Getting on the roof......

• Thread starter Deleted member 2880
  • Start date

Deleted member 2880

Helpful suggestions please to let me clean the roof of an Autotrail when you're not supposed to climb on it?

I'm using a ladder against the roof edge at the moment but it's pretty uncomfortable in use as I'm doubled over the top rung. I guess what I need is some kind of platform, but internet searches don't reveal much that's useful and useable for use at the house.

Getting the roof cleaned after parking by some trees is such a common need for us lot that I'm sure there are folks out there with great suggestions??

Totally agree Silverweed and we do that already but looking for a better / safer way than a ladder, so hoping that someone amongst our community has already found a useable and cost-effective platform of some sort.

Maybe there is the domestic equivalent of scaffolding out there, or maybe a sufficiently tall 'n' shaped platform???

We have a 2015 Apache 634 I contacted Autotrail about getting on the roof, there reply was fine just do not put any weight on the curved edges

Brilliant. Thanks to all - I knew you would come up trumps (can we still use that expression any more?).

I particularly liked the HomeMaster scaffold and also the idea of using a telescopic ladder with cladding. Maybe a bit doubtful on the stability of that scaffold but I see they sell 'outriggers' if you have another £100 to splash.

Then again, who knew that Autotrail would endorse a spot of roof clambering - but the idea of a plank or a bit of plywood on the roof to spread the stress was another great idea.

Thanks all!

Have you a reasonable sense of balance?
Two ladders one each side of the van opposite each other.
Extend each ladder at least a couple of rungs above roof.
Scaffold board spanning between rungs clear of rooflights
and the like. May need to guy tie the ladders down.

Then get someone else to clean the roof!

Wrap a towel around the ladder where it touches the van roof to insulate the pressure of the ladder
I use an old pair of thick walking socks and a pair of slippers on the top of the ladder legs. Never damaged or marked my motorhomes. I then have one of them extending brush wotsits to clean the roof.

There's a 'truck stop' near Bromsgrove with purpose made stair/platform thingy and long brushes so maybe one near you

Buy a good quality extending ladder, one with an extended base like the one in the link.

I cut a piece of old carpet into a 3' x 2' piece and cut two slots to slip over the top of the ladder. The carpet hangs down the inside of the ladder and protects the van paintwork. My driveway is on a slight slope but I have never had any worries that the ladder will slip while I clean the roof with an extending brush.

There was a thread here or on WC about THIS does the job well

Good idea, buy a bottle then drive to the nearest Wash Centre and ask
the smallest lightest geezer there, to pole vault up and get scrubbing.

There was a thread here or on WC about THIS does the job well
Wet and Forget is amazing... my van roof is still sparkling months and months later plus my patio has never, ever been so clean. Every time it rains, it seems to get brighter. Bloomin' magic! (y)

I have the same problem getting to the roof though, especially as my drive slopes. A couple of years back, my neighbour confiscated my only means of reaching the roof because he said he didn't want a heart attack at his age :ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back