Help. Fridge on error.

sydnsue

We have just arrived at Newhaven ferry and found the Domestic fridge is beeping with the error triangle lit. It won't work on gas or battery. Any ideas. We are just about to leave for Dieppe.

I was just about click send and my wife was turning it on and off and now it has lit on gas. Just in case this happens again, what's the problem?

PXL_20240901_200148114.jpg

Happens occasionally on mine when I change gas cylinders. I can only assume it’s an air lock. I just keep repeatedly trying to ignite it on gas and turning it on and off and eventually it will ignite. My fridge / freezer has the same control panel as your image so same or similar unit.
Regarding you stated it won’t work on gas or battery, it will only work on battery if the vehicle engine is running and that would only maintain whatever temp the fridge is set at.

Happens occasionally on mine when I change gas cylinders. I can only assume it’s an air lock. I just keep repeatedly trying to ignite it on gas and turning it on and off and eventually it will ignite. My fridge / freezer has the same control panel as your image so same or similar unit.
Regarding you stated it won’t work on gas or battery, it will only work on battery if the vehicle engine is running and that would only maintain whatever temp the fridge is set at.
We have just arrived at Newhaven ferry and found the Domestic fridge is beeping with the error triangle lit. It won't work on gas or battery. Any ideas. We are just about to leave for Dieppe.

I was just about click send and my wife was turning it on and off and now it has lit on gas. Just in case this happens again, what's the problem?

View attachment 74054
We turn the gas hob on first for 15-20 seconds to draw gas into the pipes, and then light the fridge on gas. Helps to drive the air out of the pipework, but, as Obanboy says, especially after changing/refilling the cylinder

Steve

On some models the fridge will not work on gas until the engine has been off for about 15 minutes or so. It’s a safety feature so that gas mode doesn’t auto select at a petrol station when stopping to fuel up. The fridge manual will confirm this (usually downloadable if you don’t have a hard copy handy).

Gas fridges urrgh😡
Yes I’m still using mine. Someone said that I have a love/hate relationship with mine.
Wrong, wrong. Only hate.

To explain to anyone interested and who doesn’t already know.
I had been using two chest fridges. One as a fridge and the other as a freezer.
Trying to find anything in the fridge was becoming such a faff, I knew I needed an upright fridge. Mmm, £750 ???
Looking around the van, there’s this monstrosity in the van. So bit the bullet and started using it again.
+10, -2, +5, forever changing the gas flow. Doing me ‘ed in.
Still can’t justify spending anymore of the kids inheritance.
I have tried taking it out once before. It’s so well fitted, I reckon the van could have been built around it.

Thanks to Greengrass, who convinced me to use the fridge again, and Womble for reminding me that living in an English winter, getting rid of the gas wasn’t the best idea, I suppose I’m stuck with it.
Although, I’ll see how this winter goes with the van. I might try a domestic 240v fridge, next year.
If I’m spared, lol.

We turn the gas hob on first for 15-20 seconds to draw gas into the pipes, and then light the fridge on gas. Helps to drive the air out of the pipework, but, as Obanboy says, especially after changing/refilling the cylinder

Steve
I do the same, sometimes works other times it doesn’t.

I have encountered issues with fridges where the control system has "frozen" and it just requires a reboot to resolve the issue.

On some models the fridge will not work on gas until the engine has been off for about 15 minutes or so. It’s a safety feature so that gas mode doesn’t auto select at a petrol station when stopping to fuel up. The fridge manual will confirm this (usually downloadable if you don’t have a hard copy handy).
What a cracking Safety Feature that is , never thought of that happening , ours is an Auto Fridge wonder if it has that feature ??

It seems to be working fine so hopefully just an air bubble in the gas line. However I have another question in another post about the pump and mirror. Everything's going wrong.

Whatever fuel you're running your fridge (or Truma heating) on, make sure the gas/mains is on first. This avoids most error messages and problems. Switch the fridge/heating off before removing the power source.

Whatever fuel you're running your fridge (or Truma heating) on, make sure the gas/mains is on first. This avoids most error messages and problems. Switch the fridge/heating off before removing the power source.
This is sound advice - we've had no end of issues with the Truma heater erroring on gas and electric which seems to be down to not having the fuel source actually on when you try to switch the heating or water on. If it's so "intelligent" you'd have thought it would start working when you turn the appropriate fuel supply on instead of showing an undecipherable error code 🤣

Back