HELP Puppy On Board

jon2

Hi
Seeking advice regarding 1st time Puppy Owner (6m.o.) taking our very energetic Cocker Spaniel touring U.K this year. Would appreciate any advice and tips. Know many of you are Dog Owners , as we were odd ones out!!! Tia

You will find it fairly straight forward , just remember the basics like dog food and poo bags also water for the dog , also basic tablets , flees , worms , diarrhea , also a dog towel to dry it , we put its water bowl inside a plastic tray then it does not get the floor wet , also dog basket and bedding and a blanket to cover it up on cold nights , we also leave the radio on for the dog when we have to leave it in the van , dont forget to check when you book on campsites that they accept dogs . You will find that the dog and yourselves will soon adjust to the outdoor life

I bought our first MH simply to be able to take the dogs away on holiday with us without worrying about chalet restrictions etc.

They both took to it like seasoned travellers and would eagerly jump in any time I opened the hab door

Never any worries with them. Sadly neither of them are around any more, but replacement, Molly, in my avatar, has made the MH her domain

She’s only been to Scotland and France so far (and 10 miles accidentally in Spain) but the others had been to Belgium, Italy and Switzerland as well.

Go for it, just make certain he/she has the favourite bed and toys put onboard nd is suitably restrained.

Dogs always make for a good conversation starter when away.

Get a road refresher dog bowl so there's no spillages while travelling,Pets At Home have them or online,very short trips until they get used to the motion,my pup would only last until the next layby before throwing up. I found a three metre tether was adequate and clipped it to a wire under the chassis to give the full length of van to run.
If you are using a harness do not tether them on it,use a collar.
Enjoy!

If your motorhome is parked up at your home could you leave a door open to allow the dog to go inside ? Have water available and perhaps the dogs bed inside for it. that’s what I did and now mine spends more time in my van when at home than in the house.

Reactions: Rec
Think about how you will secure the dog in the van while travelling, or will puppy just sit on the driver's lap and help with the steering? Our Border Terrier lies in her basket behind the driver's seat, with a harness and lead attached to a secure point so that she doesn't wander and in the event of an accident or emergency stop she doesn't hit the windscreen or the back of my head.

I used to carry our collie in the passenger's seat in the car when driving alone, until I had to brake suddenly and she flew like a missile into the footwell. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, but definitely not amused.

Oh, on the subject of driving - she’s been told “no! you don’t have a licence”
I don't know what it is with dogs always wanting to seat in the driver's seat,my one always gets a lot of looks parked there just like yours,he's got the 2 passenger seats to stretch out on but prefers my seat.

When i rescued my boy 2 years ago in Portugal he was fine in the van now after 10 minutes he gets travel sickness so the vet calls it has anyone ever had a dog that gets sick in a motor i would love to know how to stop it (y)

When i rescued my boy 2 years ago in Portugal he was fine in the van now after 10 minutes he gets travel sickness so the vet calls it has anyone ever had a dog that gets sick in a motor i would love to know how to stop it (y)

No food for a few hours before travel can help, because the problem has appeared later it could be stress related,so short trips to somewhere close like the beach or somewhere else you know he enjoys,to make travel a positive experience. There are drugs for motion sickness but that's one for the vet.

Don't suppose he has changed where he sits in the van, or different van? Otherwise, as Asterix says, it must be stress related. Some people say ginger biscuits help.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back