HEAVEN ON YOUR DOORSTEP

Wully

Got up this morning with nothing to do sun was out so thought I’d go for a wee run round some of my old haunts. Left the house about 9am drove round to Greenock parked up at the front had breakfast then headed for Wemyss Bay caught a ferry across to Rothsay on Isle of Bute. Went to the cemetery to put some flowers for my grans grave and clean the headstone. Had a bite too eat in town then on to another ferry leaving Bute for the short crossing to Colintraive then headed for Tighnabruaich stoped off at the viewpoint had a cup of tea and a fag thinking there is a god my favourite place on Earth other than my bed lol. Then on to kames for a tricky drive down the side of loch fyne via otter ferry the tightest drive and the narrowest road you’d ever want to drive for about 20 mile felt like a 100. Eventually leading to srachur ana a nice A road for the fifty miles home. One of them days when I feel blessed for what I have on my doorstep. And home in time for dinner ?9EFC1DC2-D34A-4CAE-86A1-404045423964.png
9EFC1DC2-D34A-4CAE-86A1-404045423964.png6913EFBA-8B1E-42B8-97B5-570EF278FBE2.png376F53C0-A4A9-4ED1-A72F-91C3FD23A7C8.pngBEF7564C-4991-4529-95F1-D68CB6EEED5F.jpegCAFADA69-FD11-41C4-97BC-6AFC5A0ED527.jpeg86CB81EA-DB43-4691-BD0B-5FD69CFD8FF0.pngAECA1DBA-0C96-4664-8CF6-C11FE5CBC38C.png3B08CF1D-FBF2-4890-8B51-3F0D3C16D497.png100E2772-CAFD-4226-AA57-EC3057A965A1.jpeg

Got up this morning with nothing to do sun was out so thought I’d go for a wee run round some of my old haunts. Left the house about 9am drove round to Greenock parked up at the front had breakfast then headed for Wemyss Bay caught a ferry across to Rothsay on Isle of Bute. Went to the cemetery to put some flowers for my grans grave and clean the headstone. Had a bite too eat in town then on to another ferry leaving Bute for the short crossing to Colintraive then headed for Tighnabruaich stoped off at the viewpoint had a cup of tea and a fag thinking there is a god my favourite place on Earth other than my bed lol. Then on to kames for a tricky drive down the side of loch fyne via otter ferry the tightest drive and the narrowest road you’d ever want to drive for about 20 mile felt like a 100. Eventually leading to srachur ana a nice A road for the fifty miles home. One of them days when I feel blessed for what I have on my doorstep. And home in time for dinner ?View attachment 43056
That drive is just perfect Wully.

Well done getting down the road from Otter Ferry in your van.

We did what you described last summer, except that was over several days and part of a longer tour.

We spent our 30th anniversary at Rothesay and as a special treat paid for a camp site and a meal at the Hotel on the front !

We took a wrong turn and ended up going down a road called the Serpentine ! The switch backs were very tight in the MoHo .

We spent ages in the information centre, it had loads of photos of Rothesay in it's peak with the steamers arriving from Glasgow.

You are a lucky man with all this on your doorstep !

Paul

Glad you had a great trip - you even passed my door in Port Bannatyne wae the van parked outside !!

I was up in Inveraray last weekend & came down Ardrishaig, Tarbert, Portavadie, Tighnabruaich, back to Colintraive & home
I have to agree about the viewpoint - absolutely stunning.
Left Friday, back Tuesday, & thoroughly enjoyed a nice taster of what is on my doorstep.
Lots more to come - most definitely.

You can’t hide Seen you’re van parked stopped for 5 minutes What a view you have from your front window you told me about it last time I seen you. You’re a lucky man?507E90EE-ABD0-4F4B-883F-4FDAC5D2C12A.png2D6EA6FB-A78B-4AAF-8134-9A6DFEE102A3.jpeg

Wonderful country right on our doorstep. If we did that trip it would probably take us a week as we always get side tracked and lost.:)

R&P

Got up this morning with nothing to do sun was out so thought I’d go for a wee run round some of my old haunts. Left the house about 9am drove round to Greenock parked up at the front had breakfast then headed for Wemyss Bay caught a ferry across to Rothsay on Isle of Bute. Went to the cemetery to put some flowers for my grans grave and clean the headstone. Had a bite too eat in town then on to another ferry leaving Bute for the short crossing to Colintraive then headed for Tighnabruaich stoped off at the viewpoint had a cup of tea and a fag thinking there is a god my favourite place on Earth other than my bed lol. Then on to kames for a tricky drive down the side of loch fyne via otter ferry the tightest drive and the narrowest road you’d ever want to drive for about 20 mile felt like a 100. Eventually leading to srachur ana a nice A road for the fifty miles home. One of them days when I feel blessed for what I have on my doorstep. And home in time for dinner ?View attachment 43056
View attachment 43056View attachment 43057View attachment 43058View attachment 43059View attachment 43060View attachment 43061View attachment 43062View attachment 43063View attachment 43064

Beautiful.

• Love
Reactions: Lee
Used to love it on my boat around that area, on a sunny day going down the Kyle's of Bute was fabulous, used to stop in the harbour at Rothesay and get Fish and chips from across the road, spent 6 years up in Largs marina so have travelled everywhere around that area by sea, including Ireland and up the West coast of Scotland around Skye.

It has to be one off the most scenic places on earth, I could always find a secluded bay to drop anchor. Thank goodness the southerners don't venture up to Scotland on there boats because of the weather. You try finding a secluded spot to anchor on the south coast, impossible.

Now that I have swapped hobbys I'm Interested in covering some of my old haunts by land, it will give me a different prospective, but if I'm honest I still miss my boat, it just got ridiculously expensive with fuel and marina costs and then the maintenance side of things, couldn't justify it in the end.

boat scotland 037.jpg

Last edited:
Quote Wes!
Ask Nabs.

View attachment 43056View attachment 43057View attachment 43058View attachment 43059View attachment 43060View attachment 43061View attachment 43062View attachment 43063View attachment 43064
jammy bugger , we've got a dual carriageway to look at !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back