Gibraltar

GMJ

Hi

As part of our trip to Spain next January we are planning on visiting Gibraltar, having never been before.

Could anyone who has actually been there/nearby provide any info on local campsites? We would need to get a bus to the rock rather than take our MH in.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif

There is parking for motorhomes about ten minutes walk onto Gibraltar not sure the cost but it is easy to find :)

Thanks

I see that there are 2 aires nearby which is an option but we are after a campsite if we can...

ta

Graham
smile.gif

My friend when he comes over always go's to Camping Sureuropa from there you can get a bus or its about or 15 min nice wake to Gib

Reactions: GMJ
Thanks

Good info, ta.

I'd spotted that one but its nice to know peeps use it...

Graham
smile.gif

We stayed at the Marina just before the border I think it was 12 E per night there is water and a dump point out on the boat arm. Not far from the border but I took the honda 125 and drove around the Rock with that. I disappeared into the crowd of other bikes and scooters and the authorities on both side take no notice of a little bike, as the seems to be thousands of them.

We were there in January we stayed at the marina 12 euro per night and just a short walk into gib, we did go into Gibraltar with the motorhome but only to go to Morrison’s to stock up with supplies, and fill with cheap diesel.

A place id love to live,if you look at picy just to left on rd in on spanish side at airport there is waste ground where vans park up,have a good trip and go to the caves.View attachment 46187
:) When I lived there the waste ground was the main place where cars and vans were getting broken into but that was a few years ago I would not park there.

We stayed on the air at the marina safe with little restuant on site and a dump for your black waste,+laundret to do your washing ,and toilets and water ,walk through the border jump on the bus over the runway and into the square where you will find good restaurants and the entrance to the Main Street ,but don't forget the little shops on the side streets also then you can make your mind up where you go from there .

We stayed overnight on the car park of the football ground overnight. No facilities.
Then we drove onto the island upto Europa Point, parked for free and caught the bus around the island. The queue for vehicles took agesssssss though.

Be sure to take plenty British money, those pesky Gibraltans ripped us off royally when we tried to pay for a couple of drinks with Euros,the Barbary macaques aren’t the only villains there ?

Thanks folks

It's looking like the Marina or the campsite up the coast - Camping Sureuropa - are favourites.

Either way we'll walk over to the rock...and take some Sterling with us too (Thanks for that tip John
thumbs.gif
)

Graham
smile.gif

Make sure you go to Morrison's supermarket. We bought lots of good booze at very competitive prices April 2019. Bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin. £11:00!
Not sure I'd want to live there, saw most of it in two days. Monkeys are just part of the tourist trap.

Hi Graham,
We stayed at the Futbol stadium for 3.5 euros and went to the Marina to dump and fill. If you are sharpish, you only pay a parking fee of around 1.5 euros. Beware the flashing lights offering free parking - you end up at a pay machine and can't reverse.
Buses pay in pounds Sterling and you can't use your bus card. You are only allowed one bottle of spirits each back into Spain with risk of vehicle being impounded. We made a visit to Morrisons and bought loads of Soberano Brandy and Gordons Gin unaware but luckily they redirected us at the Border as we were too big. Heaved a huge sigh of relief when we found out about the limits. Apparently they were impounding hire cars.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Alan

We stayed on the Marina and walked over. Being very honest with our duty free, we did have to walk over more than a few times. The supermarket on the right after the runway is sometimes even cheaper than Morrison's. We didn't want to risk a van search so didn't take it over but other people did with no problems that I know of. Fuel was much cheaper in Gib but we didn't risk it. There is very little parking space around the town as far as I could see.

Hi

As part of our trip to Spain next January we are planning on visiting Gibraltar, having never been before.

Could anyone who has actually been there/nearby provide any info on local campsites? We would need to get a bus to the rock rather than take our MH in.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif
You can park at the spanish side at the balonbedica football motorhome park for 4 euros

We stopped at the marina and cycled across the border each day. Very easy to get around on bikes. Make sure you wear a cycle helmet on the Spanish side as this is compulsory on the Spanish side but not Gibraltar. You may be stopped and fined by Spanish customs/police at the border crossing if you are not wearing one or certainly given a warning. You can pick helmets up at Decathlon for under €10.

You can use your UK bank card at certain cash points to draw out £££ notes free just like free cash points in the UK. You can also use your UK debit card to pay for stuff in sterling just like the UK without incurring any charges.

We spent 4 days there which for us was enough to do and see everything we wanted to do and see. Food and drink in bars and restaurants is expensive compared to Spain. Spirits are priced the same as wine so why do local residents buy wine? Food prices in Morrisons the same as the UK with all your UK favourites available. You have to pay the overseas prices for British newspapers though.

When chatting to locals they very definitely want to remain under British sovereignty even those who have origins that may be more Spanish in nature.

Last edited:
For those folks who stayed at the Marina next to Gibraltar...

Could you advise what time of year you went and if possible what day of the week? Was it busy when you were there?

We are looking to arrive on either a Saturday or Sunday around the 19/20th of January next year but I can change my plans if there is too much risk of it being full.

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back