Google map routes export to Garmin

sydnsue

Does anyone know how to export a route calculated in Google Maps into a Garmin Camper? Google directions seem to be more reliable than Garmin's.

Does anyone know how to export a route calculated in Google Maps into a Garmin Camper? Google directions seem to be more reliable than Garmin's.
If you install the Garmin Smartphone Link app on your phone, and pair the phone with the satnav, linking via bluetooth, you should be able to do that.
Once you've plotted the route, hit the three little dots at the top right of the google maps screen and select "share directions". You should then find the Smartphone Link icon along with the other options at the bottom of the screen.
I should add that the above sequence is what happens on my android phone - I don't have any truck with iClones!

I use maps to gpx to convert Google routes to a gpx file which can then be uplosded to your Garmin.
Garmin calculates routes differently to Google so your satnav may still change the route depending on your navigation choices, ie. fastest, shirtest etc. but generally it will follow a gpx file (y)

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Hello all, not sure how to use this, tech is not my best subject. Have just got an Autostar A class (2 days ago ) from Camping Jaqueline in Plenee Jugon, Brittany. Brought it home and looking over it last night as you do.
It has an idmedia radio everything in French yet again not my best subject, can anybody advise how do i get navigation on this unit or change the language to English, talk about feeling silly.
Thanks

Hello all, not sure how to use this, tech is not my best subject. Have just got an Autostar A class (2 days ago ) from Camping Jaqueline in Plenee Jugon, Brittany. Brought it home and looking over it last night as you do.
It has an idmedia radio everything in French yet again not my best subject, can anybody advise how do i get navigation on this unit or change the language to English, talk about feeling silly.
Thanks
Is this the radio you've got? If so the language setting is on page 14

Regards,
Del

Attachments

• User-manual-for-idMEDIA-7-car-radio.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Thank you Bartman and Alwaysared. I am at Strawberry Fields right now but I will try your suggestions when I get back to my PC.

If you install the Garmin Smartphone Link app on your phone, and pair the phone with the satnav, linking via bluetooth, you should be able to do that.
Once you've plotted the route, hit the three little dots at the top right of the google maps screen and select "share directions". You should then find the Smartphone Link icon along with the other options at the bottom of the screen.
I should add that the above sequence is what happens on my android phone - I don't have any truck with iClones!
After I click SEND in Smartphone Link, what then? I have looked on the Garmin Camper but I cannot see the route. I thought it would appear in Route Planner.

I use maps to gpx to convert Google routes to a gpx file which can then be uplosded to your Garmin.
Garmin calculates routes differently to Google so your satnav may still change the route depending on your navigation choices, ie. fastest, shirtest etc. but generally it will follow a gpx file (y)

Regards,
Del
Hi Del, how do you upload to the satnav? I tried placing the created GPX into the GPX folder but then I couldn't find it as a route. I thought it would appear in Categories or Route Planner.

Hi Del, how do you upload to the satnav? I tried placing the created GPX into the GPX folder but then I couldn't find it as a route. I thought it would appear in Categories or Route Planner.
You will need to use POI Uploader on your laptop/PC you can download it from it here it's not been updated for ages but I've run it on Windows 7/10 &11 with no issues. Once it's installed connect your Garmin, open POI Uploader and choose save to Garmin device, then browse to your GPX file and it will upload it to the Garmin and it will then be in the trip planner section of your Garmin.
Out of interest and to make sure I'm giving you the correct info what model Garmin is it?

Regards,
Del

You will need to use POI Uploader on your laptop/PC you can download it from it here it's not been updated for ages but I've run it on Windows 7/10 &11 with no issues. Once it's installed connect your Garmin, open POI Uploader and choose save to Garmin device, then browse to your GPX file and it will upload it to the Garmin and it will then be in the trip planner section of your Garmin.
Out of interest and to make sure I'm giving you the correct info what model Garmin is it?

Regards,
Del
I have the latest 795. I had an older one which was great but I knackered it when trying to renew the battery.
I didn't think about using POI Uploader.

I have the latest 795. I had an older one which was great but I knackered it when trying to renew the battery.
I didn't think about using POI Uploader.
I think you need the Garmin Drive app on your phone then when you've planned your trip in Goole maps you can go on the share link and choose Garmin Drive then your route should be displayed on the satnav for you to follow.

Regards,
Del

I think you need the Garmin Drive app on your phone then when you've planned your trip in Goole maps you can go on the share link and choose Garmin Drive then your route should be displayed on the satnav for you to follow.

Regards,
Del
I have Garmin Drive but when I open it, it just has a box asking for my destination.

I have Garmin Drive but when I open it, it just has a box asking for my destination.
I don't use Drive but and thinking about it I'm not sure you can share a route from the laptop or PC :unsure: I would imagine you'd need to plan it on the same mobile phone as the Drive app is on, maybe you can send it to your phone from the laptop/PC and then share it? I use My Route App to plan the route then upload it to the Garmin, but it's not free if you want to use Google maps, TomTom maps or Here (Garmin) maps with OpenStreet maps being the only choice in the free edition.

Regards,
Del

I have found what could be a no go. Garmin state the device has a limit of 30 waypoints. When I looked at the GPX file from the Google Maps, it had around 100 or more. It seems Google save a route by listing all the coordinates of the route which could be hundreds. So it seems it is only possible to transfer a very short route from Google to Garmin.

I have found what could be a no go. Garmin state the device has a limit of 30 waypoints. When I looked at the GPX file from the Google Maps, it had around 100 or more. It seems Google save a route by listing all the coordinates of the route which could be hundreds. So it seems it is only possible to transfer a very short route from Google to Garmin.
I didn't realise that, I never have any problems in My Route App though when choosing Google Maps or when using Maps to GPX and POI Uploader to plan so like you've pointed out it's the Drive app that is restricting it not the satnav.

Regards.
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back