Grey waste at rallies

St3v3

Following on from yet another grey waste thread, is it possible to detail what each venue wants us to do with grey water? Generators, dogs and loose children seem to be covered usually but I don't think I've seen mention of it. With that many people at a meet someone is bound to do it 'wrong' and maybe it would stop any arguments/snide comments if the meet details mentioned what to do.

Thoughts?

I try to list if there is a elsan / waste water disposal point, that point can be used for either soiled waste or grey waste . I don't mind grey waste let straight out onto grass if we are on a private grass field and I have not been told any different by the owners , obviously don't fill your tank then let it out just let it trickle as you use it and put a plug filter into your plug hole to catch any food waste as you empty it . It is probably best to check with the organiser either before you go or when you first arrive

Last edited:
I make a straw filter out of a fruit juice bottle.
Cut a load of little slots around the bottom half with a dremel, fill with dry grass and in places where it is permitted to drain to ground I run the grey waste outlet pipe though this to catch any food particles or fat that might have found its way to the tank.
Simple to do and just throw away and do a new one after use (end up with plenty of fruit juice bottles anyway and plenty of dry grass so just takes 5 minutes to make)

Maybe overkill but not comfortable just dumping to ground.

We do a lot of C&CC THS's and the marshalls never ever tell you what to do with grey waste. They always point out the Elsan point and bins and drinking water taps but never what to do with grey water. I always ask and they tend to shrug their shoulders as if they never asked themselves and then say 'in the hedge'.

We do a lot of C&CC THS's and the marshalls never ever tell you what to do with grey waste. They always point out the Elsan point and bins and drinking water taps but never what to do with grey water. I always ask and they tend to shrug their shoulders as if they never asked themselves and then say 'in the hedge'.

Grey waste should be disposed of at the Elsan / waste water point and large venues will expect you to do this , however on a private field that does not have animals grazing on it , I think you will find a lot of stewards will turn a blind eye to filtered grey water being let out of your van , as I have said in the previous post , it is best to check with the organiser before you do this

Last edited:
So it seems a lot of it's and buts, asking the steward isn't right, as not everyone will ask. If the steward knows, it could be in the rally organisation thread surely?

Saying points are available doesn't say don't run it into the grass.

See my problem? lol.

Steve it could be in the rally organisation thread but this will just tell you to dispose of any waste at a waste disposal point . I suppose it is down to the individual steward and the venue you are attending . Like you said a lot of ifs and buts ;)

Last edited:
When I first started going to VW Festivals, the first few times I asked where I should dispose of the grey water and the look I got like it was a question in another language. I don't tend to ask any longer unless the show is held at some kind of sporting ground (e.g. Rugby Club)
(plenty of shows I go to, you have to shift cow pats before putting awning ground sheets down!)

FWIW, my grey tank holds more water than I use in a week of being away so doesn't matter if can't dump either way. How long can other go? surely the duration of a meet?

I suppose it is down to the individual steward and the venue you are attending .

So what I'm asking is if the steward/venue can decide before the booking thread goes up, and that information be included in there.

As a C&CC steward on many different sites here is the standard advice. Empty waste water around the edge of the field. Do not let water escape from your waste water onto the ground where you are camped, even if you have a soakaway. On odd occasions the landowner may want waste water into a drain or a container, but that is very unusual. Elsan tanks should not normally be used for waste (grey) water as they are costly to empty.

Put a bucket under your grey waste outlet,make sure the bucket has holes in the bottom,as long as you appear to be doing the right thing everyone's happy!

Put a bucket under your grey waste outlet,make sure the bucket has holes in the bottom,as long as you appear to be doing the right thing everyone's happy!

That`s not very clever if it`s said they want it disposing of in the proper place.

If i see anyone doing that i will report them.

I usually bring mine home in the tank then let it out over my drive, where it gets washed away by the rain. Reg sorts out any bits on the plates before they get as far as the sink. I don't cook much, no grease goes down the sink, only a small quantity of washing and washing up water.

Most of the places we stop at are fields so we let the grey trickle through an extended hose to underneath the van, thus avoiding a soggy mess next to our doorstep. On car parks etc grey water is disposed of in drain point provided if there is one or we take it home.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back