gas.. at risk of frustrating people I have another question

Tweedy

Truthfully one of THE best things I ever did to our moho...
Was to ditch the ludicrously expensive to refill Calor 6kg bottles and replace them with 2 gaslow bottles and external filler kit....
I can fill both bottles at less than 60p a litre....

I managed to pick up 2 6kg gaslow bottles for less than £100 (still plenty of test on them) and filling kit etc for less than £60.

Exactly what I use, I bought two second hand ones and had them fitted and certified by a professional Motorhome repair company, best thing I did
plus they are fitted mid vehicle distributing the weigh, I buy gas at 60p a litr, of course it all depends on what sort of camping you do, mine is 50/50 wild camping and EH sites and never run out yet. Hope that helps.

Codge

I had dismissed getting a gas tank fitted to our van for costs.
You are familiar with my post where I said were not looking to fit an under slung tank but were looking to install refillable canisters as sick of paying £27.75 to exchange 6k c lightweight canisters. The place that fitted our solar panels suggested getting a fixed tank that is in the shape of spare tire and fits in space where spare tire lives. The spare tire would move to the roof. I wasnt wasting peoples time and I know at the start of my post I said we were not looking for an under slung tank ....

Thiswas based on ideas of expense. We are getting quoted for a tank to fit in spare wheel space ... Im not asking which is best. Im asking pros and cons of you all on here
If expense is an issue, I found this was the most cost effective refillable option if your gas locker is large enough.

Markd

These are more expensive than steel bottles you don't have to lug about or discconnect before refilling.
Are they any cheaper than Alugas?

WestEndSaint

My McLois Glen had a locker for a 6 kg fitted cylinder & room for a 6 kg spare.
I changed this to a 11 kg Refillable Gas-It cylinder & still had room for a Calor 6 kg as spare. ( A tight squeeze to get 6 kg through door with larger 11 kg fitted, but was possible. )
Also had room for a change over valve.
So generally C/O valve is served by 11 kg Gas-It, but when it gets low auto switches to 6 kg Calor.
This works well for us as we only generally go away for 5 days in cold weather.
11 kg Gas-It can be topped up at any time ( even if it only requires 2 kg. )
If we know it is going to be exceptionally cold while we are away, we can take a second 6 kg Calor bottle as a spare.
Once we have started use of 6 kg Calor, we generally finish it off & replace with a full one.
Also fitted an internal gauge so 11 kg Gas-It contents can be checked from inside van. ( Not convinced it is particularly accurate though. )

Trotter

This pretty much mirrors my setup, with the exception of the changeover valve. If the gas goes out, I have to go out and turn the other bottle tap on. Cursing myself all of the time, for letting the gas get that low. The last time I did this, I found the spare bottle to be empty as well 🤬. Not a lot of use carrying an empty spare. Luckily, a friend was going shopping, and I scrounged a lift. Spending 25 odd drinking vouchers on a replacement.

Markd

My arrangement too and I very rarely get to the reserve which involves a pigtail swap.
I suppose I would invest in a dual regulator and another pigtail if regulator packed up.
But whilst I can get top ups as I go there's not much point.
A little route planning with Filllpg is part of the attraction.
Have you considered Mopeka gauge?

Last edited:

Wildman

When all is said and done a fixed tank saves pounds in the long run we can go a month or three without refilling. 6kg bottles are a ripoff. Look around for a secondhand tank lots out there off commercial trucks if you have the space to fit one.

in h

I'm puzzled by why it wasn't possible to get a bigger underslung tank. They are readily available up to 120 litres, though not many vans have enough space for that size.
A 70 litre one (available in long and thin or short and fat shapes) is the equivalent of 28KG of bottles and will probably be enough for most people.
Another possibility is to fit two interconnected smaller tanks. A lot of the costs are in the fittings, so it would be substantially cheaper than double the cost of just one.

