Fridge needs a new thermocouple

My 3-way fridge has stopped working. I have no idea why, but it doesn't go. It seems to light but soon goes out. I've heard it suggested that it can help to take it out and turn it upside down (and back again!) for a (probably temporary) fix. Is that true? How would I know if it is the thermocoupler?
If it is going out then turning it upside down will not help, that is a quick fix for if it stays alight but doesn't cool.
If it keeps going out it could be the thermocouple but it is more likely to be a dirty jet, if it isn't burning cleanly with a good flame it will not put enough heat on the thermocouple

My 3-way fridge has stopped working. I have no idea why, but it doesn't go. It seems to light but soon goes out. I've heard it suggested that it can help to take it out and turn it upside down (and back again!) for a (probably temporary) fix. Is that true? How would I know if it is the thermocoupler?

If it's the thermocouple the gas won't stay alight and for instance on mine the electronic lighter will flash.

My concern with compressor fridges would be the noise.
We had one in New Zealand and also Australia and during the night when the motor cut in it became quite annoying.
So unless the new ones are quieter I have my reservations.
That was several years ago and I don’t think lee would hear it now ....

Last time out we had problems with fridge, the igniter light intermittently flashing.
With the aid of a spoon and small bungy I managed a temporary repair.
Once home I inspected the burner to find the thermocouple had broken, I found a replacement, £11.98 for a universal one, one to fit my fridge £37.98.
Someone somewhere is making a bit of a profit, obviously the universal wasn't exactly the same and so I had to buy the more expensive one but they both must cost a similar amount to make.
That's the pleasure of owning a Motorhome I suppose and on the plus side I now can chill out with a working fridge.

Had the same problem a few years ago with an old Dometic, and fitted a universal replacement thermocouple, designed for a gas boiler at circa £5,- Worked a treat. They are fundamentally the same bit of kit which generate a micro electric current when heated, which in turn opens a small electromagnetic solenoid valve, allowing the gas to get through to the burner.

You're quite correct about the way some early thermostats worked, Nosmo King. I think Hairydog is specifically referring to the type of temperature control using thermocouples which, as you will be aware, generate a small electric current which in turn is used to control temperature.
I repeat: ALL thermocouples are electrical. Not all thermostats, just all thermocouples.
The thing stuck in the gas flame is a thermocouple. It is electrical, and it connects to the gas valve electrically.
The thing inside a fridge that measures the temperature may be a thermocouple, but it is vastly more likely to be a temperature-sensitive resistor or diode. Still electrical, of course, but not a thermocouple.
This may seem like a pendantic point, but if people use clearly-defined words wrongly, it can only cause confusion.

That is a fix to a fridge problem, but it is most emphatically NOT the fix to the problem that your fridge has.

I repeat: ALL thermocouples are electrical. Not all thermostats, just all thermocouples.
The thing stuck in the gas flame is a thermocouple. It is electrical, and it connects to the gas valve electrically.
The thing inside a fridge that measures the temperature may be a thermocouple, but it is vastly more likely to be a temperature-sensitive resistor or diode. Still electrical, of course, but not a thermocouple.
This may seem like a pendantic point, but if people use clearly-defined words wrongly, it can only cause confusion.

I’m not wishing to get into an argument, but you are WRONG, not all thermocouples are electrical, the early couples WERE of the pressure type !!

It’s like saying all “ spitfires”are planes, but NOT ALL planes are spitfires

Regarding compressor fridges we were rather sceptical when our van had one fitted but can honestly say we never hear it running unless you put your ear to it. It is a Wesbasto 90ltr fridge freezer. No worries.

I’m not wishing to get into an argument, but you are WRONG, not all thermocouples are electrical, the early couples WERE of the pressure type !!
If they are not electrical, they are not thermocouples. Fact, not opinion.

I can't see if anyone mentioned it or not but when looking for a thermocouple make sure it is designed for LPG. I got caught this way changing one on my central heating which was LPG, I used a standard mains gas one, it lasted 1 year before failing. This was due to the higher temperature of LPG. Thankfully I had a spare as it always fails when it is cold, dark and most likely the start of the weekend when everyone is closed!

Last time out we had problems with fridge, the igniter light intermittently flashing.
With the aid of a spoon and small bungy I managed a temporary repair.
Once home I inspected the burner to find the thermocouple had broken, I found a replacement, £11.98 for a universal one, one to fit my fridge £37.98.
Someone somewhere is making a bit of a profit, obviously the universal wasn't exactly the same and so I had to buy the more expensive one but they both must cost a similar amount to make.
That's the pleasure of owning a Motorhome I suppose and on the plus side I now can chill out with a working fridge.

I had a problem last year that appeared to be due to the thermocouple, so I bought a replacement. Like you I was surprised at the price difference between off-the-shelf thermocouples and those sold specifically for motorhome fridges. However, common parts are too short to fit. It does seem criminal that so much extra is charged for a bit more tube.

I had confirmed that the thermocouple was faulty by measuring the generated voltage when the head was in a flame. It should be at least 20mV.

However, the problem persisted even with a new thermocouple. I eventually traced the fault to a loose connection in the selector switch (which disconnects the thermocouple when you switch to any other source).

I had a problem last year that appeared to be due to the thermocouple, so I bought a replacement. Like you I was surprised at the price difference between off-the-shelf thermocouples and those sold specifically for motorhome fridges. However, common parts are too short to fit. It does seem criminal that so much extra is charged for a bit more tube.

I had confirmed that the thermocouple was faulty by measuring the generated voltage when the head was in a flame. It should be at least 20mV.

However, the problem persisted even with a new thermocouple. I eventually traced the fault to a loose connection in the selector switch (which disconnects the thermocouple when you switch to any other source).

It was much simpler for me the head of the thermocouple was coming off the end of the tube.

It was much simpler for me the head of the thermocouple was coming off the end of the tube.
Made sure you got your moneys worth eh Lee :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back