Garmin 56 Dash Cam, What card to use??????

TrevandJenny

I now have a new Garmin 56 Dash Cam, Perfect, What micro SD card to use is a minefield, It seems all the reviews have a commission benefit to the reviewer!!! Biased or what!!!
Trying to be open minded about it, Samsung 64 Pro seems to be a favourite, before I make another online purchase can any member advise on this regarding, recording quality, time, speed, of what they use in there dash cams.
This will hopefully give me a clearer idea of what others use that could influence my purchase.
Happy New Year to you all.
Jen & Trev

Happy New Year Jen and Trev!

I've just checked the specs for your camera and it can take up to a whopping 512Gb! Most dashcam's maximums are much lower than that and I've found 32Gb or 64Gb to be more than enough unless you're using it as a travelogue, so you could save £££s by not going for the maximum. Most of the cards you can buy these days should cope perfectly well with dash cam use. SDXC is about the size of storage... I think it's SDHC up to 32Gb and SDXC above that.

Your camera needs a Class 10 or higher, which is about speed. Most cards go way faster than the minimum requirement for Class 10, so I'd just look for something rated at around 100mbs. Unless you're recording in fabulous 4K HD, you won't notice any difference.

I always get mine from www.mymemory.co.uk but Amazon sometimes have a bargain. I've never been overly picky about brand to be honest - they've all been pretty reliable in my experience - but Sandisk and Integral are also respected brands and MyMemory have their own brand too.

Happy shopping!

I use a Samsung Evo Micro SDHC UHS 1 Class 10 card in my Garmin Nuvicam. Never had any problems with it.

A guy I used to correspond with regularly (until I left the forum) knew his stuff, and based on his advice I bought a Class 10 SanDisk Elite Ultra Performance microSDHC UHS-1 Card. It included an adapter for larger slots and works just fine in my TomTom.

Happy New Year Jen and Trev!

I've just checked the specs for your camera and it can take up to a whopping 512Gb! Most dashcam's maximums are much lower than that and I've found 32Gb or 64Gb to be more than enough unless you're using it as a travelogue, so you could save £££s by not going for the maximum. Most of the cards you can buy these days should cope perfectly well with dash cam use. SDXC is about the size of storage... I think it's SDHC up to 32Gb and SDXC above that.

Your camera needs a Class 10 or higher, which is about speed. Most cards go way faster than the minimum requirement for Class 10, so I'd just look for something rated at around 100mbs. Unless you're recording in fabulous 4K HD, you won't notice any difference.

I always get mine from www.mymemory.co.uk but Amazon sometimes have a bargain. I've never been overly picky about brand to be honest - they've all been pretty reliable in my experience - but Sandisk and Integral are also respected brands and MyMemory have their own brand too.

Happy shopping!
Thank you Minisorella

I have taken your advice ref the speed and looked at mymemory, however BT seems to cut a better deal on the 32Gb 100mbs card.
Your info highlights the difference between SDHC & SDHX this I did not know. Thanks.

regards

Trev

A guy I used to correspond with regularly (until I left the forum) knew his stuff, and based on his advice I bought a Class 10 SanDisk Elite Ultra Performance microSDHC UHS-1 Card. It included an adapter for larger slots and works just fine in my TomTom.
I understand now class 10 is the standard, with the high performence cards a must.

Now ordered from BT, Samsung a 32gb Pro for £10.76 only 99p postage, a bargain.
Many thanks

Well done you... That's a good price. I seem to remember that mine was nearer £20.00

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back