Frost protection valve staying open!

The laird

Rally Organiser

Went to drain water etc off van today but to my surprise the valve done it’s job and dumped the water
I’m now trying to check the system but can’t get the dump valve to close to allow me to put in some fluid to check my system anyone else had this problem ?
thanks in advance for any assistance/ tips

I tie a slip knot out of fishing line to mine and pull up until it clicks then tie the other end to a small hook fill up put water heater on once the temp is up undo the fishing line or if you have another pair of hands get them to hold the dump valve while you fill and warm up. 👍

Fill a hot water bottle and put over valve and you can close right away. If air temp below 4 degrees will open again but hopefully you have heating on by then. The hot water bottle trick allows you to fill up bleed air and get on the road.

I have had the same problem numerous times, I just put a small fan heater blowing over the valve and within 5 minutes can reset the valve. Then put the heating on to warm up the hab area.
I have never disabled the dump valve as many suggest, it’s there for a reason and I would rather it dumped the water than have the Truma combi freeze up.

I have had the same problem numerous times, I just put a small fan heater blowing over the valve and within 5 minutes can reset the valve. Then put the heating on to warm up the hab area.
I have never disabled the dump valve as many suggest, it’s there for a reason and I would rather it dumped the water than have the Truma combi freeze up.
I do only ever disable mine temporarily while I get it refilled after it’s done it’s job and dumped the water. 🙂

I swear mine drops the water at about 6 or 7 degrees. It is inside the warm area too.

I hold mine up and put a HD plastic clothes peg on it, It never drops unless I take it off, Mine not only drains the heater but syphons most of the tank out as well so after being caught a couple of times I don't give it the chance anymore

I removed the electronics from mine several years ago, now it is just a manual valve which works fine for me, I have been motorhoming a long time and there was no such thing as frost protection valves on self builds in the 90's, I have only had one problem in over 30 years and it was a kitchen tap in the Hymer which I hadn't opened in the middle position after removing the pump fuse, the only damage it did was split the plastic pipe connector so I was lucky
s-l96.jpg

It’s criminal they don’t properly winterise vans instead of dumping the water. I would be mortified if I got up one morning to find I had no water. Maybe not bad on a site but that’s not so often for me

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back