Greek wine recommendations please

Clunegapyears

Greek wine recommendations please

Will arrive in Greece tomorrow. I understand that Greek wine is not marvellous, but other than ouzo, we know nothing about it. Any recommendations on grapes, vineyards, types most welcome. Both red and white ... we are not big beer drinkers.

I tend to visit a restaurant and ask the waiter to recommend a name.

Ray.

all taste of vinegar to me but the wife cannot get enough of it

barry

I tend to choose by the grape variety. Italian and Spanish grapes do well in Greece. I am sure they have their own cultuvars too but I do not know them.
for white, I have found decent Sauvignon blancs in Athens.
I am sure you know that ouzo is not wine...

I have spent many months in Greece over the last 30 years

I have never had any head-banging experiences with wines there so often just order the carafe wine in a taverna,

If you want to go a bit more up-market/get rid of your Euros then wines from Nemea are good, also Paros wines, but you will not find all of them are available everywhere.

Where are you going in Greece? I may have some more tips.

Geoff

nicholsong;n9742 said:

I have never had any head-banging experiences with wines there so often just order the carafe wine in a taverna,

If you want to go a bit more up-market/get rid of your Euros then wines from Nemea are good, also Paros wines, but you will not find all of them are available everywhere.

Geoff

im pretty good on French and Italian grapes. Think we’lol have to keep tasting notes.
Igoumentisa tomorrow. Slowly heading down to the Pelop. in time for Christmas. Around Athens end Jan and February. Then at some point, when the weather better, we will head north towards Bulgaria. So any tips very welcome.

Ask what the local wine is and drink that. I generally find the whites are much better than the reds. On the odd occasion the wine has been better when taken with food and very cold and on some occasions when we have been given something rough, it’s been so rough the first glass tender to totally numb the pallet therefore making the second and third quote acceptable.

nicholsong;n9742 said:

Geoff

Thank you. Yes, been ordering carafe of regional reds in tavernas and it has been very drinkable.
Currently on second bottle of Nemea and under EUR3 ... first was dry and the second is medium ... seems the Greeks quite like sweet reds as this is the second time Ive inadvertently picked up sweet ones. They get drunk, so not wasted!

We are currently S of Metero at Pyli. Heading west to Arte and then down along the coast to the Peloponnese. Sometime Feb / March will head north in the vague direction of Bulgaria. So any more tips welcome.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back