Help with plug socket please

• Thread starter Deleted member 5680
  • Start date

Deleted member 5680

I wondered if anyone could help please.
I would like to replace a socket in the kitchen as it looks like it’s been overloaded at some point ( previous owner ). I can’t seem to work out how to remove the socket . It’s got 2 lugs which I need to press in to release the socket I think ? Can anyone advise me please ?65A2384B-B365-428C-8F2C-77C67F03FE67.jpeg7C729B03-DDF8-468F-9451-DF2BE0F943C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks as though you are right about the lugs needing to be pushed in,try a small screw driver or similar ? make sure the power is off before you mess with it , it looks as though it converts continental sockets to our type UK, never seen those before looked on line at suppliers but not much info try a U tube search ?

Thanks buddy . I did try a few months ago . Powered down the van and tried to push on the side of those lugs with a screw driver , I think it’s just really old plastic so it probably really tight but it’s almost like I need to push on both sides ( and both lugs ) at the same time , not sure what tool I would need for that . I will have another go at it tomorrow .
Thanks again for your help 👍🏻

Thanks buddy . I did try a few months ago . Powered down the van and tried to push on the side of those lugs with a screw driver , I think it’s just really old plastic so it probably really tight but it’s almost like I need to push on both sides ( and both lugs ) at the same time , not sure what tool I would need for that . I will have another go at it tomorrow .
Thanks again for your help 👍🏻
Couple of pennies one each side is what I would try, could be that the plastic has melted too thus sealing it ? Can you not get at the cables behind it and take the whole thing off and replace with a UK socket ?

I’ll give it a go with the pennies mate . I think ( as far as I know ) it’s a standard factory fit and it’s a swift motorhome so shouldn’t be a continental socket . I will do some research .
I think you are correct about the plastic possibly melting a bit inside the unit and this is making the removal harder than it should be . Thanks for your help 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I see scorch marks on the faceplate..
Very wise to fit NEW
Maybe check the wiring to it as well ! That may have degraded with perceived overloading !

Question for those with real knowledge..
Woud you use a "normal kitchen kettle" which can draw 12 amps or so...NOT ME !

PS we have a small fan heater which we use on EHU
It has 1000Watt and 500Watt settings.
We only use it on 500Watts and it takes a bit longer before the thermostat kicks in to turn it off !

Last edited:
When you do get it out I'd suggest you check the wiring as it seems to me that the overheating has taken place between what should be the live and earth terminals, to me that would suggest the socket was wired incorrectly.
Does the cover with flip up not prise off of the main unit?

Have you used a generator plugged into the 230 volt input on van?

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your help .
This morning I have replaced the socket . It was just a case of pushing the lugs in hard one at at time and the plate was easy to remove . I did have a bit of a problem in that the microwave didn’t work when I switched the power back on but I soon discovered that I had pulled the connector apart when I pulled the wire through to fit the new socket . I would imagine at some point in the past , the microwave and a domestic kettle have been used at the same time and had overloaded the wires.
Thanks again for all the replies

Attachments

• F8F0E3A4-7AC3-45FB-BEEB-7BAE6B20ACE2.jpeg
    F8F0E3A4-7AC3-45FB-BEEB-7BAE6B20ACE2.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DCC555E3-D1B5-4CFB-8876-B675DC96FFDD.jpeg
    DCC555E3-D1B5-4CFB-8876-B675DC96FFDD.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 34560414-8153-4937-A06A-403CD7B57D1B.jpeg
    34560414-8153-4937-A06A-403CD7B57D1B.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 34
  • 8FFE2B72-BBDE-4BD4-96B4-51ADE1523483.jpeg
    8FFE2B72-BBDE-4BD4-96B4-51ADE1523483.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 2D49E15E-1FA7-4359-B501-31506DFC762F.jpeg
    2D49E15E-1FA7-4359-B501-31506DFC762F.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 38
Thank you to everyone for your help .
This morning I have replaced the socket . It was just a case of pushing the lugs in hard one at at time and the plate was easy to remove . I did have a bit of a problem in that the microwave didn’t work when I switched the power back on but I soon discovered that I had pulled the connector apart when I pulled the wire through to fit the new socket . I would imagine at some point in the past , the microwave and a domestic kettle have been used at the same time and had overloaded the wires.
Thanks again for all the replies
Sounds like you need to check the rating of the MCB that is feeding this circuit as a matter of urgency if you believe it could be overloaded.
The cable used should be capable of supporting whatever the MCB is rated at. The socket should be capable of supporting a minimum of 13A.
If you are using a typical "commando" hookup plug, they are rated at a maximum of 16A (which is just above the maximum current rating of a 1.5mm2 cable, and within the rating of a 2.5mm cable) Depending on the power rating of the Kettle and the Microwave it could be ok to run both at the same time.

It should not be possible to overload a properly configured setup.

Looking at the second photo, there is a split in the housing by the neutral connection. Probably overtightened there when fitted and depending on the socket design caused a poor connection.

Thank you Wildebus . My technical knowledge when it comes to electrics is limited to changing a plug , which is basically what this was . I have included another photo.
So you think it should be ok now or shall I get someone to check it ?
Thank you

Attachments

• 24DFD705-661F-4B8F-BEDA-54A6DD45EF9C.jpeg
    24DFD705-661F-4B8F-BEDA-54A6DD45EF9C.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 35
It is a Berker socket, which you don't tend to find on anything other than factory motorhomes (bound to be someone who has got one on a self-build having said that :) ) - so I would hope/expect everything was installed correctly when new.
I do suspect overheating due to a bad connection on the socket that has been there for quite a while so you have almost certainly sorted it :)
I would still check the rating value on the MCBs (will be a number after a letter, such as "B10" or "C16" or suchlike - the number is the Amperage) - it is good to know what you have.

Someone commented about a possible mis-wiring? I wouldn't think so but never know! it is a good idea to carry a plug-in tester anyway so you can check the wiring when using a campsite EHU and also the kind of thing useful to have to just plug in after fitting a replacement socket as a final QA test once the socket is back in place.
This one is quite a nice one and as well as the lights telling you if it is wired right or not, it also tells you the Voltage -
QUILLE Socket Tester Mains Outlet Tester with LCD Display Neutral Live Earth Wire Testing RCD Test - UK Plug

1594389932126.png
... Current price is £9 from Amazon

Thanks Wildebus mate . I feel a bit more confident now . I’ve ordered one of the testing plugs you recommended and will have a look at the rating so I know what I have . I was silly not to change that plate before . I remember when I used a low wattage kettle and the pin was hot on the plug when I unplugged it . I feel stupid for not sorting it out before but glad it seems ok now . Thanks again for your excellent advice buddy 👍🏻👍🏻

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back