French Telepeage

big tom

Advice on French Telépéage please, I have a Hymer S700 and thinking of starting to use the Telepeage system, can anyone give me advice as to what system to use and what class or group I should be in?

Thanks

We've used this one for a few years with no problems .......

I have used ATMB without issue for about six years.

The battery on the transponder is due to expire, probably next year. I suspect I may switch to Bip and go, purely because their system is usable in Spain, Portugal, Italy as well as France.

@GMJ

One of our members GMJ will probably be along shortly. He can offer you a discount of a few euros, (he will get a few euros credit too). He can advise on how usable their system is.

Davy

Hi

We started using a Bip&Go tag this year as it covers France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. Prior to that we had an Emovis one covering just France.

Officially they are for vehicles below 3m in height and under 3500kg however ours is around 3.03m and up to 5000kg but we have never had a problem using it. It saves Mrs GMJ from having to lean out of windows grabbing tickets or trying to pay. We had 100% success with on our 2 trips through France this year.

Cost-wise I think both the tag systems are broadly similar.

As TeamRienza alluded too above, if you go down this route drop me a PM with your name and email address on it and we can both get 4€ off our next/first invoice.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION...make sure that your bank can accept 'SEPA Direct Debits' as I found out recently that First Direct can't...and not all banks do either! I opened a Lloyds current account purely to handle Bip&Go transaction as they can accept SEPA DD's.

At what height from the ground is the tag fitted ? the top of my car windscreen is 1.6 meters, and the bottom of my S700 is the same at 1.6 meters, does it matter which side, it is fitted, I am awaiting the TAG.

I don't have mine fitted. One less thing cluttering up the screen for me.

I always hold it up to the windscreen as we pass through the tolls. If you do this just remember to hold it with the base facing the windscreen as if it was fixed as it is read much easier that way.

We only have a problem with SAPN Autoroutes, around Rouen and Calais where the machines reject our credit cards [all 3 in Rouen in early March] whilst making the 'Funds reservation' provisional debit. On the bright side, I did have to exit the cab and ask a less than gracious HGV Driver behind us if he could reverse a tad, so that I could reverse out of the 'Peage Pen' and go in search of a cash booth. Perhaps it was the early hour that upset him ...

Other Autoroute networks work faultlessly, and I have the enjoyable view of Elaine's derriere as she leans out of the window retrieving tickets and receipts. Wakes me up at 5am ... :)

Steve

We only have a problem with SAPN Autoroutes, around Rouen and Calais where the machines reject our credit cards [all 3 in Rouen in early March] whilst making the 'Funds reservation' provisional debit. On the bright side, I did have to exit the cab and ask a less than gracious HGV Driver behind us if he could reverse a tad, so that I could reverse out of the 'Peage Pen' and go in search of a cash booth. Perhaps it was the early hour that upset him ...

Other Autoroute networks work faultlessly, and I have the enjoyable view of Elaine's derriere as she leans out of the window retrieving tickets and receipts. Wakes me up at 5am ... :)

Steve
So like me Steve you are a right-hand drive, I just wondered if there is a preference for it, Left Right, or Center of the windscreen.

The emovis tag we have is fitted at the top of the screen where the mirror would have been. There’s a faq on installation here

So like me Steve you are a right-hand drive, I just wondered if there is a preference for it, Left Right, or Center of the windscreen.
I don't use the Telepeage system, Tom .Just the Credit Card, or cash when SAPN goes into dozy mode [which is quite often!]

Steve

Hi our MH has quite a big over cab bed (traditional coachbuilt) ..... would the tag be reliably detected still at top of windscreen?

Hi our MH has quite a big over cab bed (traditional coachbuilt) ..... would the tag be reliably detected still at top of windscreen?
I read somewhere in Emovis Q&A that its not reccomended What we did was held it in our hand first few times until we where sure where it would work giving it time to respond in each position not waving it around before sticking the holder in place be sure as they do stick not easily removed

We managed to go through a 30kmph lane at 20Kmph the other day, which is a record for us as normally I bottle it and slow right down. :D

I do get a smug feeling as we cruise through though and all the vehicles that overtook us in the minutes prior to the gare de peage who don't have a tag, then have to overtake us again.

I used our Bip&Go successfully in Italy this week. The barriers lifted noticeably quicker than in France as well.

I used our Bip&Go successfully in Italy this week. The barriers lifted noticeably quicker than in France as well.
Italian arms lift much quicker because of the expertise in surrendering? :) And if you ever wondered why Italy is shaped like a boot, it's because they can't cram all that cr*p into a plimsoll, as the old joke has it ... :)

Just hope the Fiat doesn't go off on a strop now!

Steve

Italian arms lift much quicker because of the expertise in surrendering? :) And if you ever wondered why Italy is shaped like a boot, it's because they can't cram all that cr*p into a plimsoll, as the old joke has it ... :)

Just hope the Fiat doesn't go off on a strop now!

Steve
You’ll find the Fiat only works in reverse now.😉

You’ll find the Fiat only works in reverse now.😉
But servicing will be cheaper because greasing can be achieved FOC by reversing over [insert choice of nationality] Wine Waiter ... :) . Would that I could spell xenophobe, but I've had stranger wishes ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back