HAVE YOU WEIGHED IN?

Gordon, it puzzles me somewhat when I read that people have their weighbridge ticket for proof of not being overweight. Surely the ticket only shows the actual weight when weighed and anything could have been loaded into the van since then. I always understood that what is important is the actual weight of the van and all it’s contents if you are stopped and weighed at the roadside.

Loaded the van up except a few items i know the weight of and was really pleased at the weight of 3030 on the weighbridge
Not telling the boss how much free there I’d!
Got my ticket for proof if stopped here or in France
It will be top of the list when I get my new motorhome in 6/8 weeks.
The Pilote website states 730kg payload but it’s the usual con that all the manufacturers use ie. 20lt water, ill be filling up with 130litres. Oven, comfort pack which adds 30kg, satellite, full fuel tank, tool kit etc, etc.
That’s without the spare wheel I’ll be carrying and enough food to last 6 months lol. If I’m near the limit I will uprate to 3800kg as I’ve 7 years to go before I hit 70 years of age.

Gordon, it puzzles me somewhat when I read that people have their weighbridge ticket for proof of not being overweight. Surely the ticket only shows the actual weight when weighed and anything could have been loaded into the van since then. I always understood that what is important is the actual weight of the van and all it’s contents if you are stopped and weighed at the roadside.
Yeah your spot on Tony,but I filled all up know the weight I’m putting and I know the rough balance left spare which gives me peace of mind knowing if I’m stopped I SHOULD be ok ,can never guarantee but

In the UK demonstrating that you have made some effort to remain legal could make a difference to the outcome, if weighed. If an official pulls you over and says “follow me to the weigh bridge” a recent ticket might be enough to convince him/her to find a more promising candidate for weighing. No one likes wasting their time.

Just checked my first weight ticket for this van and inc

Me
Awning
Twin refillable gas cylinders
70 litres water with full boiler
carpets
Standard factory fitted extras include oven sky lites etc
3090kg
Alugas full,derv full.water tank full,10 let fresh drink water container full.my fat bum in seat ,cadac in,my bumph in garage table n quest chairs in,wardrobe loaded most tinned food in so all I have to get in is the boss and two eco cycles
So I’m chuffed at the weigh in
The ticket I always get every year for my own peace but as said may go a long way with it being dated etc

You`ve more payload left than me :(

I`m at 4,020kg absolutely fully loaded with 4,100kg MTPLM and equally as important both axles are " within parameters " as they say (y)

Yeah I’m really pleased with the payload but no way am I going to let the boss know ?

Weighed my van with full gas, fresh water and fuel, and everything that came with it from the converter, but nothing else, not even me. So I have a true 'baseline'.
Pleased to come away with 620kg payload, more than enough for a small PVC.

I never knew this:

"New technology means that your motorhome can be weighed while it’s in motion and many motorways have this technology built in. It’s linked to cameras that detect number plates and can automatically compare the vehicle’s actual weight with its registered weight. This weight-in-motion (WIM) system was primarily brought in to tackle overladen trucks, but works just as effectively on motorhomes. We know VOSA has targeted vehicles leaving or arriving at motorhome shows in the past. We understand there are at least 12 WIMs in the road network but some estimates now put this at nearer 50. "

I never knew this:

"New technology means that your motorhome can be weighed while it’s in motion and many motorways have this technology built in. It’s linked to cameras that detect number plates and can automatically compare the vehicle’s actual weight with its registered weight. This weight-in-motion (WIM) system was primarily brought in to tackle overladen trucks, but works just as effectively on motorhomes. We know VOSA has targeted vehicles leaving or arriving at motorhome shows in the past. We understand there are at least 12 WIMs in the road network but some estimates now put this at nearer 50. "

There is more info here on how they work and some of the trucker blogs give info on locations, but there is no definitive UK list for obvious reasons .........

I weighed mine a while back and it was 3460 without a full tank of Fuel or water, so I had its carrying capacity increased to 4100 and now I’m happy to be within limits.

Do you have to pay for being weighed and book in advance?
2nd one probably depends on the weighbridge
1st one I would say is almost certainly yes.

The weighbridge I use is part of a Transport Companies yard and is a "turn up and get weighed" setup. I just park up on the weightbridge and they are happy to just tell me the weight , but when I want an official issued ticket, they charge (think it was £5 last time?).

Yes I weighed in, my 3500kg GVW was overweight at 3830kgs so now uprated it to 4200kg GVW to have no future worries and the road tax is also £100 cheaper. The theoretical 700kg payload increase is mainly just really an extra useable 190kg on the back axle. But maybe not everyone carries a 170kg 300cc scooter in their garage like we often do?
You can just drive onto virtually any weighbridge and take a visual of the weight for free, but only pay if you want an official ticket. (y)

I have used 2 weigh bridges recently (Wellington and Wimborne) and neither had a reading that could be seen without paying.

When I had finished my build I loaded'Millie' with absolutely everything and a bit more as if we were going off for a long tour, I filled both the fresh water, grey water and black water tanks to the brim, full fule tanks etc. plus our 3 dogs and my most beloved and then went to the weigh bridge and duly collected the ticket which indicated I still had a very large margin before reaching MGW.

That was back in 2015 when the ticket cost me £6.50

The tickets are always kept in the vehicle documents wallet in the cab.

Yes I weighed in, my 3500kg GVW was overweight at 3830kgs so now uprated it to 4200kg GVW to have no future worries and the road tax is also £100 cheaper. The theoretical 700kg payload increase is mainly just really an extra useable 190kg on the back axle. But maybe not everyone carries a 170kg 300cc scooter in their garage like we often do?
You can just drive onto virtually any weighbridge and take a visual of the weight for free, but only pay if you want an official ticket. (y)
What make and size of tyres are you using, I found that a problem on my Phantom with 15” wheels?

My Burstner is on 15” wheels. I was using 109 rated tyres which are just within the limits allowed when it was uprated to 4100kg. I have since put 225/70r15 on the rear which gives a more sensible weight rating, and will do the fronts when they need to be changed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back