Habitation door

Campervanannie

The wind caught my habitation door while up in Scotland and now you cannot open it from the outside but it still opens from the inside anyone had their door in bits and repaired it, my friend Rae has had a look and thinks he may have an idea but any further input will be gratefully received

When it happened to ours it was a sheared pin in the outside handle mechanism, you can diy a repair and there was an article in MMM this year showing how. I’ll try and check which month, you can also buy the replacement mechanism from around £50.
Dave

If it is this one and the pin has sheared as per the red arrow in the pic, the trick is to drill a hole in the arm and glue in a metal pin (suitable cut off nail etc) and the job should be good.....

After wind slammed my door shut it must have moved the lock catch on the frame because I can only open my habitation door by pressing with one hand on the door to relieve the pressure on the lock then pulling the handle with the other hand, I know I could adjust the lock but I have just got used to it figuring if anyone tried to break in they would think it was locked.
Does your outside handle feel tight or is it pulling open but not opening the door?

After wind slammed my door shut it must have moved the lock catch on the frame because I can only open my habitation door by pressing with one hand on the door to relieve the pressure on the lock then pulling the handle with the other hand, I know I could adjust the lock but I have just got used to it figuring if anyone tried to break in they would think it was locked.
Does your outside handle feel tight or is it pulling open but not opening the door?
The outside handle has hardly any movement in it when you try to pull it with your fingers to open it.

If it’s hardly moving it’s not the pin as when the pin shears the handle moves very freely and does nothing! Sounds more like one or both of the actuating rods have got jammed stopping the handle movement. As Graham said it needs the inside door cover taking off so that you can see what is going on.
Dave

Sounds like it poss bent hinges .
Need adjusting on hinges not the fixed locking points on frame.
For some reason on some doors . The out side handle need to travel a greater distance to unlock them ..

You could try this open the door 4 /5 inches and push on the open side of the door to ward's the hinges this Hopefully will straighten the hinge and pins.increasing the gap on the locking side of door.

When the door is open Annie does it operate freely from inside and outside? If yes i would think it’s not the lock/ handle but hinges/alignment

When the door is open Annie does it operate freely from inside and outside? If yes i would think it’s not the lock/ handle but hinges/alignment
It doesn’t move even when the door is open and the inside one is now very sloppy.

After my door slammed in the wind on Shell Island, one of the hinges was bent... this was added to an existing problem with a fused hinge pin on one of the other hinges. Paul and Alan managed to sort it all out for me like the heroes they are :love:

Have you not fixed it yet then? What you playing at? I would volunteer but would probably bugger it up completely lol what’s Rae doing leaving a damsel in distress???

It doesn’t move even when the door is open and the inside one is now very sloppy.
The outside one will not move when the door is open unless you put something in the lock and push it in to the 'locked position', I use a screwdriver and press the latch in if I am testing locks

untitled.jpg

push that back until it clicks in the locked position, then try the outside handle, if it unlocks the problem is adjustment, if it is still tight the lock is the problem

To be fair to all the knights in shining armour. Yo day is not the day to be working on your door.

To be fair to all the knights in shining armour. Yo day is not the day to be working on your door.
Not just today Lee but I will sort it out when the better weather hits March lol as I can manage for now and it still locks so not a problem.

Well I am amazed that none of you heroes fixed it for Annie at Buggy, If Jim had been there he would have done :)

Anyone would thing it was winter and cold or something :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back