Full Respray or Wrap

RCW

Free Member

Considering after lockdown taking the van over to Ireland for a respray (too expensive to do in France / Switzerland where I mainly am) some good “reserve price” holds on ferry’s.

Anyway to the point....

has anybody had a respray or wrap, I understand a wrap is Significantly cheaper but only lasts about 7 years.

Who’s had a full respray or wrap, how much was it may I ask? Mines a 7 meter, 3.3T 1998 Ford Transit btw. Paints old and I’m looking at just respraying maybe in black or dark green. (Currently white)

do I get a discount for flower power painting? 😅

CBC56ACE-66E9-4A20-A839-E4B5D3506527.jpeg

Have you considered painting it yourself or you could go on YouTube and look at Beyond the van they spray vans.
Theres also abother paint used is called Raptor which some van conversion YouTube people use.

Every van will be different in price as some need filling and work done to it. Can I ask what price you got in France that you are considering going to ireland. There will be far more masking and taping up. Windows. Vents. Skylights. Solar. And what needs to get covered underneath. Il take it if changing the colour. Your price was for inside doors and cab frame also. And are you getting bumpers and surrounds done the same colour. As that's a different primer that needs to be used. Trev in Ireland might have a spray painter for you. Gerry

Have you considered painting it yourself or you could go on YouTube and look at Beyond the van they spray vans.
Theres also abother paint used is called Raptor which some van conversion YouTube people use.
Raptor by Upol is very good stuff and very hardy if you want a bit of a rugged look.

Word of warning though. It contains Isocyanates so if you do use it, you MUST take the right precautions or it WILL do your lungs in!

Reactions: Lee
A 'proper' wrap relies on a decent base. It is not really an alternative to fixing a poor surface. vinyl 'decaling' to create your own designs (like that flower power example) is an option.

FWIW, If I paid the professional signwriter who did my Daktari Themed Campervan it would have cost not far off £1,000 for the custom created sheets and the application (took him all day and came up from Manchester to Scotland to do it).

And people have questioned why Murky is taking so long to paint. I refuse to waste paint on a bad body. It’s been suggested that I should brush or roller paint it. First of all the panels still need a good surface finish. Secondly although some people can do it well, it’s harder to correct a bad brush or roller job. Whilst Murky was still a Coach it had a one coat wonder paint job. All of that has to be removed before repainting.

When we had our other van we priced up both and the wrap would have been fractionally cheaper but there was much work to do as spraying due to the poor finish done by a previous owner. They had painted it by hand with a roller and at least the whole van was done. It was an 8.5 metre Ducato and cost £2500 for the respray

Reactions: RCW
When we had our other van we priced up both and the wrap would have been fractionally cheaper but there was much work to do as spraying due to the poor finish done by a previous owner. They had painted it by hand with a roller and at least the whole van was done. It was an 8.5 metre Ducato and cost £2500 for the respray
That was a bargain, no very cheap .

Only a half job masking up, but as its old thats ok,use industral poly two pack as there is little or no rubbing back after the job, jutan clark or sigmathane is good, use a gravity gun with a 2mm nozel and 5/10 thinners, do fecken rightly. (y)

Every van will be different in price as some need filling and work done to it. Can I ask what price you got in France that you are considering going to ireland. There will be far more masking and taping up. Windows. Vents. Skylights. Solar. And what needs to get covered underneath. Il take it if changing the colour. Your price was for inside doors and cab frame also. And are you getting bumpers and surrounds done the same colour. As that's a different primer that needs to be used. Trev in Ireland might have a spray painter for you. Gerry
Hey Gerry, in Lorient, France they wanted close to €10,000. The cabin door alone (outside) was quoted at €1000. She’s a older van but the engine is bulletproof, great interior and space, just the exterior paint that lets it down.

Last edited:
That sounds like, I don't want the work quote and definitely to much money.
You are right to look at coming back to the UK at least the negotiating will be simpler.
It occurred to me that you could call AW marine and have a chat with them, they maybe could either quote or pass you on to a painter.
AW marine are in Canvey Island so the travel from France is reasonable.

Reactions: RCW

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back