Garage Storage Organisation project/ideas

paulhelenwilko

hymer t674 5.jpg

Considering how to organise the storage in the garage. I have a Spare wheel and electric bike to accomodate, as well as the usual table, chairs, hook up, hose and general motorhome paraphenalia. I would like easy/quick access to the bike.

The garage has a rail each side for tie downs. There is a locker door on the LHS for access to the truma and at the far left access to the Gaslow bottles.
I am reluctant to drill holes in the rear panel and only if neccessary in the woodwork to the left. The previous owner has glued pieces of soft wood to the inside of the doors and to the back wall, they look horrible but would probably look worse if I tried to remove them.
On the rear wall there are 4 vertical aluminum supports for the bed.

Lets start with the wheel, as this is the heaviest item, if it is going in the garage it is best mounted vertical, probably central and forward near the axle. Anyone know of any spare wheel holders that can be used in the Garage ? The other possibility is to mount underneath, the chasis is a Ducato Maxi anyone got experience of mounting the wheeel underneath ?

The bike takes the full height of the garage but is quiet narrow with folding pedals and handle bars that twist. I was thinking of modifying an old cycle roof rack to hold the bike in place and position it towards the back wall.

Then I'm thinking of creating some kind of racking to take table chairs etc and all the other paraphanailia. Anyone got any suggestions for lightweight racking ? Fiamma do some but it seems expensive.

Any ideas suggestions welcome.

Hi Paul ,here’s a snap of my garage ,spare in middle which has screwed rod with a flat plate through the centre to secure with the wheel wedge when jacking up
rear wall has pockets to hold items
the wide door at the drivers side has aluminium pockets which if you blow up you will get a better idea ,many who hav seen it say great idea

Attachments

• FBF6FC6C-D7AD-4C1C-AD0B-9A2774166517.png
    FBF6FC6C-D7AD-4C1C-AD0B-9A2774166517.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
Spare is screwed to rear wall, resting on step. The garage is so full, very little moves when packed. Bungee cords hold bikes and twin tub in place. Use a couple of plastic boxes for smaller items. Nuisance as have to empty everything to get bikes and doggyride trailer out.
The only tidy garages I’ve seen are virtually empty. Did meet a chap with an Arto - the garage was huge. He kept his ice making machine in there!

Here’s mine located under the rear floor. We adapted a Sprinter spare wheel carrier to allow it to work under my Ducato based Burstner. 65388A54-6928-4FCB-8BA3-EBF26C1782C7.jpegAA51BB1B-B4EC-4325-815A-81C4C107EED8.jpeg282E71CE-2DD7-4070-9B3A-2C41DBA2FD25.jpeg17016296-1BF3-4FD3-A475-DD7E8EA0AADB.jpeg

Looks good Simon. I must admit my preference is to secure the wheel underneath. Once there I can forget it. Has this reduced the clearance Simon ?

Paul

Sorry can’t send pictures as I store away from home . I don’t have a spare to think about but would want to hang under if I did. My bike does go on a bike rack in the garage, but find it takes more space on a rack, actually I’m thinking of taking rack out and using bungies . For all the ‘stuff’ :) I have a series of stacking boxes with lids from B&Q which always stay put. Without these the garage would have a lot of wasted area in the top half and be very messy. Our little gas bbq even fits in one so all clean and tidy. I also have to carry a wheelchair as well usual tables and chairs so everything pretty much keeps itself held in place.

Here’s mine located under the rear floor. We adapted a Sprinter spare wheel carrier to allow it to work under my Ducato based Burstner.

That is a truly brilliant installation Simon.

What scares the living daylights out of me is that the vast majority of garages in motorhomes are not safe and secure and by that I mean, they are not crash tested to assess the amount of resistance to load forward movement in a head on collision.

For instance the scooter installation of Gareth looks to be more than somewhat lacking in engineered security when considering a head on collision.

The worst I ever saw was where someone had a truly massive heavyweight 1200cc motorbike stored in their rear garage held in place with a few bungees and a ratchet strap that was connected to a large spreader plate that was itself attached to the rear wall of his van!

Looks good Simon. I must admit my preference is to secure the wheel underneath. Once there I can forget it. Has this reduced the clearance Simon ?

Paul

it is barely noticeable the slight decrease - if I ever got that low I’d be very worried about the rear skirt. There is a skid on the carrier that would touch down first. I’ve also got air suspenders on the back and so my arse end never sags 🤐

‘’here’s a bit of a dark picture side on showing no loss of clearance. FD35FD6D-F8B0-4A88-A0C1-FB2EFB05DA95.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back