Markd

How much?
That’s an incredulous, How much? I’ve already looked up the price. ‘Spose it’s for the man who has everything 😚
Yes - apparently they are cheaper buying direct from USA.
I don't have one as I top up pretty well every time I get diesel at a combined outlet and I can see the little gauge pm the Gaslow easy enough when I open the locker - which is where we store hoses etc.
But if your back up is Calor then not dipping into it is a 2 bottle pay back on the sensor.

Anyway with our vans, better halves and pets don't we have everything 😀

Trotter

Yes - apparently they are cheaper buying direct from USA.
I don't have one as I top up pretty well every time I get diesel at a combined outlet and I can see the little gauge pm the Gaslow easy enough when I open the locker - which is where we store hoses etc.
But if your back up is Calor then not dipping into it is a 2 bottle pay back on the sensor.

Anyway with our vans, better halves and pets don't we have everything 😀
I know I’m as guilty as anyone at spending on the van. It infuriates Nik. But not until the credit card bill arrives. Too late then init 😜

Markd

I did get a bit of flack about the air assist for Alko rear and HD springs at the front when the bill came in😀
But we're legal now - not that we've ever been stopped😀

Vanterrier

Sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission ;)
Brave men
K ;)

roadroamer

we have a 115 which has a small gas locker witch only holds 2 x 6kg bottles we have converted to gaslow but wish we had fitted alugas as it's much lighter

Markd

Not sure that 6kg is available in aluminium but it is possible that you could get 11kg cylinder in if you remove the shroud.
If weight us critical you'd get nearly as much gas with 10kg weight saving.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:170)

GreggBear, Vanterrier, wildebus, mr brown, Forresbroons, Pugwash69, saxonborg, TeamRienza, Reiverlad, LANDS43, linkshouse, Topmast, andyjanet, Edina, dickydo, FERENZA, St3v3, Trotter, eurajohn, debs, motoroamer, Greengrass, Exwindsurfer, Molly 3, jagmanx, Millie Master, Okta, silverweed, Biggarmac, tripper, yorkslass, witzend, PeteS, Markd, TJBi, countrycruisers, scoobydiver, tapfitter, mistericeman, HurricaneSmith, Alf, Winks, Froodie, RoadTrek Boy, Bouydog, helmit, kevlakes, alwaysared, Mark135, Steveandjulie, cowanhouse, Campervanannie, nabsim, Caz, The laird, Tezza33, Minisorella, Sharon Crompton, Clunegapyears, RV2MAX, Barge1914, Starkicker, Alan1951, Dulvil, EJB, Tribute11, Mikael63, ironman, Ellendale, JohnsCrossMotorhomes, Essexboi, Hellfire, H Traveller, snapster, Ginfearsdad, bampi, jiwawa, MikeK, 11ALB, Boatman7973, Forrory, Nitkn, royh28, Brian the Snail, 2cv, Paulajc77, Raymondo, Jonnyjan, Doonadog, Wilfee, On a journey, KenT, Digger Dog, Yorkscol, kneespots, Nil, Lee, Tommyg, Pudsey Bear, grath, Wimbrill, Trompete, bartman, Kontiki, gladysroam, SueS, LifeBeyondBricks, Johndavies, Jack Alfie, Robina, Trevor Hobden, ScoTTyBEEE, findogask, saxonrosie, EllieL, driver12, Lord Lucan, isnbill, mossystone, Veggiechris, IscubaToo, subablu, Funman, Forcesixwindy, terry4156, abmnw, charlie356, coffeenut, bjh, Trublu33, henrym, GarethHowell, VWann, ian reed, traveller221, David0412, cornish hymer, arkwright01, Habilis - abilis, sandya, Tweedy, runnach, Nightwalker, Allenh, JFD, Salvage1, Nicnaen, mikethom, Codge, Grim the Viking, TheLizard, Nicknack, WestEndSaint, mervyncp, RichardA, Diver1swife, CliveW, Heyfield, scouter, in h, Fazerloz, SteveJ, Lefty, nickvanbitz, paulrichardson, old cronies, Thesmiths4, davidjlambert, xgx, Beatrix,