For the Yacht'ies amongst us

Molly 3

Hope she makes it , southern ocean in a 36 ft boat ?? Nothing around for hundreds of miles , no boats no aircraft nothing , . how her boat survived a pitch pole was a miracle.

Edina

Tony Bullimore spent 4 days trapped in the hull of his boat in the southern ocean and was rescued. It seems as if the boat is sound, so providing she has enough water she should be okay.
Got a lot of respect for people like her! (y)

grath

Tony Bullimore spent 4 days trapped in the hull of his boat in the southern ocean and was rescued. It seems as if the boat is sound, so providing she has enough water she should be okay.
Got a lot of respect for people like her! (y)
I am surprised she is asking for a rescue boat (if she is) she could put up a Jury Rig!
I just hope the boat does not just get abandoned! Lots of money wasted.
And the cost of the Freighter to divert to her!

Edina

I am surprised she is asking for a rescue boat (if she is) she could put up a Jury Rig!
She said in the article that she can't because she has only the hull and deck left. A ship is diverting to her, expected Friday. Bliddy bleak place to be stuck in a boat that must be bouncing all over the place with no mast or rigging.

grath

She said in the article that she can't because she has only the hull and deck left. A ship is diverting to her, expected Friday. Bliddy bleak place to be stuck in a boat that must be bouncing all over the place with no mast or rigging.
Yes, I agree it is a rough place and I don't know all the details.
Shame though! but good girl!

Molly 3

I just hope the boat does not just get abandoned! Lots of money wasted.
And the cost of the Freighter to divert to her!
I would think it would be impossible to to make up a jury rig after a pitch pole in the southern ocean in huge waves and howling gales waves crashing over the damaged decks . if possible I would expect the sea cocks to be opened and the boat sunk after she is rescued. Hope she makes it .

grath

The rescue boat (ship) has been delayed due to bad weather. Expected rescue is now expected to be later today and not this morning!

There are different ways of being insane,cannot understand why people put others at risk to save them,they should have stayed at home by the fire with a cup of tea.

grath

There are different ways of being insane,cannot understand why people put others at risk to save them,they should have stayed at home by the fire with a cup of tea.
Maybe they don't drink tea;):D

time4t

I think these people are are not necessarily insane, but are out to thrill seek & build a name for themselves.
When they think they've done enough, they write a book, or make a film about they're exploits.

It's like the free climbers/mountaineers etc., they climb because they need to prove to themselves that they can do it, when they stop, it's often the case that they're the ones who go out in all weathers to rescue those in trouble!
But, I do agree that it's a very selfish thing to do when it might be people who have no experience in sailing/climbing or walking to the north & south poles, that are called on to rescue them while risking they're own lives!

Phill

Molly 3

I hope she can afford the bill ? 38000 tone cargo ship .I used to admire people like that but now I think they are barmy .she is lucky to be alive .southern ocean single handed in a 7 ton 36 ft boat .

nabsim

I hope she can afford the bill ? 38000 tone cargo ship .I used to admire people like that but now I think they are barmy .she is lucky to be alive .southern ocean single handed in a 7 ton 36 ft boat .
That’s what you Havel travel insurance for Baz :)

i dont know the logistics for sailing across an ocean.......however...a ship having to do a couple of days detour to rescue her.....one would have thought for safety reasons etc......there would have been some rules that stated the sail boat would have to keep to a shipping lane or within a certain distance from it............???????

No need for shipping lanes very few boat down their ? Nowhere for them to go except the Antarctic south pole

Last edited:
It was a well found yacht and all equipment on board for such ocean crossings but as always things can go wrong. When they do it is Maritime Law to lend assistance to a vessel in distress. These things happen, a bit like preparing your camper for every eventuality except the one that causes the breakdown. People take on these challenges for a variety of reasons but it is certainly not to get rich! Good luck to them, at least it is a proper challenge not just someone sitting on the edge of a cliff taking a selfie to post on TwitFace then having the Coastguard and Lifeboat out half the night trying to find them...

I think the difference is that these Guys and Gals are not just sailing in those waters, but are pushing the boats to the limits and that is the reason the mast broke!