Fridge External Winter Covers

GMJ

Fridge External Winter Covers

Hi Folks

Do you put these on in winter, over the normal grilles?

ta

Graham [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/emoticons.datahamster.com\/smile.gif"}[/IMG2]

Edited to amend "replace" with "over" !

Last edited:
They normally fit on over the existing grilles and are locked in with a twist of the plastic locking lugs using a coin or similarly, at least- mine do! They're coming off soon though for a short Christmas trip out! They can sometimes be a bit fiddly to apply if the locking clips are already in the 'locked' position particularly. Check for that and don't try to force them on!

never used them (in fact never had them) and we've been in sub-zero loads of times (down to -20C last January) when skiing. never had a problem with a fridge in 3 successive motorhomes

I use them in extreme cold (eg sking ) but also feel that they may keep out some road spray and rain when driving in very wet conditions at any time of the year

so i also fit them on very wet days when driving and when camper parked up ( i soon realise if I forget to take them off as the fridge doesnt get cold in normal temps)

I think I might use them in Jan when we are travelling down through France. I have just ordered a couple of spare turnbuckle locks for them just in case.

Graham
smile.gif

They work on the principal of raising the ambient temperature behind the fridge so that the refrigerant has a good differential between the hot and cold temperatures required to make the cooling system work effectively.
If the refrigerant is not heated to a high enough degree then it won't expand enough to give decent cooling effect.
The result.......sans ice cubes on the hoof!

I have three vents behind my fridge freezer, I put covers over the lower two grills. I'm sure the manufacturer recommends using them when temperatures reach 10c. I put them on last week and now they will be on until about March

I put mine on a few weeks back and always leave them on over the winter. The fridge works happily with them on.

BEWARE, DO NOT USE if it is not cold, the fridge won't get cool enough.
If in doubt put the bottom one on but not the top so hot air can get out.

Glass man;n14736 said:
BEWARE, DO NOT USE if it is not cold, the fridge won't get cool enough.
If in doubt put the bottom one on but not the top so hot air can get out.

That could be an unintended bonus for me and my over-enthusiastic fridge... it freezes all my breakfast fruit and the milk too if I don't keep an eye on it and keep turning it down further :rolleyes:
12-year old Dometic with a strong work ethic!

Quoting from Towsure website..
[h=3]WINTER FRIDGE VENT COVERS PROTECTS DURING STORAGE[/h] With a caravan vent cover fitted, creepy-crawlies are prevented from entering your caravan through the vent grilles whilst your caravan is in storage. The cover also protects against dust and debris building up and clogging the vent, and water ingress. Handy to use when washing your caravan too - prevent washing water from accidentally entering the vents especially if hosing down or using a flow brush. [h=3]CARAVAN FRIDGE VENT COVERS AID EFFICIENCY IN LOW TEMPERATURES[/h] Fridge vent covers are not just winter storage covers. Use a vent cover in your caravan in temperatures of 8 degrees C or below, to aid heat exchange and help your fridge to operate efficiently

The Dometic handbook says 10 degrees. Its strange how few you see in use though isn't it?

Graham
smile.gif

Yes, i follow the Dometic instructions and put them on when the outside temperature is going to drop below 8 Celsius.

Personally i found they do work and make a difference.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back