Green Card issued

Clunegapyears

Just off the phone to the van insurance company; green card being issued. They were happy to give us one for EU countries as we are departing before the 29th of March. The implication being, that if we left after the 29th they would leave it to see if they actually need to issue one.
And the best bit was, free with caravan and motorhome club insurance.

I did also ask about issues with no deal and that if you have an accident abroad, the claim may have to be pursued in the local country. Was told, not to worry as my policy will run as it is to the expiry date. Can see premiums going up.

Minisorella

We're with AIB and the Green Card is on the back of the policy
Sue mine is too but I had a chat with AIB today and it might not be that simple from 29th March, depending on what happens of course. They're not able to issue new green cards that would be valid from 29th March in EU countries, in the event of us leaving without a deal. I told them I'd be travelling so close to that date that there wouldn't be time to sort anything out... he said to call them 2 weeks before I travel, by which time we might all have a lot more information. Currently they charge for green cards for non-EU countries, cost depending on where you're going and for how long... he did let slip later figures of £30 to £60. He also that, with all his years of experience in the business, he was confident that even with no deal, there would just have to be some kind of neighbourly reciprocal amnesty for several months at least for holidaymakers caught in the timing trap to get home legally... both for insurance purposes and the fact that our passports would no longer be valid! The alternative would be the ridiculous situation of thousands of holidaymakers needing to be housed or detained somewhere on the wrong side of the Channel. They'd want to be rid of us for sure, using some kind of amnesty period to allow everyone to get home.

I've given up worrying about it all... I'll just get myself as prepared as possible - with IDPs probably - and then get on with it. I can't see them making me spend the rest of my life in France or Holland but I can think of worse things at sea! :ROFLMAO:

moonshadow

Rally Organiser
Sue mine is too but I had a chat with AIB today and it might not be that simple from 29th March, depending on what happens of course. They're not able to issue new green cards that would be valid from 29th March in EU countries, in the event of us leaving without a deal. I told them I'd be travelling so close to that date that there wouldn't be time to sort anything out... he said to call them 2 weeks before I travel, by which time we might all have a lot more information. Currently they charge for green cards for non-EU countries, cost depending on where you're going and for how long... he did let slip later figures of £30 to £60. He also that, with all his years of experience in the business, he was confident that even with no deal, there would just have to be some kind of neighbourly reciprocal amnesty for several months at least for holidaymakers caught in the timing trap to get home legally... both for insurance purposes and the fact that our passports would no longer be valid! The alternative would be the ridiculous situation of thousands of holidaymakers needing to be housed or detained somewhere on the wrong side of the Channel. They'd want to be rid of us for sure, using some kind of amnesty period to allow everyone to get home.

I've given up worrying about it all... I'll just get myself as prepared as possible - with IDPs probably - and then get on with it. I can't see them making me spend the rest of my life in France or Holland but I can think of worse things at sea! :ROFLMAO:

They didn't mention any of that when Martin phoned ;) And you're right, they can't just shut everything down, they have enough immigrants as it is!!!:ROFLMAO:

nabsim

Have things changed since 80’s when you needed a green card for France? All it used to be was a translation of the relevant parts of your insurance details so they could see in their language? I didn’t used to pay for mine if I got from my insurer but did if I got elsewhere. If you have it on the back of your policy and it is a translation then you shouldn’t need anything else.

Sounds to me like a money making con again that will settle down when folks start boycotting those who charge

Trotter

Belt and braces yet again. Hopefully £20 wasted . Let’s face it. If we’re going across the water, we’d be silly not to have one. IDP x2 next week

alwaysared

Sounds to me like a money making con again that will settle down when folks start boycotting those who charge
It won't just be the insurance companies who use Brexit as an excuse to make a bit extra cash, they don't need much of a reason to jump on the gravy train :(

Regards,
Del

UFO

.... I had a chat with AIB today and it might not be that simple from 29th March, depending on what happens of course. ..... Currently they charge for green cards for non-EU countries, cost depending on where you're going and for how long... he did let slip later figures of £30 to £60. !
When I renewed with AIB in November I talked to them about insurance and breakdown cover for Bosnia and Montenegro. They confirmed both covered and that the Green Card would be issued free of charge - with the caveat 'subject to the underwriters at the time'. Bosnia and Montenegro are not in the EU but I would have thought if the Green Cards for these coutries are FOC then if needed the one for EU countries would be as well. But who knows how things will after the 29th March!!!

Minisorella

When I renewed with AIB in November I talked to them about insurance and breakdown cover for Bosnia and Montenegro. They confirmed both covered and that the Green Card would be issued free of charge - with the caveat 'subject to the underwriters at the time'. Bosnia and Montenegro are not in the EU but I would have thought if the Green Cards for these coutries are FOC then if needed the one for EU countries would be as well. But who knows how things will after the 29th March!!!
I wonder if they're free of charge if included at renewal but not otherwise? Certainly, my current European cover includes a paper saying it takes the place of a normal green card, so that was included free, albeit that it's probably just the EU, Norway and Switzerland. I spoke to two different people at AIB the other day and they both said they were chargeable, with the cost depending on destination and duration of the trip. For instance, he said a trip to Russia would be much more expensive than, say, a trip to Morocco... definitely waffled about £30 or £60 for some. I said to one chap that they always used to be free when we last needed them but he said he'd been in the business for over 30 years and there'd always been a charge. I didn't have the heart to point out that I was talking about the 70s and 80s... didn't want to upset the youngster!! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, I'm not disputing what you say or being argumentative... I'm just really confused that they would tell me something so different :unsure: I think I'll call them again tomorrow to clarify

UFO

We live in uncertain times, so who knows. If we will need International Driving Permits to drive in Europe and to pay for Greencards ... and who knows what else, then that's the way it is. Still lots of the continent we want to explore so we will keep on campervaning. We plan to be in France, Spain and Portugal in May and June, so things may be clearer by then ... or not!

nabsim

If I read it right in this months C&CC mag you only need an IDP for France and a different one for Spain but all other EU countries plus Norway and somewhere else will still accept the UK driving license if we had a no deal

cliveandann

Free Member
If I read it right in this months C&CC mag you only need an IDP for France and a different one for Spain but all other EU countries plus Norway and somewhere else will still accept the UK driving license if we had a no deal
Don't know where the C&CC found this information. There hasn't been any significant change to the Gov webpage at
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019
The thing many people don't realise about IDPs is that they are only valid when you have your national driving licence to accompany it. So all the EU will accept the UK driving licence but you will have to have the IDP as well unless something is agreed to the contrary in the event of a no deal.

nabsim

I won’t be going before B day now anyway so will wait and see what happens I think

Paulcourtyard

Scotland is a beautiful place to explore and so is Wales, let alone Cumbria, Yorkshire The lake district. Think I might skip Europe this year, wait till the dust settles.

Trotter

Scotland is a beautiful place to explore and so is Wales, let alone Cumbria, Yorkshire The lake district. Think I might skip Europe this year, wait till the dust settles.
Know what you mean. Thing is, if I don’t do it now, I’m not sure if I ever will. Getting older daily. Starting to feel it as we’ll. I’m putting it down to the cold weather and that four letter word, WORK ?

rayc

Free Member
I think many are doing the same. In normal times I would have renewed my eurotunnel frequent traveller by now at an up front cost of £500 or so. It may get busy in the UK of course but out of school holidays the C&CC THS network will be popular but not too full.