Genoa - Palermo Ferry

GMJ

Hi folks

Has anyone used this?

If so could you please comment on your experience?

I am re-looking at the trip we postponed from this year down to Sicily and thinking that at least one way, we could use a ferry...provided I can get Mrs GMJ onto it that is (she is not a fan)!!

We want to drive one way as we want to visit Pisa, Siena and Pompei but a one way ferry could take a great deal of miles out of the trip.

Thanks in advance

Graham

A couple of years ago we were booked with GNV ferries from Genoa to Palermo. In the end we decided the extra mileage to Civitavecchia was worth it for a couple of reasons. It gives you the option to sail to Termini Imeresi instead, knocks about 6 hours off the ferry and you get to arrive in the morning rather than late night in Palermo. There’s also the advantage of missing negotiating Genoa port especially with the bridge collapse. Obviously you’d need to check that the ferry timings havent changed, either way it’s an overnight crossing. GNV boats are ok, comfortable enough and Termini Imeresi is a doddle to get in and out of, plus there are a couple of campsites within very easy reach if you want one. If you decide to go via Civitavecchia, pm me, there are no signs or explanations as to where to go when you get to the port 😂

Reactions: GMJ
Thanks Val (or Dave)

That's really useful - I'll do some research on what you say and I'll give you a shout as and when (y)

Graham

Neither of us like ferries..So we drove both ways..
Yes a long way but for us all pert of the trip.
We took 3 months from Calais via France and back to Calais via Austria and Germany
More details if you want.

Hi folks

Has anyone used this?

If so could you please comment on your experience?

I am re-looking at the trip we postponed from this year down to Sicily and thinking that at least one way, we could use a ferry...provided I can get Mrs GMJ onto it that is (she is not a fan)!!

We want to drive one way as we want to visit Pisa, Siena and Pompei but a one way ferry could take a great deal of miles out of the trip.

Thanks in advance

Graham

We came back Palermo Genoa many years ago, I think it was a 20 hr night time crossing, we didn’t have a cabin, we had aircraft stile seats, at that time the cost was £200.well worth it.

Neither of us like ferries..So we drove both ways..
Yes a long way but for us all pert of the trip.
We took 3 months from Calais via France and back to Calais via Austria and Germany
More details if you want.

Yes, more details would be great:

How many days did it take you to drive the 'leg' of Italy? Do you have campsite recommendations? etc etc

Happy to use PM/email if its easier for you

Thanks

Graham

We came back Palermo Genoa many years ago, I think it was a 20 hr night time crossing, we didn’t have a cabin, we had aircraft stile seats, at that time the cost was £200.well worth it.

Did you just turn up or book the voyage before leaving the UK? What time of year was it?

Also how was the experience at the Ports?

Thanks

Graham

Yes, more details would be great:

How many days did it take you to drive the 'leg' of Italy? Do you have campsite recommendations? etc etc

Happy to use PM/email if its easier for you

Thanks

Graham
Route map
1593418405260.png

More details

This is all great info - thanks.

Do you have any names of the campsites you stayed at? Ones that you would recommend anyway?

Our MoHo is 8.7m long so any advice on whether you feel we would fit, would also be appreciated.

Thanks again

Graham

Last edited:
We did the return journey, well nearly! We did Palermo to Livorno. It's a 20 hour trip. You can/could stay in your van on the semi-open car deck. Around 7-8 vans also did it. You get hooked up to the ships' electric, so the fridge is fine, and we used a 12V slow cooker to make supper! You also have access to the rest of the ship for bars, toilets and shop. They left Palermo at about 20.00 so we had fantastic evening views of Stromboli erupting. A really good nights kip, then a brilliant Mediterranean cruise with our very own private cabin with all the facilities! We arrived in Livorno rested and ready to find the nearby aire in daylight. I'd only drive one way to Sicily, or drive back. The journey was one of the most stressful drives I've ever had. The roads are diabolical, South of Naples, and the driving of the Italians even worse! There was a German van owner on the cruise. He did the journey both ways, from and back to Genoa, he said he'd never drive on an Italian road that far without being in a tank! Which I thought, and so did he, was quite witty for a German! ;):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back