H7 Boxer bulbs to HID

1977paul

Hi all
I'm looking to change Boxer H7 to HID bulbs.
Got the right kit, but the headlight shell has a metal cover that sits over the end of the bulb and the HID bulb is longer than the H7 that's standard. Does anyone know if it is safe to remove the metal cover and what function it performs other than perhaps a heat shield? Don't know if HID bulb will create a lot of heat compared to H7?
Cheers all.

I don’t know about the shielding, it’s probably an aide to the focus of the beam. However, HID lights must have, headlamp adjustment and a wash facility, or you will fail MOT. If you’re on a canbus system it may trigger a bulb failure warning, and that’s also a fail.

I don’t know about the shielding, it’s probably an aide to the focus of the beam. However, HID lights must have, headlamp adjustment and a wash facility, or you will fail MOT. If you’re on a canbus system it may trigger a bulb failure warning, and that’s also a fail.
Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that if I want to change to HID bulbs I need to add a washing system and adjustment to a headlamp that never had a wash system fitted and a nut n bolt adjuster?
I am just looking at changing bulbs, not the headlights. They are the same wattage.

Haya
Ive fitted HID to mine, just get a long bar (I used a 3/8 socket bar) and gently push the shield forward, there is enough play in it mate and had no problems with the focus.
SOOOOO much better.
Bill

Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that if I want to change to HID bulbs I need to add a washing system and adjustment to a headlamp that never had a wash system fitted and a nut n bolt adjuster?
I am just looking at changing bulbs, not the headlights. They are the same wattage.

That's about the level of it..... Self levelling headlight/suspension required along with e marked lenses.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-hid-headlamps#hid-headlamp-unit-requirements

Thanks, that sums it up neatly

Fortunately for me HIDs on a motorbike seem to be exempt (or not considered) as mine pass the MOT no worries. Very, very, very bright too!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back