Frankia rear plastic wheel arches getting brittle and cracking on 10 year old camper

Trek

Free Member

Frankia rear plastic wheel arches getting brittle and cracking on 10 year old camper

My 10 year old Frankia’s plastic wheel arches are getting brittle and cracking

I think its time to change them

Anyone else had to do this ?

Wondering if I should attempt to make some out of fibreglass or try and get new ones from Frankia

There is a firm that Full member used who will make any fibre glass parts as my guess would be Frankia won't be making any parts for a vehicle that age but worth trying .
This is them I believe
http://motorhomebumpers.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Banned Member Will check out that website

just realised that i didn't make it clear regarding the wheel arch

its not the decorative trim outside - its the rear wheel arch under the body

I managed to damage my 2010 Frankia rear wheel arch so had to replace it. I ordered a new part from Frankia (via SMC) then took it to my local paint shop (royal warrant as they do the Balmoral vehicles!) to match the colour and spray it. I then riveted the new arch in place and nobody could tell that it was a replacement. Frankia were very quick in sending the part - it arrived after 2 weeks.
Total cost as I recall was something around £250 all in (£200 for the part and postage, £50 for the spray job). Not particularly cheap but worth it for such a nice van.
Tony

Thanks Tony

Thinking of going to the NEC show so i will ask SMC while I am up there , will also speak with the Frankia rep if I see him

may even consider going back to the factory repair workshop in Germany and get them to do it

It might be worth having a conversation with motorhome bumpers that Charlie suggested as the do more than provide the external wheel arches, they seem to be branching out into motor home body work repairs.

Banned member;n26269 said:
There is a firm that Full member used who will make any fibre glass parts as my guess would be Frankia won't be making any parts for a vehicle that age but worth trying .
This is them I believe
http://motorhomebumpers.com/

That's the one, Charlie. I'm still pleased with the rear bumper and sink that Anton made and fitted for me.

Colin :):):)

Have to make a temp repair today as i was planning on a weekend away and its rather wet outside this morning

the section that is currently affected is the part that comes down the inner side of the outer side wall and then underneath the semi circular cut out in the side wall

so not easy to fabricate anything due the the semicircle of the wheel arch cut out in side wall

plus its all dirty and needs a good clean under there

think i will just smear a load of sikaflex over the area and maybe with some plasterers plastic scrim tape to give a little bit of strength where it wraps under the arch in the side wall

I suppose i could use fibreglass to just cover the broken section and this would at least then be applied direct to the area so follow the shapes exactly but its not a winter job so i will leave that until it warms up

Temporary repair done today using 100mm rectangular flat air duct cut up to give me a right angle and fitted in sections to follow the semicircular arch with copious amounts of sikaflex

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back