Future value of your motorhome

MOJO

Free Member

Anyone put any thought in to the future value of their diesel motorhome as the day approaches to have all electric on to the roads.
If we speculate that as leisure vehicles they may have a shelf life of 15 years to the government's target of 2035 then there must come a time when prospective purchasers of your van will place a value based on its usable time left.
Most of us have probably been happy with the low depreciation in times passed but presumably that will not continue. The question is when and how fast the values would fall considering they may all become static caravans from 2035.
When new electric motorhomes come to market would people not be willing to pay a premium to future proof their investment with a marked fall in diesel sales. Perhaps that's when values start to fall faster than usuall?
Many will have to consider if and when they change their method of leisure travel such as caravan and electric car if they want some financial return on their van.
We are thinking to keep our present van untill forced to make it a static and not plow any more money in to further purchases. For us this means our second hand purchase in 2017 for will depreciate to £00.000 over those 18 years to 2035 at a rate of £5,000 per year which equates to £100.00 per week.
It's not all doom and gloom as we will use it extensively over those years for many adventures and enjoy the memories and all travel and leisure activities come with a cost.
Is there a different outcome for our trusty diesel motorhomes?

It’s only new vehicles that will have to be electric. There is nothing to stop you using a diesel powered Motorhome as long as diesel is still available. There is still a long time for the government to realise that the electric infrastructure will not be available in time so I can see petrol and diesel being around for many more years after that.

The prices are super high now,many have appreciated, so anyone worried, sell sell sell! But then what would you buy??

Just enjoy what you have...as mentioned existing Moho's will be allowed beyond the 2035 cut off for new vehicles. Not sure what the world will be like in 15 years time though !! Just hope a vaccine materializes soon so we can all have a good blast for a few more years before the internal combustion engine is "hounded off the planet" LOL 😂 Maja

The Government won't really want to stop Diesel or Petrol sales as it raises a lot of revenue from the sale of it.
I expect electric car top ups will be taxed in the future to replace this lost revenue!

Thanks everyone for a interesting read this morning on your reply posts from the various forums on which I posted the debate opening question. After working through the opinions on me personally for bringing up the subject there are some with helpfull and interesting viewpoints on the future for motorhomes. Due to those I have learned that the 2035 date is just for the sale of new vehicles not the banning of them. Along with this there will be many options to update the power unit therefore securing the future for our mode of travel and keeping the sale of new vans ongoing.
Happy travels.

I’ve decided not to worry about what will happen in 2035 as I may be dead.
I’ll be 87. I’ll worry about it nearer the time. I would have run out of money long before then. 🤨

Electricity is a very inefficient way of producing energy for all.
It is probably the most convenient.
And without it I could not post this.
In the near future "Fossil fuels" will continue no doubt with the support of OPEC.
Renewable and other "green energy" is great.
But sources such as "Palm Oil" and Jatopha have significant ecological issues.
Palm oil is a big "badboy" in Asia
I looked to invest in a jatopha plantation in Africa.
Again the local ecological effects put me off.
In both cases the overall change in the land usage is detrimental to the "locals"
One of the disadvantages being land use for food crops is "Re-assigned"
Wind farms and the use of land for solar farms (rather than crops) is not without consequences.

I also believe that mining items for Lithium is not without some very negative effects

Yours Truly
Fraser from Dad's Army (we are doomed !)

It is not as bad as that but some of the ideas need to be "Thought Through"

We will just continue to enjoy our diesel motorhome in the mean-time.

PS for the next few years Covid-19 is the biggest/bigger problem !!!
And I will not refer to the "B Word"..Oh bugger I've mentioned it.

• Funny
Reactions: Rec
We will just continue to enjoy our diesel motorhome in the mean-time.

PS for the next few years Covid-19 is the biggest/bigger problem !!!
And I will not refer to the "B Word"..Oh bugger I've mentioned it.
I am planning to go out for Brunch tomorrow....that was what you meant?

If they stop making them in the thirties, then there will soon be a shortage. So they might appreciate in value even more. Who knows? Plus I will be in my eighties.

I’m amazed at how straightforward they make it look to put in an electric motor . Batteries weight abs power capacity seems to be the bigger issue. They will also become cheaper in time so I think Motorhomes will still be popular!!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back