents to various foods.
Having lived in France for 17 years, I have pretty much sussed most things.

Porridge oats - flocons d'avoine ( available most supermarkets

Coffee Mate - Completa (Asian supermarkets)

Condensed and evaporated milk - lait condensé and lait évaporé (available most supermarkets)

Cheddar cheese, often available in large supermarkets, usually in the deli section.

Vegiburgers - Lots of supermarkets are stocking a good supply of various vegi items (Always have the green V on them)

Tea - Lidl's Earl Grey is as good as Twynings

Having trouble thinking of any more, but if anyone needs anything, please post and I will try to help

What's French for
A)...
Marmite..
B)
Bovril..
C)
P.G. Tips.
D)
H.P. Sauce
E)
Fray Bentos Pies..
F).
Birds Custard Powder.
G)
Ambrosia Creamed Rice ?
H)
Andrex Toilet Rolls..?

That's all I'll Ever need to know.

What's French for
A)...
Marmite..
B)
Bovril..
C)
P.G. Tips.
D)
H.P. Sauce
E)
Fray Bentos Pies..
F).
Birds Custard Powder.
G)
Ambrosia Creamed Rice ?
H)
Andrex Toilet Rolls..?

I can help with no.1, Paul.
I was served four or five bald (but otherwise complete) small birds in a 'marmite' in France about 45 years ago. It's a casserole dish, as confirmed by Wiki:

Screenshot_20210517-220138.jpg

I note with interest that your list is alcohol-free (sans alcool).

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
I can help with no.1, Paul.
I was served four or five bald (but otherwise complete) small birds in a 'marmite' in France about 45 years ago. It's a casserole dish, as confirmed by Wiki:

View attachment 59346

I note with interest that your list is alcohol-free (sans alcool).

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
I did try asking for , " Une pint du Propriétaire Timothé Taylor's "..
But what I got was a half litre of , " Baril Rouge du Watney's "

What's French for
A)...
Marmite..
B)
Bovril..
C)
P.G. Tips.
D)
H.P. Sauce
E)
Fray Bentos Pies..
F).
Birds Custard Powder.
G)
Ambrosia Creamed Rice ?
H)
Andrex Toilet Rolls..?

If the Portugese airline gave you ftee beer you could say you have beer on TAP.!

It is a shame this potentially useful thread has ended up as irrelevent and pointless :rolleyes:

Maybe IF it were posted in a Jokes/Humour section, the replies might have been appropriate?

at the deli counter ,poitrine , belly pork , en tranches - voila ! streaky bacon any thickness you want

in the epicerie , the ,with an accent , peko orange casse - broken orange peko ,more or less pg tips. avec de huile de bergamot, - earl grey

It is a shame this potentially useful thread has ended up as irrelevent and pointless :rolleyes:
Indeed. It happens too often in some forums.

Something that irks me about some people abroad is the refusal to try and speak any of the language and also assume that in some remote rural area the local shop assistants will have perfect English. It shows much more respect when instead of pointing to something in the display and using fingers to convey quantity a few Spanish, French or whatever words goes down so much better. And if it's something you don't know then ask: Como se llama? and then you'll know the next time. And it's much more fun.

once had to spend some hours in a German airport. sunday do v. Quiet.
only me and the German barmaid.
when I tried to order something she pointed at my German phrase book and made me try German. She then got her English phrase book and replied in English.
sounds silly but it was a fun way to spend what can be a very boring time in an airport.

A good phrase book, Mr Google and few evening on Duolingo (free) instead of being glued to the box nd you can soon pick up enough to get by. With menus assume anything being served is unlikely to kill you then try to memorise anything you really do not like, after that just go for it! The fun is trying new things be they views, drinks, food or customs.

Actually wasn't sure if the thread was meant to be serious .
A thread where we're told French for Cheddar cheese is Cheddar cheese ?
The french DO call THEIR version of cheddar Cheese " Cheddar" after the UK Manufacturers failed to prevent them doing so.

The french DO call THEIR version of cheddar Cheese " Cheddar" after the UK Manufacturers failed to prevent them doing so.
I was told by a frenchman that “Cantal” is the french version of cheddar, the brand that we tried was not as good as cheddar.

I was told by a frenchman that “Cantal” is the french version of cheddar, the brand that we tried was not as good as cheddar.
we find Comté is about as close as it gets. haven't seen a non U.K. cheddar here yet, when i do it will get eaten 😁

Won't need any translation then ! Never thought that cheddar wasn't a 'protected designation of origin' . Which is a bit strange as I'm very fond of Mull Cheddar !
West Country Farmhouse Cheddar is the protected name .
Every day a school day

It really should be as it is a place name. Don't see why "Champagne" gets such preferrential treatment in comparision as that is no different really

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back