from agm to lithium

cyclone2

Hi Everyone i have got some lithium batterys that i would like to use in my adria twin (please see pictures) at the moment there are 2 x 6v leoch sla-6225 dt
batterys that are in the cupboard at the rear of the van these appear to be connected to the ELEKTROBLOCK EBL 208 S
And there is a pwm controller connected directly to these batterys also can i replace these with the lithium ?
thanks

54 views and no replys? thanks
A reply.
Were you informing someone on here you intended to change battery type and charge controller?
Or how to change battery type?
" Please see pictures" What pictures ?

Very few folk on here refuse a request for help. Try to be a little more specific, maybe. ;) ;) 👍

Bin the pwm control unit ,you require a MPPT unit, can you not fit the batteries closer to the middle of the van which will centre the weight across all the axles, if they are light then all is well.

thanks for the reply , i will try to explain what i aim to do , i have 2 x 6v agm batterys that are connected to the elektroblock which charges them
there is also a pwm solar charge controller connected directly to these batterys and 3 x 100w solar panels . now what i would like to do is change the solar charge controller to a victron mppt 150 35 which i have and to change the 2 x agm batterys to my lithium ion batterys i think it should be ok using the agm setting on the electroblock but i would just like a little advice on this .thanks for your help

Wildbus is the man, as long as the voltage settings agree I don't see a problem, hope your new control unit also tops the starter batt up, voltronic ones do and have settings for all types of batteries.

Wot he sed :rolleyes:.
Phil Tomlinson, head honcho on here has done the same.
Loads of stuff on YouTube to refer to and ask questions on what you didn't understand or not sure about.

@ Will Prowse or EXPLORIST-Life Diy Camper on YouTube. Everything you wanted to know,and a lot you didn't is there. Hope that helps

I have a Lithium battery and it uses the Lead Acid setting on the 240v charger and the Lithium setting on the Victron MTTP controller. Also have a unit that gets the smart alternator to put out more power and that is set to Lithium. The AGM setting is not the right charging voltage for Lithium.

thanks for the reply , i will try to explain what i aim to do , i have 2 x 6v agm batterys that are connected to the elektroblock which charges them
there is also a pwm solar charge controller connected directly to these batterys and 3 x 100w solar panels . now what i would like to do is change the solar charge controller to a victron mppt 150 35 which i have and to change the 2 x agm batterys to my lithium ion batterys i think it should be ok using the agm setting on the electroblock but i would just like a little advice on this .thanks for your help
I know little about the Electoblock units so can't comment on that. I do know some are very basic and some are pretty advanced and well upto the job of charging what you want to fit and have Lithium Settings. Which you have though I don't know. Some Hymer/German Van owner may be able to advise further on that?

For Solar, you say you have the Victron 150/35 already. That is well OTT in terms of supporting the 3 100W panels. If you hadn't already have got the 150/35 I would have said get a 100/20. If you don't intend to expand beyond the 300W of Panels and want to save money you could likely sell the 150/35 for a fair bit more than a new 100/20 would cost.
You will consider how you will protect the Batteries against charging at low temp. It sounds like your batteries are inside the vehicle so shouldn't get very cold, but be aware that allowing a Lithium Battery to charge below 0C is the death knell for it. Some batteries have heaters that come on to deal with very low temp charging; some have a BMS with low temp charging; plenty claim to have protection but don't really. Do you know what system YOUR batteries have to protect themselves?

Trevor mentions about topping up the starter via the solar controller - it is a handy thing to be able to do. The Victron units don't do that, but I would still go Victron anyway as a better controller (IMO) than the Votronic.
If it is a feature you want to be able to do, then there are various methods but the proper way to do it is with a Trickle Charger. Be aware that most trickle chargers on the market are NOT suitable to install when you have Lithium. There is a discussion on this subject on MHF here. The end conclusion the poster made is one I would inevitably agree with (get an AMT-12) but it is a useful discussion to read regardless.

HTH

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back