Habitation door

silverweed

My Hymer is 20 years old now, it is having a replacement habitation door. The door does not have a window in it. With the replacement would you choose to have a window or not. I can’t decide. I wonder if the more that it has the more there is to go wrong. It might leak, is it less secure as I suppose it could be prised out and then there is access to the lock. What would you choose

Yes that’s what I’ve been thinking. I know the little extra light from the door may good but the down side appears greater. Has anyone with a door had any problems

The glass in the door is a good idea, as if someone comes a knocking at night, you can check them out first before opening the door.
Yes - for safety

My door is solid and has one of those spy hole things you get in hotel doors so you can see who is there without opening blind on side windows.
If I had to replace I would just go for cheapest that did the job and fit okay. I would be more tempted with stable type door like a caravan. Good job we are all different huh 😂😂

No window, I’ve also got a 20 year old Hymer (B680) and I think we get enough light, also you may have a job getting a door, good luck 😉

it would be a simple and worthwhile exercise to make a cardboard door with a hinged flap , to see what difference a window would make. i reckon more than you'd think !

I would go with Mr Brown's comment, front door windows shatter easily so if a determined Johnny Theif wanted into a van the glass would be the easier option rather than prising plastic off, cracking it and make much more noise.

Well you would think breaking a glass window would be easier but it always depends on who is wielding the crowbar

Attachments

• FEFA1853-C059-4499-8D75-A378EC0B13A6.jpeg
    FEFA1853-C059-4499-8D75-A378EC0B13A6.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 8E063853-62FB-4317-AB3B-ACFC95B6CB50.jpeg
    8E063853-62FB-4317-AB3B-ACFC95B6CB50.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11
The glass in the door is a good idea, as if someone comes a knocking at night, you can check them out first before opening the door.
Yes - for safety
Yes but sometimes you don't want to see who it is
twisty-the-clown-970.jpg

We have a Hymer with a rear hab door so it is next to the cooking area and we would love a window in the door, it is a dark area in ours because we changed the rooflight in that area to a turbofan, a door window would give that extra light

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back