Frejus v mt Blanc tunnels?

Carrerasax

Any advice as we’ve been told traffic is very congested at mt b and expensive!
Need most straight forward least scary route into Italy from France for the wife!!

There's not a lot of difference in the toll charges ĺnot cheap for >3m - but think of the alternative) - hardly surprising given that they're government regulated and the need to keep flows balanced.

We often drive over the col at Mont Cenis not a scary drive and a aire at the top beside a large lake good place to over nite always space as parking in several places check this but I was told Mont blanc tunnel you need control aire sticker now
The aire https://tinyurl.com/y2y47s3o

Last edited:
We did Frejus to Cannes and then onto Monaco lovely road but did not have the time to carry on to Italy.

Just checked tunnel entrance shows lorrys and bus using it tonite

Sorry - I misinterpreted the message on their website - low emission trucks allowed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190914-201545_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190914-201545_Chrome.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 2
I'd go via the Frejus tunnel if I were you. The approach to the Mont Blanc tunnel is much steeper both sides plus you have the road up from the valley which might not be to your wifes liking: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9...4!1sVcJI1jXU8p6shnnkYfOmRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Maurienne valley up to Frejus is also a nicer drive than the road up to Chamonix and I think the same is true on the Italian side as well. Both sides are a gradual valley incline with no hairpin bends, cliff edges or viaducts.

Used both when trucking
frejus is wider and easier drive up to and down from
Ta 4 tip. A great route, wife certainly appreciated the gradual inclines although she did stress at the anticipation on approach!!!!
€60 mind, one way, should have checked that this was under 3.5 ton rate but hey ho, in Italy now!!!
😀😀many thanks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back