Germany emission zones

sydnsue

Does anyone know the best place to get the zone stickers for Germany and other EU countries? I was about to purchase online at a cost of 44 euros, but then found another site at 17 euros. Kept looking and found another at 13 euros. Clearly each organisation can charge whatever they like.

UPDATE - Just paid 6 euros direct to a German site. Still need to buy zone stickers for other countries though.

Reactions: Rec
Does anyone know the best place to get the zone stickers for Germany and other EU countries? I was about to purchase online at a cost of 44 euros, but then found another site at 17 euros. Kept looking and found another at 13 euros. Clearly each organisation can charge whatever they like.
The silly money prices are those charged by sites that APPEAR to be official , but merely act as 'middle men' and charge a chunky admin fee for what you can do direct yourself for the 13€

Steve

Whilst checking for the German site, you simultaneously obviously found the proper government approved site. €6 is about what I paid a few years back. Very efficient and should have the sticker with you in a matter of days.

The French sticker is about €5 on their government site. Some have trouble reducing the size of the photo/scan of the relevant V5 page, but once accepted you should get an email quite quickly which can be used until the sticker turns up, again quite quickly.

I have not applied for anything from other countries, but, it is important to go to the proper government sites to apply to avoid 3rd party charges.

Davy

We have the French and German ones and as said, we also got them from the official sites for a handful of € each. Provided you don't change your windscreen they are good for the life of the MH as well.

I thought these stickers were good for life, but as my French one is now barely legible, I'm not so sure. I've got the paperwork, so perhaps that'll keep me legal. 🤔

Forget the fancy sites and there silly money.
First time I crossed over the border into Germany I called at a main Ford agents, first garage I came to, presented my v5 and they made my sticker, passed over my 5 euros which was the normal charge, they gave me my money back and told me to have a safe and happy holiday, put the money in the charity box and came out a happy traveller.👍🙂🙂
If you have any problems google Umwelt and you will find a registered garage near where you are parked.
Any other countries use their official sites
The fancy sites will only rip you off 👎👎

Parked next to a German Burstner last night, and the driver speaks very good English! He allowed me to photo his German Emissions Certificate (umweltplaket) but was not too sure of the process, because his Dealer supplied the Van with the Certificate attached! He said the 5€ price is for the Certificate direct from the Local Government offices, but he thinks that large petrol stations such as Jet (one at the Border?) issue them for a small surcharge. He thought Jet and local Car Garages charged 5€ to 8€ at their

Steve

Most German vehicle main dealerships will sell you one and you can also get them at Dekra and TUV outlets, the German equivalent of our MOT stations. You just need to produce your V5 and a few euros, used to be €5, might have gone up a bit.

Pete

Also...

You can now only purchase the Green sticker (diesel vehicles Euro 3 registered 2006 onwards).

There are no cities that allow a red sticker (diesel vehicles Euro 1 registered 1997 - 2000) anymore and the only yellow sticker area (diesel vehs Euro 2 registered 2001 - 2005) left is the Bavarian town of Neu-Ulm which is now listed as a Green area but will for now accept vehicles with a yellow sticker.

Pete

In Germany you can get the Umweltplakett cheaply at any DEKRA garage. There are hundreds of these around Germany, they are the official (equivalent of MOT) testing places

Also...

You can now only purchase the Green sticker (diesel vehicles Euro 3 registered 2006 onwards).

There are no cities that allow a red sticker (diesel vehicles Euro 1 registered 1997 - 2000) anymore and the only yellow sticker area (diesel vehs Euro 2 registered 2001 - 2005) left is the Bavarian town of Neu-Ulm which is now listed as a Green area but will for now accept vehicles with a yellow sticker.

Pete
My 1999 reg was made in late 1998 and is Euro 2. Wonder what I'd get?

Not that I generally drive into the centre of cities in any case.

You don't qualify for a green sticker so afaik you won't get one at all unfortunately.

I shouldn't worry too much, I heard somewhere that the Polizei have been tasked to check the stickers and probably have far better things to do.
I've yet to hear of any Brits being fined for not having one.

Pete

I have the green umwelt sticker for my 1994 hymer I sent for it from Berlin for a few euro about 7 or 8 years ago, I don't know how I was granted the green I did send all the relevant info that's what I received also they last for the lifetime of the van lve never had a problem going into cities I wonder if its changed as its getting on for 4 years since we last went

Screenshot_20220705_113513_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

AFAIK its always been 2006 or newer and euro3 for a green plackette, nothings changed apart from yellow and red stickers no longer being available.
Dunno how you managed that with the age of your vehicle. Up to you if you want to risk it in future. ;)

Pete

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back