Glowplug light will fail mot ?

Think I read somewhere that any malfunction dash warning light is a fail under latest MOT requirements .???

Is this true .Any experience of this .
No, Yes.
My glowplug light has been coming on for 3 years and has gone through 3 MOTs.
I've spent 4 months snowboarding in the Alps with this issue, only once had a a bit of a problem.
Garages, including Fiat Professional, reluctant to have a go at it as it can often end up with the cylinder head coming off. I've changed the relay and it wasn't that.
2008 2.3 Ducato.

So unless you are planning on spending multipls nights at 5000ft in temperatures below -20C don't worry about it; and if you are then take a can of easy start!

Be exceedingly careful using easy start if you are a bit heavy handed you can do serious damage. Not quite so bad on an old engine but modern engines are definitely not easy start friendly.

+1 to care with easy start.
If you do go down this route on modern engine go in down stream of Air Mass Meter or you risk 'polluting' it.
Most HDI or Common Rail engines have enough pressure to start regardless.
Until all the glow plugs have packed up the engine will start easily enough.
It's always a bit worrying when removing glow plugs - if they're seized it's easy to shear them and then you're in trouble.
Reaming out in-situ is then possible but not cheap.
My advice is to be very gentle when removing (maybe use a torque wrench) - if they don't move easily the leave them.
If properly sealed they should come straight out but blowby will allow crud to build up and seize the plug.

Last edited:
Won't fail an mot but the problem is when you get your vehicle started in the winter there may be an excess of smoke untill the engine has warmed up, if this is the case and you lets say have your vehicle right next door to the mot testing station and its frosty, engine cold, reek coming from exhaust until the engine has warmed sufficiently and the mot tester has seen the reek coming from said vehicle, then there may be a problem.

It depends on the fault my Sprinter had a Glow plug that's resistance had gone high at 15 ohms.
That was causing the glow plug light to stay on AND the Mil light

If the Mil light is on that is an MOT fail.

I replaced the faulty one a few days ago, it was nothing like as scary as some make it out to be, other than sods law, it had to be the one right at the back of the V6.

My fiesta had this happen it was fine until all of the plugs failed and it went into limp mode. It was not for starting except below 2 degrees C but was used in traffic to cut down the emissions in traffic. started just fine without them.

No, Yes.
My glowplug light has been coming on for 3 years and has gone through 3 MOTs.
I've spent 4 months snowboarding in the Alps with this issue, only once had a a bit of a problem.
Garages, including Fiat Professional, reluctant to have a go at it as it can often end up with the cylinder head coming off. I've changed the relay and it wasn't that.
2008 2.3 Ducato.

So unless you are planning on spending multipls nights at 5000ft in temperatures below -20C don't worry about it; and if you are then take a can of easy start!
Avoid easy start like the plague! Engines get addicted to it & won't start without it. Far better to rectify whatever problem is causing the starting trouble to begin with....

Avoid easy start like the plague! Engines get addicted to it & won't start without it. Far better to rectify whatever problem is causing the starting trouble to begin with....
Old wives talk,the engine is on its way out and thats why more and more is required,common on old boat inboard diesel engines,slow running can cause glassed bores and low compression,more easy start.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back